Best Petrol Hatchback Under 5.5 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi Members [:)],

I am planning to buy a petrol hatch for my weekend drive and it would be my first car.

Specifications:
Travel distance : 500Kms per month
Type : Manual Transmission, Petrol, hatchback
Budget: 4-5.5 Lakhs on road
Basic Needs in car: All Power Windows, Central Locking, apt mileage, good looking exterior/interior.
Alloy wheels/Music system/Auto AC are optional.

I have narrowed down few models, Please help me in choosing the best or also can add more models to the list.

Ford Figo ZXi
Maruti Suzuki Swift VXI
Maruti Suzuki Ritz VXI
Chevrolet Beat LT
Toyot Etios Liva G
Toyot Etios Liva Sports
Honda Brio S MT

Regards,
Pavendhan S

Strongly suggest you pick between Swift and Brio, depending on your taste and convenience. By convenience what I mean is that you may not have a Honda ASS close by, so Maruti has an advantage here.
Also you may not like Brio's tailgate design, so would depend on your taste. Otherwise both of them are evenly matched.

How about the Figo or the BEAT btw? As a new driver, you'd rather want a car that is slightly laid back in its performance, rather than it being an enthusiast's vehicle. But that's just my opinion, as I learnt to drive on a SANTRO which was 8 years old. However, you can never go wrong with a Maruti, on both the counts- a good ride and the After Sales Service though!
P.S.- Why not a second hand car, if you are learning to drive?

If the maintenance is the issue, I don't think that Honda is pretty costly.

If you want a safe bet, then please look at New Wagon R VX model for complete piece of mind. If CNG is available in Chennai, then go for the CNG model.

Maruti Suzuki Swift VXI
Maruti Suzuki Ritz VXI
Honda Brio S MT

All above 3 are Total VFM and peace of mind choice.

You will get a good discount on Brio.

If the car is only for Weekends, why a new car? I think it is a waste of money.If i were in the same position, I will surely go for a used car.there you could get even an Innova too..in the budget..Or you can go for good petrol/diesel sedans.

Thanks for the replies... As I am a new driver... Am so worried about maintenance expenses too [:D]
Today you are just a beginner. But how long? One month? Two month? maximum three months you will become an expert within that time and will start feeling lack of power from entry level vehicles.
Go at least a segment ahead to prolong that wanting for change. I experienced it and was hard for me to control myself from disposing the one I had that time[frustration].
My vote for BRIO which perfectly fit into your budget.

I have been following all new launches and test drove almost all hatches in past couple of months. I had the same budget as yours and i finally zeroed it on Honda Brio SMT, mainly because of engine, ride and handling, cabin space, futuristic design and the feeling called love [:D]

I would place Swift on 2nd, if you are a Maruti fan. However, there are huge discounts and accessories offered by Honda these days. I would recommend you to test drive both Swift and Brio back to back and decide on one.

I am not recommending any car in particular, but a word of advise for a first time car owner.

All said and done, the 'feel good factor' (also known as 'ego') is important. As much as specs, pay attention to the looks as well. When in doubt, go with the 'heart' than 'mind' [:D] You will not regret it.

I am not recommending any car in particular, but a word of advise for a first time car owner.

All said and done, the 'feel good factor' (also known as 'ego') is important. As much as specs, pay attention to the looks as well. When in doubt, go with the 'heart' than 'mind' [:D] You will not regret it.
Very well said buddy. This is truth but somehow we never realizes this fact.

Do the test drive of all the selected cars. Make a comparison chart mentioning all the available features and then select basis of facts and your liking. You won't get everything in one car!

I just brought a Polo. I was confused over Brio & Polo. Both of them having pros and cons and then finally I listened to my heart and to my family.

Top Bottom