Help in Choosing a Right Car for Learner

Thread Starter #1
I am a learner driver planning to buy a new car which is easy and fun to drive for office commutation in Bangalore traffic.

Budget: (OTR price less than 10 lakhs)
New or Used: (New Car)
Top Five Priorities: (Excellent Low Speed Control, Precise and crispy Steering , Crisp pedals and slick gearshift, Easy and fun to drive in traffic)
Monthly Running: (Less than 1,000 kms )
Fuel: (Petrol or Diesel)
Transmission : Manual or Auto
Purpose: (Regular Use, Occasional Highway Trips)
Seating Capacity: (Maximum 5 Adults)
Type of Segment: (Hatchback or entry entry/mid sedan)

Following are my preferences:
1. Steering: Crispy steering and pedals (not oily feel pedals or steering) with good low speed control and precison for inch to inch movement in traffic (not too smooth as in MAruthi 800/Alto)
2. Handling: Easy to drive with good handling and excellent manuevarability in traffic and easy to take tight turns and parking speed.

I can compromise on mileage, power,interiors,looks, ride quality, boot space etc.over my requirements.

Can anyone suggest the best match for my requirements ?

Re: Help me in choosing a right car

@Prasad

Welcome to TAI !!

After reading your requirements, I feel Honda Brio or Jazz will fit your requirements !!

If no problem with Sedan, then again its Honda City suits you most[:)]

Hi Prasad,

Welcome to TAI. As you mentioned you are a learning driver I would not suggest you buy a brand new car (No offense though) as you are in Bangalore & so am I, I can say that for a begginer bangalore traffic would be a nightmare. I would say look into some used car until you gain expertise. As Gurrala suggested Brio & Jazz they are exceptionally good cars no doubt. But definetly powerful for a begginer. I would say opt for a Hyundai I10 or Eon, You can try best brand Marutis which you would never regret buying one, best bet for you would be Swift (If you like the rear looks) and RITZ. My suggested cars list is if you are opting for brand new or can be used too. But honestly think twice or probably thrice & make a wise decision you might have a less painful heart to see a scratch or dent on a used car rather than a brand new car (Dnt take me wrong no matter how perfect we are we have amazing drivers in Blore to dent & scratch your car). Keep us posted on your buy.

Drive Safe
Santosh

Agree with Santosh. I have experienced Bangalore traffic and IMO even if you have a good budget, getting a new car wont be the best option. However, if you have decided on it, better to go for small hatchback to begin with and upgrade to a bigger car later. IMO get yourself a Brio (Available in AT/MT) and at later stages, you may try out its elder sibling or any other car.

As of now, i feel Brio is the car for you. Acceptable dimensions for a newbie driving in Bangalore:smile:.

350Z

Core Team
I am a learner driver planning to buy a new car which is easy and fun to drive for office commutation in Bangalore traffic.
Welcome to The Automotive India. It’s indeed a wise idea to start with a small car (not necessarily used) as a learner and gradually upgrade once you’re experienced enough to drive in different situations. I know someone who’s absolutely new to driving and bought a New Honda City A/T. Just for the sake of it due to the big budget. Problem? He does not know how to drive an automatic and therefore, is afraid to move the car even by an inch. Moreover, it is difficult to find part-time drivers who are well versed with automatic transmission cars. Poor Honda. It’s spends 99% of time in parking lot. Bottom line – Do not spend much (keep ownership costs in mind). Look out for the hatchbacks like Maruti Ritz, Honda Brio, Chevrolet Beat, Hyundai i10 or Ford Figo which are quite affordable to maintain.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I had the same dilemma when I bought my first car. I had the money to buy a new one, but let go the ego (sorry) and went with used M800. I was very clear that I will drive M800 for 6~12 months only, before I buy my new car from showroom. It teaches you lot of nuisances of driving in city.

In fact, I learnt my driving in a Amby, driving thru narrow roads (thanx to my tutor). That gave me tremendous confidence due sheer size of the car and the need for 'power' to drive a car such as Amby. The last two classes I opted for M800.

I think this made me a better driver.

Safe driving btw!

MY advice is to go for a brand new Nano use it till you are very confident about your driving skills, then you can sell this and buy a brand new car according to your budget and necessity.

Nano is a perfect learning car according to me.

Ad!tya

Suspended
Hello buddy.
I would suggest you the Honda City in that budget.
If you have problem with driving a sedan (midsize) in traffic, then hatchback is the most efficient option left. In hatchbacks, you can have a look at Hyundai i20.

Good Luck.

I too would suggest learning driving in a used car rather than a new one. In case there are scratches or dents it wont hurt you much (heart and pocket) if it is a used car. I too am from Bangalore and with the present traffic and parking situations, would suggest you to buy a hatchback if you are using it only in the city and rarely use the boot space. I use both swift and civic and trust me i prefer the swift anyday over the civic only because its a smaller car and much easier to drive and park. But its your personal decision at the end of the day so think about it and take a wise one after considering all the aspects. [;)]

My vote also goes for a used car. However if you still feel that you need a new car get a good hatchback like Honda Brio or A-star. Both are fun to drive IMHO.
For used car you will need a lot of patience to get a good car, but the experts in this forum will definitely help you chose a best used car.
It is not like a learning driver cannot buy a sedan, one of my friend has a swift dzire as his first time drive and he is not facing any problems with that.
Good luck with your search and do update us what did you get.

Welcome to TAI buddy. 10L is quite a budget for a learner's car. I'd suggest you to get a used Lancer/OHC for around 2L (suggesting sedans as you'd finally be getting a sedan else would have suggested Santro/WagonR to learn on). Keep it for 4-6 months, sell it off for say 1.7L. Now, get your self (in my order of preference) : City > Vento > Fiesta classic > Verna.

freakdude.

Welcome to TAI buddy. 10L is quite a budget for a learner's car. I'd suggest you to get a used Lancer/OHC for around 2L (suggesting sedans as you'd finally be getting a sedan else would have suggested Santro/WagonR to learn on). Keep it for 4-6 months, sell it off for say 1.7L. Now, get your self (in my order of preference) : City > Vento > Fiesta classic > Verna.

freakdude.
Really makes sense what freakdude has suggested. When we are at learning stage we usually decide based on the looks and feedbacks. Once you start driving and know your requirements you can chose what you want instead of depending on others feedback.

Ad!tya

Suspended
I am driving
Ritz(Petrol). My confidence level is not good yet in crowded roads. How
to improve it?
Since how long are you driving? Are you a learner?
I would suggest you to drive in open grounds to have a knowledge of clutch-accelerator use. Then, I think you would be able to gain perfection after practice in driving on busy roads.

Top Bottom