Help With Volkswagen Polo ICE Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
> Your Car: I want to upgrade the ice of my polo comfortline

> Budget Range: have a tight budget of inr 15k

> Existing Audio Setup: It has stock hu rcd 220 and stock speakers with a v12 4 channel amp, convex company sub woofer and Some wiring that is 8ga powered directly from battery, don't know what brand.

> Looking For (Full Setup, Head Unit etc.) I am hoping to achieve the following in this budget :
1. Get a new amp
2. Upgrade front components
3. Sound proofing.
Amp upgrade being the priority as its giving problems. Sound proofing could be moved to stage two if the budget doesn't allow to get all three done.
I am thinking that I could power the rear speakers from the hu and the front speakers and the sub with a 4 channel amp.

> Preferred Brands (If any): no preference as such. Just should be a reliable brand.

> Preferred Music Genre: I listen to edm songs and occasionally bollywood. Would like a balanced SQ and SPL setup which fits in my budget. Though I do like bass.

> Misc. Details / Specific Questions: I am a complete noob and have no knowledge about Ice so please help accordingly with complete details.
The amp I guess isn't good. it's about 6 years old from my old car santro and so is the sub woofer. I had to get the amp repaired once and still if I use it in bridged mode it heats a lot and the sound dips low. Will upload snaps of the sub and amp if required.

> help required - Please give me recommendations for the components , amp and sound proofing which would fit in my budget. Looking for VFM options. Won't mind using 2nd hand products if in good condition.
Also I am open to any other advice you gurus might give except that I wouldn't change the hu probably.
Also do recommend any tried and tested shop I can go to for my ice setup preferably in Ghaziabad if you know any or else Delhi. But it should not be expensive options as I have a tight budget.

Thread Starter #2
Well its quite disappointing not to get any replies. I have been doing my own research and have narrowed down to these option based on availability :
Speakers:
1.Focal access 165a1sg @ 6800
2.Focal auditor r165s2 @4800
3.Polk audio Db 6501 @ 6900
4.Infinity Pr6500 @ 5500
5.Boston reference 265c @4300

Amplifier :
1. Blaupunkt gta 470 dsp @6800
2. Focal auditor r-4280 @ 7600
3. Boston acoustics ref 204a @6600
4. Pioneer gm-d8604 @12000

Any feedback of these and which would be a better choice for a good SQ setup would be highly appreciated.
If you do have any other suggestions please let me know.
Thank you.

If you can afford Pioneer gm-d8604 amp then you can bridge 2ohm impedance to get max from Focal access 165a1sg and r165s2.

Infinity Pr6500 is good but i think it has a 3ohm impedance.

Well its quite disappointing not to get any replies. I have been doing my own research and have narrowed down to these option based on availability :
Speakers:
1.Focal access 165a1sg @ 6800
2.Focal auditor r165s2 @4800
3.Polk audio Db 6501 @ 6900
4.Infinity Pr6500 @ 5500
5.Boston reference 265c @4300

Amplifier :
1. Blaupunkt gta 470 dsp @6800
2. Focal auditor r-4280 @ 7600
3. Boston acoustics ref 204a @6600
4. Pioneer gm-d8604 @12000

Any feedback of these and which would be a better choice for a good SQ setup would be highly appreciated.
If you do have any other suggestions please let me know.
Thank you.
Since we are in the same boat, thought i could chip in with my research! What I've heard is the focals are a bit too bright sounding similar to hertz components. Infinity is great for vocals, a little low on bass without a sub. Polk db6501 is also bright sounding but oldest of the lot. I prefer d8604 and infinity or polk as you already have a subwoofer. But I've no idea how the other combinations might sound when paired together. Try to listen in person if you can before buying just to be on the safer side.

Thread Starter #5
Since we are in the same boat, thought i could chip in with my research! What I've heard is the focals are a bit too bright sounding similar to hertz components. Infinity is great for vocals, a little low on bass without a sub. Polk db6501 is also bright sounding but oldest of the lot. I prefer d8604 and infinity or polk as you already have a subwoofer. But I've no idea how the other combinations might sound when paired together. Try to listen in person if you can before buying just to be on the safer side.
As you said we're in the same boat and that pioneer would be too heavy on my wallet, earlier there was a really good deal on paytm but not so much now. I'm more leaned towards blaupunkt amp as it has dsp and thinking to use its sub out along with my old amp and sub. But not able to decide for the l components at all. Unable to get a single audition in my city. I suppose I would have try for auditions in Delhi.
Do let me know what you decide and also the prices. Could help each other out and get good deals

Thread Starter #6
If you can afford Pioneer gm-d8604 amp then you can bridge 2ohm impedance to get max from Focal access 165a1sg and r165s2.

Infinity Pr6500 is good but i think it has a 3ohm impedance.
Won't that harm the focal speakers?
Also I am more leaned towards blaupunkt amp. Pioneer is the last priority.
And yes you are right about infinity.
Do you have any first hand experience with any of these?
Thank you

Sorry for my late reply [:)]
Won't that harm the focal speakers?
As long as RMS value for respective ohms match [there you be a small upper tolerance in band], no problem. I was telling about peak setting.

Do you have any first hand experience with any of these?
Q: Do you have it in your car ?
A: No

Q: Have you used it to build in ICE upgrade ?
A: Yes, while I was in Singapore me and a friend installed it in his car.

Q: Do you think about using it in your car now ?
A: As of now I'm just planning to get a powerful amp and use it with stock speakers in my verna. Only if I am unhappy with stock then i'll upgrade to front component and rear coax speakers.

Off-Topic -
what kind of emd do you listen to ?
eg : Bloody beetroots - Dikkamunication/we are from vince , Dan balan - Chica bomb, The cataracs - Top of the world, Daft punk etc.

There are lot of fake one in market, just make sure you get a original one. Better to get a audition from a dealer/owner before you decide.

Last edited:
As you said we're in the same boat and that pioneer would be too heavy on my wallet, earlier there was a really good deal on paytm but not so much now. I'm more leaned towards blaupunkt amp as it has dsp and thinking to use its sub out along with my old amp and sub. But not able to decide for the l components at all. Unable to get a single audition in my city. I suppose I would have try for auditions in Delhi.
Do let me know what you decide and also the prices. Could help each other out and get good deals
I was about to buy blaupkunkt gt470 model too ! Yeah Deciding compos is a tough one here. Not many models available in my locality, completely different(old) models online, don't know how it might sound and many more! Delhi has many reputed shops to my knowledge you can search for the same online! I'm pretty sure you will get to audition. Let us be connected here and sort it out.

Thread Starter #9
Sorry for my late reply [:)]

Q: Have you used it to build in ICE upgrade ?
A: Yes, while I was in Singapore me and a friend installed it in his car.

Off-Topic -
what kind of emd do you listen to ?
eg : Bloody beetroots - Dikkamunication/we are from vince , Dan balan - Chica bomb, The cataracs - Top of the world, Daft punk etc.

There are lot of fake one in market, just make sure you get a original one. Better to get a audition from a dealer/owner before you decide.
OK.

Which speakers are you talking about?

I listen to edm like Martin Garrix, Like Mike, Nucleya etc etc

Hoping to get an audition soon.

Thread Starter #10
I was about to buy blaupkunkt gt470 model too ! Yeah Deciding compos is a tough one here. Not many models available in my locality, completely different(old) models online, don't know how it might sound and many more! Delhi has many reputed shops to my knowledge you can search for the same online! I'm pretty sure you will get to audition. Let us be connected here and sort it out.
Will try for an audition. I think I can get better deals online instead of going to an installer and then install it as diy with the help of my routine mechanic. The down side is I won't get an audition.

Will try for an audition. I think I can get better deals online instead of going to an installer and then install it as diy with the help of my routine mechanic. The down side is I won't get an audition.
Nah! That may sound very easy but trust me there are lot of installs that failed to perform 'the way we like". Read many posts on the other forum complaining their idea of buying without hearing them. Specs are to be considered for a certain extent. Take it from me i was total noob in ICE. Please go through the user reviews atleast before zeroing in. We can get better deals online but remember we have to live with it!

Amp: Blaupunkt gta 470 :
RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels) : 70 x 4
Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) : 140 x 4
Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) : 100 x 4
Bridged Power (Watts x Channels) : 200 x 2
Minimum Impedance Bridged : 4
Minimum Impedance Unbridged : 2
Best Frequency Response : 10-30k Hz
THD at Rated RMS Power : 0.05%
Signal to Noise Ratio : 92 dB
Input Voltage : 14.4v

Speaker-1 : Focal Access 165A1 SG
Frequency Response : 60 - 20k Hz
Minimum RMS Wattage : 6
Maximum RMS Wattage : 60
Peak Power Handling (Watts) : 120
Impedance (Ohms) : 4
Cons : Lack of strip-foam for the woofers, polarity marking on tweeter.

Speaker-2 : Focal Performance R-165S2
cons : tweeters too harsh

Speaker-3 : Polk Audio db6501
Frequency Response : 35 - 23k Hz
Minimum RMS Wattage : 10
Maximum RMS Wattage : 100
Peak Power Handling (Watts) : 300
cons : Harsh at higher volume, Tweeter Is Mild, Poor runtime and fail just after the warranty expires.

with Blaupunkt gta 470 amp, Focal Access 165A1 SG seems to be a safer good choice. Polk Audio db6501 has good setup but you may get distortion with Blaupunkt gta 470 at peak.

Like @Sarath01 said, Do not buy from online without an audition from local dealer. Sometimes even when specs line up correctly, it may not be satisfying for you.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Amp: Blaupunkt gta 470 :
RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels) : 70 x 4
Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels) : 140 x 4
Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels) : 100 x 4
Bridged Power (Watts x Channels) : 200 x 2
Minimum Impedance Bridged : 4
Minimum Impedance Unbridged : 2
Best Frequency Response : 10-30k Hz
THD at Rated RMS Power : 0.05%
Signal to Noise Ratio : 92 dB
Input Voltage : 14.4v

Speaker-1 : Focal Access 165A1 SG
Cons : Lack of strip-foam for the woofers, polarity marking on tweeter.

Speaker-2 : Focal Performance R-165S2
cons : tweeters too harsh

Speaker-3 : Polk Audio db6501
Frequency Response : 35 - 23k Hz
Minimum RMS Wattage : 10
Maximum RMS Wattage : 100
Peak Power Handling (Watts) : 300
cons : Harsh at higher volume, Tweeter Is Mild, Poor runtime and fail just after the warranty expires.

with Blaupunkt gta 470 amp, Focal Access 165A1 SG seems to be a safer good choice. Polk Audio db6501 has good setup but you may get distortion with Blaupunkt gta 470 at peak.

Like @Sarath01 said, Do not buy from online without an audition from local dealer. Sometimes even when specs line up correctly, it may not be satisfying for you.
Thanks for the details. Will get an audition.

@sarath01
Let's see how it goes.

Top Bottom