Considering Hyundai i20 But Concerned By Long Clutch Pedal Play

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I have been planning to buy a I20 Sports for a while. I checked out the car in nearby outlet. Took my wife alongwith me to ensure if she is fine with the I20 comfort. She instanly noticed the long clutch travel and it seemed like some botheration. It was a Asta Petrol Variant. Adjusted seat height and moved it forward to get better handling over clutch pedal. Still I noticed, she had to stretch her leg to press the clutch deeper.
Existing owners please advise. Most of our drive will be within city and frequent change of gears is obvious. So can this be a problem, does the driver needs to press the clutch fully to get the gear shifted on a slower city traffic.
Also thinking on saving some money by buying Sportz instead of Asta. So, needed help on another query: Is the Driver seat in Sportz variant placed at a higher position then the Asta variant ?
Personally, I like i20 because of comfort and features [:D] but do not want to repent after I buy this Premium priced hatchback.

Re: Is Long Clutch Travel in I20 A Problem for Short Drivers

Hello, Welcome to TAI. If you use this for city drives, why don't you consider the Automatic Variant of the i-20? It would probably be a solution.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

yeah you have to depress the clutch fully to change gears. if you don't then clutch is likely to go kapoot in 1-2 years depending how you drive it.

but mostly in heavy traffic conditions , people depress the clutch half , i mean in slow moving traffic people tend to depress the clutch half and then accelerate.

but yeah i agree with vishwas get the automatic [thumbsup]

and about the seat , in asta you can control the height of the seats so it won't be a problem but in sports you cannot adjust the height of the seats.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Hello, Welcome to TAI. If you use this for city drives, why don't you consider the Automatic Variant of the i-20? It would probably be a solution.
I 20's AT version is expensive and I prefer Manual Gear Driven one.

As you said the clutch travel is an issue for you, I would suggest you try other cars as well. There are so many of them. What is the use of a feature rich car, which you will not able to drive properly? You have a lot of choices my friend. Just explore. I am sure, you will find one which will be far better than your present choice.

Thread Starter #6

As you said the clutch travel is an issue for you, I would suggest you try other cars as well. There are so many of them. What is the use of a feature rich car, which you will not able to drive properly? You have a lot of choices my friend. Just explore. I am sure, you will find one which will be far better than your present choice.
I had striked out Ritz, Etios and Figo since I dont like the looks. Brio has small boot space so striked it out. Jazz is not so bad but its seats hurt the lower back after a while, may be its not suitable to my preference, so striked it out too. Dont want try out Polo or Punto due to maintenance costs and their A.S.S ?

Now I am left with Swift, which looks good and is sporty on the exterior but has problems with Braking. We all know its braking issues in LXI and VXI models. ZXI has the features likes Brake Assist and ABS but it costs more than i20 Sports and has lesser features and has impractical boot, no 60-40 folding either. Overall Swift feels little cramped in the inside because of thick pillars and dark interior.

Well I am waiting for some more help and advice on this forum regarding the original question. Might be there is some fix for the long Clutch.. Else will finally decide in favor of Swift VXI (will add Brake Assist).

If you are going to use for city driving, and at sane speeds, I dont see Swift braking problem an issue here. And whether Swift do have any braking issues, existing owners can tell you better.
My personal opinion. Dont go by what others feel about a particular car. Go for the one in which you are comfortable. Whatever people would speak, at the end of the day, you'll be travelling in your car. In comfort, or compromising it, all depends on what you go for.
Please go have a look at all the options available in your range. Have a closer look yourself. Maybe you like the one which you have already omitted.

Hey AKS, if you like i20 then I suggest you should go for it. The issue you mentioned, is it so severe that you cannot get used to it? Every new thing needs getting used to. I also did some struggle in initial days with polo's long clutch, but nothing bothersome after a couple of weeks. I suggest you to take a test drive once more or drive i20 from your acquaintances and drive it for good distance, if still you feel any issue then drop idea of i20.

@Allhyundaicars:
Never thought that using half clutch may damage it sooner. Is it only hyundai or happens with all cars' clutches?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@Allhyundaicars:
Never thought that using half clutch may damage it sooner. Is it only hyundai or happens with all cars' clutches?
you know it won't have an adverse affect since most of the time people drive on open roads. i'm talking about bumper to bumper traffic when you have to accelerate , stop and accelerate and stop.

and if someone has a habit of pressing the clutch half every time then it will definitely go kapoot very soon.

and it's with every car. correct me if i'm wrong.

you know it won't have an adverse affect since most of the time people drive on open roads. i'm talking about bumper to bumper traffic when you have to accelerate , stop and accelerate and stop.and if someone has a habit of pressing the clutch half every time then it will definitely go kapoot very soon.and it's with every car. correct me if i'm wrong.
Yeah, we have another thread dedicated to clutch use, where it is advised not to use it partially. Considering real sceanrios, one cannot completely avoid using partial clutch.
Even then, clutch should not wear out so soon, if half clutch is used occasionally. And yes, it should be true for all cars.

One more doubt- how come in spite of high clutch, i20 is regarded as an excellent city car. I think for city drives, one needs short clutch and also shorter gear ratios.

Yeah, we have another thread dedicated to clutch use, where it is advised not to use it partially. Considering real sceanrios, one cannot completely avoid using partial clutch.
Even then, clutch should not wear out so soon, if half clutch is used occasionally. And yes, it should be true for all cars.

One more doubt- how come in spite of high clutch, i20 is regarded as an excellent city car. I think for city drives, one needs short clutch and also shorter gear ratios.
I20 is a good car to drive in cities. Though i din't feel or notice the clutch issue mentioned, i did notice the low power while driving. This might be because of the power to weight ratio of the car. its too bulky for the given engine capacity and power provided.

If somebody is looking for a petrol car, I20 definitely is not the car to go for. Agreed it has got loads of features and style, but its very underpowered and priced very high. INMO, a good hatchback petrol car can be one of Swift, Polo (refreshed version), Liva, Ritz, Brio and the newly launched SAIL

Top Bottom