Suggest a Good Amp for Comps Only

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I have i10 magna. I need a decent music system for my car as i don't listen too loud but i need good and deep baas inside the car on normal volumes. Also i don't want any speakers in the parcel tray and boot.
After a lots of researching in this forum i found that comps are best as they give great sound quality even fitted in the doors. I have some questions and hope that you guys will help me get a good configuration for my car. ( I have low budget so i will go step by step installation)

1. If i install comps on all 4 doors will it be ok or comps can be fitted only on front doors and co-ax on rear doors.
2. Is there any good and cheap amp to power only comps as i don't want any sub. ( not even in future)
3. If i only install comps in front doors for now and later sometime in rear doors will it be enough good sound with 2 comps for the time being.
4. Can a two channel amp power all the 4 comps in the 4 doors.
I m totally depending on you guys advice so please suggest some good VFM system for my car.
Thanks.

1. if you have rear passengers who also love music then go for comps or else coax at rear
2. jbl 4 ch amp around 6-8k
3. will do but get a 4ch amp
4. no you need a 4ch amp
do not take sony, pioneer is just average jbl should be good vfm
just a guess the comps are around 5-6k a coaxial is 2-4k
amp 6-8k
wiring depends on quality

@Sunny : If most of the time you would have only front seats occupied then you can go or compos in front and co-axes in rear else go for 2 pair of compos. 2/4 channel amp depends on weather you go for 1/2 pair of components. if 1 pair then 2 channel, if 2 pairs then 4 channel. For amp options you can look at Kenwood, JBL, Hertz etc. all the VFM amps.

One imp. thing, select the amp carefully according to ohm and stability of components.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your reply guys.

@nickandre : The car is driven only by me alone or sometimes with my wife, so its a 100% front seat driving. But i need a surround sound effect so i want the speakers also in rear doors. If i install coax in the rear doors won't it lower the overall SQ or it will mix up well with front comps.

Though i have a low budget now but i would prefer to wait than installing cheap stuff. So, if comps at rear are best then i can install them after sometime. If coax at rear would sound same (as i drive front seat only) then i can install them now.

@dodge_v1per: between kenwood and JBL what would you prefer.

@freakdude: I don't know anything about ohm and stability. I'm thinking of the following config. Please suggest some good amp for this. I need lowest price amp without compromising with SQ.(brand and warranty doesn't matter just the SQ should be good)

HU- Pioneer(preffered) or Sony (seen some Dapic HU with good features but not aware of the quality)
Front Comps- JBL GT6 S266C
Rear - either JBL GT5 S265 or JBL GT6 S266C (Not able to decide yet)
Amp- Suggest Please

If you can suggest any other better config then please tell me.

1. If i install comps on all 4 doors will it be ok or comps can be fitted only on front doors and co-ax on rear doors- There is no problem in getting comps installed on all four doors.

2. Is there any good and cheap amp to power only comps as i don't want any sub. ( not even in future)- There is nothing called as a cheap amp , if your budget is really tight then go for JBL , real VFM.

3. If i only install comps in front doors for now and later sometime in rear doors will it be enough good sound with 2 comps for the time being-If only 2 persons are travelling in the car maximum then go with 2 comps in the front for time being , later get comps for the rear too when budget permits.

4. Can a two channel amp power all the 4 comps in the 4 doors- No , a 2 channel amp can power only a pair of components.

If your budget is really tight go for JBL component speakers in the front and JBL 2 channel amp for now. Later get a pair of comps for the rear too and another 2 channel amp to power them. Stay away from Sony , many members have complaints against them. Use good quality wiring for best results.

Firstly, stay away from SONY atleast in arena of car audio.
No, coming to your config. jbl s266c are a decent pair of components and could be had in around 4800-5200 with bill. The only thing is that they are a bit on the brighter side. Now if you pair these to jbl 644 amp which is again a bit bright amp so over all you might feel higher treble. So go for kenny amps. They are more warmer then Jbl in sound signature.
kenwood 846 could be had in 5500/-. For rear go for co-ax and jbl s266 is a good one. Power all speakers with the amp and keep gains a bit low for the co-axes then for those of components.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for so quick reply. So now Sony is out. Is pioneer ok. I want to spend 4-5 K on HU and mostly will play through usb. Which is better between pioneer and kenwood.

@freakdude: If s266c are too bright then can you suggest some other comps. I want some tight bass and tweets not so bright which irritate. Is kenwood 846 a 4 channel or 2 channel amp. If its a 4 channel then i can finalise it, the price looks good.

I was thinking one more thing. If i install all 4 comps and HU now and install amp and wiring later, will it work.

Yes installing four components without any amp will work but the SQ is not going to be very good. If you have a tight budget i suggest going in for a decent HU from Pioneer or JBL for now. Install a pair of comps at front and power them with a 2 channel amp.

Thread Starter #10
@cooldhaya: Will the SQ of comps without amp will be worse than coax.

If yes, Then this will be the final install, Please check and comment:

HU- Pioneer
Front comps- JBL GT6 S266C
Rear - Will listen to coax, if not satisfied then leave it and install comps later.
Amp- Kenwood If coax worked good in rear then 2CH amp, if not then 4 CH amp.

Is it OK.

Thread Starter #11
Also one small confusion, where are the tweeters of comps placed on front and rear doors? Will they cut the door pad or stick somewhere out?

Can you post some pics with comps fitted nicely in front and rear doors of any car to give me a good idea.

HU - pioneer2390ub OR JBL X555 - amazing HU for it's price of 4500/- with 3 preouts and miles ahead of entry level pioneers in terms of sound o/p.

Front - JBL S266C or try sourcing JBL 609C a bit pricey over 266 but have tweeter level control in crossovers.

Amp - Kenwood 846 4-ch amp.

Wiring - according to budget (scosche is good and less costly).

Regarding your tweeter positioning, avoid cutting any panels if it's a new car. Fix them on dash but make sure they do not fire towards windshield.

freakdude.

@cooldhaya: Will the SQ of comps without amp will be worse than coax.

If yes, Then this will be the final install, Please check and comment:

HU- Pioneer
Front comps- JBL GT6 S266C
Rear - Will listen to coax, if not satisfied then leave it and install comps later.
Amp- Kenwood If coax worked good in rear then 2CH amp, if not then 4 CH amp.

Is it OK.

IMO if you have the budget to go for comps in the future then don't go for co-axials at the rear now. IF you have the budget now get a 4 channel amp which can be used in the future or else even a 2-channel amp will be good enough. You can always buy another 2 channel amp later too to power comps at the rear. As freakdude go for JBL HU , they are also really good. The tweeters can also be fixed on top of the door pads near the dashboard , only a small minute hole will be drilled.

Thread Starter #14
Ok then i will skip rear speakers now and get a 4 ch amp.

JBL HU's are not easy to find here in ludhiana. All shops have pioneer, sony, kenwood, dapic and some cheap chinese ones. If i found JBL X555 then i'll definatly go for it else with pioneer.

The front tweeters can be fixed on door pads but where will the rear tweeters fixed.

In our Safari we had comps on all four doors but we had tweeters only in the front , don't know about the rear. Wait for others to reply about this.

Top Bottom