The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/car-entertainment/27948-aftermarket-ice-upgrade-hyundai-verna-4s.html)

Dithi 20th December 2016 12:23 AM

Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Hi Everyone,

I need some suggestions on an after market upgrade that i recently did for my Verna 4s.
I've upgraded the default audio system with a Pioneer AVIC-F980BT which works great except for one small thing that i'm not pretty happy with.
I couldn't find an option to connect the F980BT to the default USB and Aux port of the Verna. I was told that there is no option to do that and was forced to have two cables (AUX & USB) from the F980BT hanging in my dashboard compartment.
I've been searching online for compatible adapters or wiring kits for quite a while but never came across one that would suit my car (Or maybe I'm not sure).
Is there anything that can be done to have the USB & AUX connections restored to the default panel? Any accessories that could help me accomplish this?

Please do suggest [confused]

Thanks & Regards,
Dithesh

krishna6239 26th December 2016 12:53 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Off topic :
Please post some pictures of AVN system. It may help in solving. [:)]

krishna6239 28th February 2017 12:04 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
I don't think you can use OEM usb port with After market HU without cutting/splicing wire. This may void your warranty.


I guess you can use after market aux and usb ports with Metra 70-1761 wiring harness and fix it to OEM post space.

Stephanie 7th March 2017 12:01 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithi (Post 522751)
Hi Everyone,

I need some suggestions on an after market upgrade that i recently did for my Verna 4s.
I've upgraded the default audio system with a Pioneer AVIC-F980BT which works great except for one small thing that i'm not pretty happy with.
I couldn't find an option to connect the F980BT to the default USB and Aux port of the Verna. I was told that there is no option to do that and was forced to have two cables (AUX & USB) from the F980BT hanging in my dashboard compartment.
I've been searching online for compatible adapters or wiring kits for quite a while but never came across one that would suit my car (Or maybe I'm not sure).
Is there anything that can be done to have the USB & AUX connections restored to the default panel? Any accessories that could help me accomplish this?

Please do suggest [confused]

Thanks & Regards,
Dithesh

------------------------------------
@Dithi. Sometime have a this type problem due to loose cable connection, please check the properly. If still this problem, you can connect automotive aftermarket services agent nearer your location.

Dithi 26th April 2017 12:33 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 529090)
I don't think you can use OEM usb port with After market HU without cutting/splicing wire. This may void your warranty.


I guess you can use after market aux and usb ports with Metra 70-1761 wiring harness and fix it to OEM post space.

Hi Krishna,

Thank you so much for the response and apologies for the delay in replying back. I've not been online much for the past couple of months.

I'll definitely post some pics of my current AVN setup and you could probably suggest me some alternatives. The USB and AUX cables dangling out of the dash seriously looks awkward... [thinking]

krishna6239 27th April 2017 09:06 AM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
I have a very cheap idea of resolving your issue, but it's slightly idiotic in nature. However there are many alternatives for it and some, costs around 4K INR.

Dithi 27th April 2017 10:23 AM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 536850)
I have a very cheap idea of resolving your issue, but it's slightly idiotic in nature. However there are many alternatives for it and some, costs around 4K INR.

Hi Krishna,

That's totally fine... Noting is idiotic as long at it fixes a problem..[;)]... Do share the alternatives also... I'm also attaching pics of the current AVN setup in my car..

If you notice, i've removed the default AUX/USB module from the car and instead have the USB & AUX cables coming out through the empty space below the AC "Mode" switch.

If we could find some kinda cable with one end that can connect to the port behind the module and the other end having a USB and AUX jack, it would be great.

I'm eager to hear about the options that you've for me.[:D]

Forgive me if the pics aren't clear enough... The portal does not allow me to upload images above 1 MB.

krishna6239 27th April 2017 10:28 AM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Your F980BT should have a 2 USB port and 1 AUX port at the back. Pioneer should have provided 2 USB male to female connectors with KIT.

Safe solution :
Things you'll be needing -

1.Metra AX-HYKIA-USB USB Retention Harness (Costs 10$-15$)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo.../2017/04/8.jpg

2. 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Male to 2RCA Male Cable (Cost : ~200 INR)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo.../2017/04/9.jpg

3. Wire loom

You have to remove your HU and OEM usb port from dashboard. The back of OEM usb port should look like this.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2017/04/10.jpg
You should insert metra harness to this port and connect usb & rca to Head unit utilizing 3.5mm jack connector. Check once whether everything is working or not. If everything is fine then place the cable in the wire loom so that they won't sack any of other wire or trim. Re-insert HU and OEM usb port to their respective position and enjoy riding your car.


MY IDIOTIC METHOD

Things you'll be needing -

1. USB male to usb female conector
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2017/04/11.jpg

2. Flush Mount Aux cable (male - female type)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2017/04/12.jpg

3. Wire loom

After removing OEM USB port, there'll be a latch on side. Push that latch to remove entire sub assemble and you'll end up with USB facia and subassembly cover.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2017/04/13.jpg

Take the usb male - female connector and you have to cut as shown.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2017/04/14.jpg
You can get a 0.25 inch open end USB female in market also.
Insert the female end to usb facia such that facia's lip should match with USB female. If the fit satisfies you, you have to adhesive to fix it firmly. Test the adhesion a couple of times.

You have to enlarge hole of aux port so that it could accommodate flush mount aux. The hole dia should be such that flush mount should come before facia surface from front.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...2017/04/15.jpg
Then glue it and check for adhesion.

Fix the cables to wire loom and check it's working. If you satisfied, place the cables in a wire loom and re-insert all the trims back to respective position.


Hope it helps, Keep me posted.[:D]

krishna6239 27th April 2017 11:07 AM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

3.5 mm Stereo Audio Male to 2RCA Male Cable
Sorry, You'll be needing a 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Male to 2RCA Female Cable to connect it to Metra harness

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 536865)
Fix the cables to wire loom and check it's working. If you satisfied, place the cables in a wire loom and re-insert all the trims back to respective position.

You have to install with sub-assembly cover when placing OEM USB port back to it's original position.

krishna6239 27th April 2017 09:20 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Found this video while I was searching for other alternatives. How to retain your factory USB and AUX inputs in a Hyundai or Kia

Watch is video completely. This is exactly what I told you as "cheap idiotic solution".

Dithi 28th April 2017 08:17 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 536865)
Your F980BT should have a 2 USB port and 1 AUX port at the back. Pioneer should have provided 2 USB male to female connectors with KIT.

Safe solution :
Things you'll be needing -

1.Metra AX-HYKIA-USB USB Retention Harness (Costs 10$-15$)
image

2. 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Male to 2RCA Male Cable (Cost : ~200 INR)
image

3. Wire loom

You have to remove your HU and OEM usb port from dashboard. The back of OEM usb port should look like this.
image
You should insert metra harness to this port and connect usb & rca to Head unit utilizing 3.5mm jack connector. Check once whether everything is working or not. If everything is fine then place the cable in the wire loom so that they won't sack any of other wire or trim. Re-insert HU and OEM usb port to their respective position and enjoy riding your car.


MY IDIOTIC METHOD

Things you'll be needing -

1. USB male to usb female conector
image

2. Flush Mount Aux cable (male - female type)
image

3. Wire loom

After removing OEM USB port, there'll be a latch on side. Push that latch to remove entire sub assemble and you'll end up with USB facia and subassembly cover.
image

Take the usb male - female connector and you have to cut as shown.
image
You can get a 0.25 inch open end USB female in market also.
Insert the female end to usb facia such that facia's lip should match with USB female. If the fit satisfies you, you have to adhesive to fix it firmly. Test the adhesion a couple of times.

You have to enlarge hole of aux port so that it could accommodate flush mount aux. The hole dia should be such that flush mount should come before facia surface from front.
image
Then glue it and check for adhesion.

Fix the cables to wire loom and check it's working. If you satisfied, place the cables in a wire loom and re-insert all the trims back to respective position.


Hope it helps, Keep me posted.[:D]

Hey Krishna,

This is really awesome!!.. I've been trying to get some information about this for almost an year with no success. That is exactly the type of connector i'm talking about. You're great buddy!

The "Idiotic Method" (which is actually brilliant) is really exciting... But the though of drilling a hole on the USB module gets me a bit afraid. I'm sure i'll screw up.

I did find the "Metra AX-HYKIA-USB USB Retention Harness" online but noting that is available within India. All shipments are from international locations. However I did manage to place an order for one on ebay for $14.74 but I got to wait for a few weeks before its arrival.

Now, since you've got me this far. I need one more suggestion from you. If you look at the first pic that I posted, you can see that the fascia plate surrounding my AVN is silver, but the original one that I had before the AVN upgrade was a wooden trim. Are there any fascia's with wooden trim available which will suit the aftermarket upgrade? When i inquired with the local dealers, i was given a strict "Not Possible" answer.

krishna6239 28th April 2017 09:37 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithi (Post 537011)
However I did manage to place an order for one on ebay for $14.74 but I got to wait for a few weeks before its arrival.

Just a precaution, but make sure you thoroughly inspect the harness before inserting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithi (Post 537011)
Are there any fascia's with wooden trim available which will suit the aftermarket upgrade?

I have seen wooden trims but they comes attached to AVN systems [like in aliexpress]. It is not impossible but it take more time and luck to find one. Inspect OEM's wooden fascia and check whether it can be removed or not. If it can be removed, then your problem is solved.
Another suggestion is to find a good hydrographics user/maker and imprint that wooden finish to your fascia edges.
Last suggestion, if you want uniformity it's better to wrap silver and wooden trims in crabon fiber or matte black wraps.
Meanwhile I'll try to look. If I could find one, I'll tell you ASAP.

Off-Topic Questions :

1. Does your Steering wheel controls work with pioneer F980BT ? Did you have to use any extra fitting in order for it to work ?

2.How are the viewing angles of your AVN ?

3. Navigation Plans of ANV ?

4. Sound Quality if using OEM speakers ?

5. Do you work/own in a Manufacturing/FMCG/Warehouse ? [Not need to reply, just curiosity]

PS : I'm also planning to buy an AVN system for my verna 4s

Dithi 29th April 2017 02:31 AM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
7 Attachment(s)
Sure... i'll inspect the harness before installation.. don't wanna take any chances...

Regarding the wooden trims, previously I had an AVN from "Mega Audio" which was installed by the dealer as an upgrade before my car got delivered. The look was pretty decent and it came with a wooden trim. Navigation powered by "Map My India". And it was a simple plug and play setup. It connected directly to the factory wiring and did not require any modifications. All features including steering wheel controls worked perfectly. I had to go for a replacement because I had a major issue with the mic clarity while speaking over the Bluetooth connection. (Dealer said that mine was the first complaint and offered a replacement but i wasn't satisfied). And I also felt that the touch sensitivity was a bit hard. I'm posting the pic of the old AVN below.

As you suggested, I had already inspected the OEM wooden fascia and it is removable but the ones that come for the aftermarket upgrades are molded and cannot be removed. I also did search for wooden trim auto-graphics but non were available in stock online.

Now to answer your questions -

1. Does your Steering wheel controls work with pioneer F980BT ? Did you have to use any extra fitting in order for it to work ?

The F980BT does support steering wheel controls on certain cars but not in the Verna. I have a "connects2" steering wheel adapter installed and it works great. (Cost me around 1800 INR with a local dealer and 200 INR for installation)

2.How are the viewing angles of your AVN ?

The viewing angles are great. Its got an anti glare coating. But in case of direct sunlight falling on the screen, it may appear a bit dull as the AVN tilts upward a bit on the Verna.

3. Navigation Plans of ANV ?

I'm not sure who powers the maps but the update happens through Pioneer Naviextras. It has a lifetime plan and only needs to be updated once in a while. Navigation is very accurate. (saved a lot of my time during a few long trips)

4. Sound Quality if using OEM speakers ?

I'm pretty much happy with the OEM speakers and combined with the Pioneer's equalizer, the output is more than satisfactory. You could consider getting a Sub installed if you're a heavy bass lover (I'm planning to [;)]).

5. Do you work/own in a Manufacturing/FMCG/Warehouse ? [Not need to reply, just curiosity]

Nope.. I work with the IT industry but real crazy about automobiles, gadgets etc etc..

PS : I'm also planning to buy an AVN system for my verna 4s - Glad to hear that you also own a Verna (My all time favorite in the mid sedan segment in India)

One thing that i felt could have been done on the F980BT is the integration with the existing overhead MIC which is currently not possible (that's what the dealer says) and we need an external MIC installed (picture posted)

I'm also posting some pics of the F980BT's GUI .

krishna6239 29th April 2017 04:15 AM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithi (Post 537038)
previously I had an AVN from "Mega Audio" which was installed by the dealer as an upgrade before my car got delivered.

They quoted me 40K for mega audio AVN. I did not find it price worthy. For 40K it's better to buy a pioneer which has ample amount of features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithi (Post 537038)
I also did search for wooden trim auto-graphics but non were available in stock online.

Hydro-graphics. There are few companies who do it in Chennai. Cost effective would be to get hold of hyundai supplier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithi (Post 537038)
One thing that i felt could have been done on the F980BT is the integration with the existing overhead MIC which is currently not possible (that's what the dealer says) and we need an external MIC installed (picture posted)

Hmmmm... May be OEM's MIC is not effective [too much distortion] in terms of operation with pioneer HU.


PS: Delete that navigation pic if you took that pic in your home/office. We can find your location from it.

Dithi 30th April 2017 04:42 PM

Re: Aftermarket ICE Upgrade For Hyundai Verna 4S
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 537039)
They quoted me 40K for mega audio AVN. I did not find it price worthy. For 40K it's better to buy a pioneer which has ample amount of features.

40K is too much.. Definitely a Pioneer would be much better.. Have you got anything in mind for the upgrade?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 537039)
Hydro-graphics. There are few companies who do it in Chennai. Cost effective would be to get hold of hyundai supplier.

I need to search out for one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 537039)
Hmmmm... May be OEM's MIC is not effective [too much distortion] in terms of operation with pioneer HU.

The OEM MIC is quite effective but i don't think Pioneer has an option to connect it to their HU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishna6239 (Post 537039)
PS: Delete that navigation pic if you took that pic in your home/office. We can find your location from it.

That's alright, its just a random location.. (But at the same time, i couldn't find an option to edit my post).


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.