Diesel Sedan or SUV in 9 - 12 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am contemplating to upgrade my existing Chevy UVA (5 yrs & 62K KM old) and bit confused about which one ?? from many options available. Here are the details of my requirement.

I may try to sell Chevy but was not offered good price in Jaipur as it is Delhi registered, so will check in Delhi. However, if not getting good price, might retain it and motivate my wife to learn driving. I am not too keen on selling this car as it is my first new car and really love it. (though lately not very happy with GM ASC in Jaipur and thus want to go to next one as I cannot spend my every weekend at ASC)

> Budget: 9 to 12.5 lakhs on road

> New or Used: New Sedan or SUV

> Location: Jaipur, India

> Top Five Priorities: Front & rear seat Comfort/space (for 5 minimum), good luggage space, Ride Quality, Good ASC, Safety, Design)

> Monthly Running: 1500 (80% highway, 20% city) - once in two months Jaipur to Delhi trips.

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Commute to office - maximum highway with speed over 100 KM, Occasional city trip / regular use)

> Seating Capacity: Minimum 5, occasional 7 (including children)

> Type of Segment: Sedan or SUV

Cars TD so far - Cruze (OMG...my dream car but out of my budget), Duster (didn't liked the looks and it does not feel like SUV and in same cost I can get much bigger & powerful indian suv), Rapid (again I was astonished by its power & smooth ride/handling--- but worried about Skoda ASC as heard many bad reviews on the same), Safari Dicor (Towering on road presence, lots of space inside, very comfortable seats, ride quality fine and known guy running ASC in jaipur -- however waiting for Strome TD in Jaipur, which might be (?) available by 10th Nov in Jaipur.

Please suggest other options if any based on my choices.....

Hey Sunit,

Welcome to TAI !!

Based on your requirements, I suggest you to look at Safari Storm or XUV 500. Please read my TD report of Storm(driven at Delhi) in Storm thread and Delhi is not that far for Jaipur if you want to have a TD at Gurgaon[:)]

Hello Sunit

You can check VW vento and verna as well. Both are good cars. If you are open for Ertiga then is is also a good choice.
About Rapid, I own it and just love it. I have done around 11000 kms with drive on all types of road. It handles just perfectly. About after sales, I can say I do not have any bad exp. in Pune.

Last edited by a moderator:
for a budget of 9 to 12.5 lacs, i would suggest you a sedan unless you need to travel regularly on bad roads.

TD the linea, vento , verna, and the sx4

all in diesel.

Thread Starter #5
Hey Sunit,

Welcome to TAI !!

Based on your requirements, I suggest you to look at Safari Storm or XUV 500. Please read my TD report of Storm(driven at Delhi) in Storm thread and Delhi is not that far for Jaipur if you want to have a TD at Gurgaon[:)]

Thanks, well I am waiting for its launch in Jaipur. no luck right as far as trip to Gurgaon is concerned. So wait for it.

XUV is bit out of budget.

for a budget of 9 to 12.5 lacs, i would suggest you a sedan unless you need to travel regularly on bad roads.

TD the linea, vento , verna, and the sx4

all in diesel.

Yes, I considered that, I have to go through strech of 8 KM one way daily where roads are not good always, so waiting to check Strome. Verna felt little bumpy on highways (many of my colleagues have verna), however I need to TD SX4 & Linea. (again with Linea don't know ASC in Jaipur)

Hello Sunit
You can check VW vento and verna as well. Both are good cars. If u r open for Ertiga then is is also a good choice.
About Rapid, I own it and just love it. I have done around 11000 kms with drive on all types of road. It handles just perfectly. About after sales, I can say I do not have any bad exp. in Pune.
I really liked Rapid and it exactly fits my budget, the ambition model with 3 DIN system, camera & GPS for around 10.75. But I am really worried after reading & hearing stories of Skoda ASC. so researching on saga's (Skoda ASC) reputation in Jaipur.

Last edited by a moderator:
If tata is good service wise in your area consider the aria too.
Only when accounting the discounts the pure variant .

I may sound biased but Ertiga seems to be perfect choice- comfort like Sedan, proven diesel engine, good FE and backing of Maruti ASS.

With the given budget i would suggest you for Verna and Vento Highline which will easily fit in your budget. Verna is a good contendor but ride feels bit bumpy.

Now the other option you can look is SX4 has good amount of space, boot space, is comfortable and the best GC in the class. But the only thing which goes against SX4 is that the interiors look dated.

Coming back to SUV's - Storme is the best option in that price range. and since you know the guy running the ASC then it's great and you should definitely go ahead with that.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
well i'll advise against verna since you have 80% highway drives. don't have any other car in mind just wanted to give you a heads up as all other members said ride is bumpy. i own one so i'm telling you.

Thread Starter #12
Thank you everyone !!

Verna is out of my choice right now, due to experience of bumby ride by my colleagues.
Skoda & Vento are good car but ASC is not good in Jaipur.
Regarding SX4 & Ertiga, I will do the TD whenever I have time
Regarding Strome, I have liked all reviews and today I received call from Tata that it is launching in Jaipur on 8th November and he can make the vehicle available on 9th...so looking forward to it and will share my experience after TD. Based on your inputs, will try Aria too.

Thanks again.

I have just gone through the whole buying process a month back. We have an Etios GdSp and a Sunny diesel in the house. My cousin is happier with the Etios over the Sunny, both are his.

I started looking for a small car for the city - Figo@5.85 L onroad. Ritz, Beat, Vista. Now my dad insisted on a sedan, he said spend about a lakh more and get a sedan for the image (???). Then onto the Verito, Manza, Etios, Classic. Did see the Ertiga but discounted spending soo much for a city car.

Now comes the best part - my wife, who had to drive the required car was insisting on a small car. On our insistence and constant badgering, she started testing the sedans too. We now started considering the Ertiga as the difference here between a GdSp Etios and VDI Ertiga is about 85000. Though you do get the airbags in Etios. The ZDI in Ertiga has a long waiting list, but ABS in all diesel versions.

One drive of the Ertiga by my wife, and out went all the other cars (and 3.4 lakh extra of my money :-(). More practical than any sedan, identical outside dimensions as the Etios, the boot space is about 420 litres with last seat down - when measured upto the rear window, but a whopping 27-28 cubic feet (750-800 litres) when measured till the top -- you can only see from orvm. With both the rear seats down it is humongous.

I was never in the market for a MUV, but........ (actually I already have an Innova in my Mumbai home, so could also compare the practicality more easily). In fact my brother in Mumbai insisted on the XUV, but my requirements of a city car and driven by my wife, made me take a more practical car.

Last seat is not uncomfortable for 2 regular Indian adults. Brilliant and practical packaging. Ample power. Service, spares, maintenance definitely not an issue with the Mauti badge. GO FOR IT. It enticed me to spend MUCH beyond my target.

Last edited:
@Sunit:
Considering all of your needs, the sedan that scores maximum is Hyundai Verna.

Rest if you need SUV, then you can select anyone from Storme or XUV, go and check both and select one as per your needs, both are completely different vehicles.

Top Bottom