ICE For Brand New Volkswagen Polo

Thread Starter #1
How much did you spend on ICE? And what precaution did you take to make sure warranty is intact
ICE Breakup, everything is with bill and warranty -
HU Kenwood 546 BTU = 10,000/-
Front Infinity 6.5" components = 10,000/-
Rear Kicker 6" components = 6,500/-

It took almost whole day to install the ICE for first time and I was there with my 'sweetheart' all the time to make sure everything is going on in right way, eg no wire-cuts going-on, HU is being installed with socket, panels are being opened and closed in right way. I didn't want any electrical tempering so didn't install any AMP and this basic ICE is producing great sound with nice bass (enough for my needs), thanks to Polo's build quality that doors work as woofer enclosure, no leakage, distortion and rattlings while playing music.

After that I had to visit two times for crossover settings and speaker replacements (I got the front Infinities later, earlier I Installed RoackFord-Fosgates but didn't like those so replaced).

Re: Veedub Polo Trendline vs Comfortline (Booked Trendline)

It took almost whole day to install the ICE for first time and I was there with my 'sweetheart' all the time to make sure everything is going on in right way, eg no wire-cuts going-on, HU is being installed with socket, panels are being opened and closed in right way. I didn't want any electrical tempering so didn't install any AMP and this basic ICE is producing great sound with nice bass (enough for my needs), thanks to Polo's build quality that doors work as woofer enclosure, no leakage, distortion and rattlings while playing music.

After that I had to visit two times for crossover settings and speaker replacements (I got the front Infinities later, earlier I Installed RoackFord-Fosgates but didn't like those so replaced).
Thats good to hear! Yeah its better to stay and keep an eye if we are getting it from outside.

Hi
I'm planning to buy speakers for my polo too. Since i'm getting Trendline i need to go for the aftermarket ICE. i haven't done it before, so please answer the following
Should i buy 6" or 6.5" speakers and how many?
Will there be any provision on the doors to fix the speakers? if yes how it look like (pics or references will be greatly appreciated)
I'm not going for any ampplifier, Do i need to get sub woofers?

And how do i make sure the guy is not doing any wire cut when fixing it, as i said i have no knowledge of it..
Should i buy any jacks/wires to avoid the possible wire cut?

Finally which speakers are good Pioneer/infinity (10k range), Why did you buy two separate brand speakers(Infinity n kicker) for front and back, will there be any difference. Can't i buy all 4 same speakers...

Thanks
yesvee

Thread Starter #4

Hi
Should i buy 6" or 6.5" speakers and how many?
Will there be any provision on the doors to fix the speakers? if yes how it look like (pics or references will be greatly appreciated)
6.5" will be better, it will produce better bass than same quality 6".

You don't need to install all four speakers, as Polo TL comes with stock wiring at front door, there will be less headache to install front speakers. Rear doors have provision to put speakers but no stock wiring so to install wiring all the panels including door pads, B-Pillar plastic panels and bottom panels at door sill will have to be opened and this whole task takes almost full day if done carefully.

To see how the doors will look, you can search on google for Polo door pics :)

If you are installing 'decent' quality components at front than there is no need to install rear speakers. If still you feel the need, you can add those later.

Sub can't be installed without AMP so no need to talk about that.[;)]

I'm not going for any ampplifier, Do i need to get sub woofers?
Amp not only increases sound volume but adds quality to music/sound and we can tweak/control many settings via AMP. But if you don't listen loud music all the time and don't want to show off, than there is no need for AMP in a Polo. Just make sure that your HU has enough power, eg few Kenwood, Pioneer and few other branded HUs come with Mosfet ic, so they have better power handling with least distortion at high volumes and Polo's cabin is silent than other usual hatch so we don't really need AMP for a decent level of loudness.

And how do i make sure the guy is not doing any wire cut when fixing it, as i said i have no knowledge of it..
Should i buy any jacks/wires to avoid the possible wire cut?
Try to search out for some reputed installer who has done many Skoda and VW cars previously, opening and closing of panels is different in these cars than other Japs or Koreans. Tell them that you don't need any power cut and see the socket they are going to install between HU and the Car wiring. Actually FM antina socket is hard to find, but if you try, you can manage to find it. Its better if stay with your car while all this work is being done, and at any stage if you feel the guy doing job is learning on your car, stop him immediately, thats all.

Finally which speakers are good Pioneer/infinity (10k range), Why did you buy two separate brand speakers(Infinity n kicker) for front and back, will there be any difference. Can't i buy all 4 same speakers...
I will choose Infinity over others in this range becasue they are famous and easily available and service/warranty replacement is easy. But there are many other brands, especially Germans which can beat Infinity in sound quality at same price range but those are hard to find everywhere. Mine 6.5" Infinity costed me 10K, (don't remember exact model weather its 6030 or 6035)

Usually components are not recommended for rear, coaxials will do the job and will cost far less. Another issue while installing components at rear is that we have to find out a location to put tweeters.

So for starting better to avoid rear speakers, first install good components at front with intelligent placement of tweeters at front and listen this setup for a while with different genre of music which you like and play with settings on HU. After observing this setup you will be in situation where you yourself can decide what to do next

Last edited:

6.5" will be better, it will produce better bass than same quality 6".
So for starting better to avoid rear speakers, first install good components at front with intelligent placement of tweeters at front and listen this setup for a while with different genre of music which you like and play with settings on HU. After observing this setup you will be in situation where you yourself can decide what to do next
@amippjpr thanks a heap for the detailed reply, i know more about it now :)

Actually FM antina socket is hard to find, but if you try, you can manage to find it.
i forgot to ask one question...do i need to buy any antenna for FM radio or it comes along the HU or Factory fitted??? if i need to buy one, please suggest... also i'm getting the HU from US as a friend of mine is coming soon, can i get the FM antenna socket from there as well, what should i tell him to buy?

Thanks
yesvee

Thread Starter #6

do i need to buy any antenna for FM radio or it comes along the HU or Factory fitted???

....also i'm getting the HU from US as a friend of mine is coming soon, can i get the FM antenna socket from there as well, what should i tell him to buy?
Antena is factory fitted, which you may notice on roof of every Polo. But I have deattached it have put it in glove box becasue of safety. Becasue I have lost my car's front logo once and it costs around 1800/- at workshop. So for precaution I have deattached the antenna.

You just need to find a coupler which connects HU with car's wiring. Nowadays its not that hard to find couplers on some famous shops in big cities.

Top Bottom