Upgrading from Alto. Which Hatch?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys,
My uncle currently owns an Alto, its now 6 years old, and is looking for an new car. His budget is around 4.5 -5. He has been searching and had decided upon Hyundai Santro (OR: 4.5lakh). I suggested him to search further (as I felt Santro is outdated!) and asked him to check Brio/Beat/figo etc, and after TD, he liked the Brio,and even after discount it would cost him 5.25lakh(free accessories: parking sensors,teflon,mats,flaps etc) . Now there comes Petrol/diesel confusion since he has a daily run of 30kms, and nearly around 1000km per month(in bangalore traffic). So search went further to Figo, Beat, Etios. The mid variants of Figo/Etios would cost him above 6.25 and decided against it.

Specifications:
Travel distance : 1000 KM's per month
Type : Hatchback
Budget : 4.5-5 Lakhs on road. Can extend a little bit for a fuel efficient diesel.
Basic Needs in car : Good ride quality/powerful AC/decent mileage and ASS/power window/central lock/music system.

So the choices are narrowed down to:
Hyundai Santro Xing GLS (4.5) / Hyundai Santro Xing GLS - LPG (4.8)
Honda Brio SMT (5.25)
Chevy beat LS- Diesel (5.8)

I really dont know much about LPG and how it will affect the engine. So guys please advise on that. Which would be a good choice to go for?

PS - Screw Banglore road tax!

Last edited:
Re: Upgrading from Alto, which hatch?

Hey Anand,

My choice would be Brio, it is really superb refined and very peppy one. Honda is always reliable and gives some wonderful FE too !!

If i suggest .Take Some Diesel car.according to high price of petrol.go for
1.Beat
2.Swift VDi
3.Vw Polo
and Last one is My Fav Ford Figo :) [clap]

If ur Uncle Have alto till then exchange the it u also get benifit of it.vw gives more Discount on that [:)] check review section .u might be help on that

Thread Starter #5

If i suggest .Take Some Diesel car.according to high price of petrol.go for
1.Beat
2.Swift VDi
3.Vw Polo
and Last one is My Fav Ford Figo :) [clap]
Swift VDi, Polo would go beyond 7 lakh in Bangalore. His max budget is 6 if its a diesel and around 5 for a petrol.

daily run 30x25 = 750
add another 250 kms i.e about 1000kms/month

your uncle will be better off with a petrol and only Brio comes to my mind in terms of FE, peppiness, Honda brand name and A.S.S.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i will say don't go for the santro. by adding a little more get the i10. i have both the cars so i'm telling you from my experience. i think the price difference will be 50000 but i10 is still better in terms of comfort and engine performance.

but yeah the maintenance of i10 is more than the santro. so i don't know what car your uncle will chose but if he chooses santro i'll recommend the i10.

Thread Starter #10
i will say don't go for the santro. by adding a little more get the i10. i have both the cars so i'm telling you from my experience. i think the price difference will be 50000 but i10 is still better in terms of comfort and engine performance.

but yeah the maintenance of i10 is more than the santro. so i don't know what car your uncle will chose but if he chooses santro i'll recommend the i10.
I10 is out of list, and if he's paying 50k more, he'd rather go for Brio, as I feel its the better among the two.

daily run 30x25 = 750
add another 250 kms i.e about 1000kms/month

your uncle will be better off with a petrol and only Brio comes to my mind in terms of FE, peppiness, Honda brand name and A.S.S.
Yup, Even I feel the same. But he's interested in Santro Xing because of LPG and low price!

Hi
Go for diesel figo. VFM
Figo diesel EXI would cost him around 6.4. Too much diff between the petrol cars he's considering.

Go for Beat diesel. Other option is Indica. or Go for Estilo or wagon R Duo (LPG).
Is the 3 cylinder noisy? How is the ride quality of Beat?
Indica is not considered as it has a taxi image, and my uncle being a doctor, I dont it is a good choice to go for.

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of LPG?

Thread Starter #11
Update:

Now the choices are narrowed down to:
Maruti A-Star VXi
Honda Brio EMT/SMT
Hyundai i10 Era/Magna

What kind of city mileage can we expect from these cars? My uncle was just getting 13kmpl in his Alto, and is looking for something that is really fuel efficient! Can brio/i10 deliver 15kmpl in city?
Please suggest guys!!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
so he brought i10 into consideration [:D]

no i10 won't give 15 kmpl in city. with AC off , maybe. don't know the traffic condition of cochin but definitely not in delhi. i get 10-12 kmpl with 100% AC , sedate driving.

and if he decides i10 then go for 1.2 and not 1.1. 1.2 is far far better. and at the same time i'll say swift's 1.2 is better than i10's 1.2

Last edited:
Update:

Now the choices are narrowed down to:
Maruti A-Star VXi
Honda Brio EMT/SMT
Hyundai i10 Era/Magna

What kind of city mileage can we expect from these cars? My uncle was just getting 13kmpl in his Alto, and is looking for something that is really fuel efficient! Can brio/i10 deliver 15kmpl in city?
Please suggest guys!!

no i10 won't give 15 kmpl in city. with AC off , maybe. don't know the traffic condition of cochin but definitely not in delhi. i get 10-12 kmpl with 100% AC , sedate driving.

and if he decides i10 then go for 1.2 and not 1.1. 1.2 is far far better. and at the same time i'll say swift's 1.2 is better than i10's 1.2
+1 to allhyundaicars,

Don't expect more than 15Kmpl in Cochin city too. A star may give good mileage when it is new.but the rear leg space and luggage space is very less.My friend feels his Astar LXi's clutch has worn out much early due to continuous usage in city, even though we got around 18KMPL in a recent Munnar trip(with A/c).
@anand-
for a 1000 KM/month usage in side city for most time for a middle aged person, especially a Doctor in the 5 lakh strict budget, i will suggest only Beat Diesel.
I had TDed a Beat LT, it has a enough space and power than i expected. The Cochin Showroom's TD car was crossed 24k mark, still i didnt feel it noisy from out side.Engine noise Inside cabin was very less than even new Cruze AT which i Tded just after that.

Thread Starter #14

+1 to allhyundaicars,

Don't expect more than 15Kmpl in Cochin city too. A star may give good mileage when it is new.but the rear leg space and luggage space is very less.My friend feels his Astar LXi's clutch has worn out much early due to continuous usage in city, even though we got around 18KMPL in a recent Munnar trip(with A/c).
@anand-
for a 1000 KM/month usage in side city for most time for a middle aged person, especially a Doctor in the 5 lakh strict budget, i will suggest only Beat Diesel.
I had TDed a Beat LT, it has a enough space and power than i expected. The Cochin Showroom's TD car was crossed 24k mark, still i didnt feel it noisy from out side.Engine noise Inside cabin was very less than even new Cruze AT which i Tded just after that.
Actually, its for my uncle and he's in Bangalore. He did not like Beat's design and feels its too sporty for him.

Finally, he has booked Honda Brio EMT (I told him a million times to go for SMT) 500000 ORP - 30000 discount + many accessories free (teflon, mats, flaps, park assist, side protector etc)

Ad!tya

Suspended
I would suggest you to go for Chevy Beat Diesel LS.
It fulfills almost all the criteria you have mentioned.
BTW Since now you have changed the list of cars considered, my vote would go for Honda Brio SMT.
It is a decent package with a nice OEM audio system, Honda ASS, Premium feel (comes with every Honda) and looks (for me, it looks funky and cute!). Don't get fooled by the exterior design, the Brio has lot more space inside.

You can have a TD and then decide.

Top Bottom