Does Radio Reception Strength Depend on Antenna or Head Unit?

Thread Starter #1
I have grand i10 in which a pioneer head-unit is there from last 8 months. Right from installation it does not have that good a radio reception which i mostly ignored as i use a USB mostly. Lot of times it gives a kharrr kinda noise even driving on city roads which should have no reception quality. I have not had it happen in my new creta or most cars. The signal near the pioneer shop is somehow great as going there i can never reproduce the problem in a 3 km radius and they dont come for a longer drive elsewhere where i can show the issue. [frustration] Is the radio stalk on my roof defective internally as from outside it looks all okay? should i go for those aftermarket sharkfin/ short stalk antenna if it can give a better signal ?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: What does a car's radio reception strength depend on ? Antenna or Headunit ?

almost all though on 104 it happens the least.
Ok Puneet, try setting the frequency of channel from 91.1 to 91.5, 98.3 to 98.35 as it can be possible that in your location the FM signal on a specific frequency might be having disturbance.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
it must be the antenna. i've had 4 antennas changed because of the monekys [frustration] 5th one is yet to be bought. i had to shell out 1100 rs for the base.

now a days i get the same noise in my verna as well. you can try to change the antenna from the creta to your grand i10. it should fit.

Attachments

kkn13

Suspended
it must be the antenna. i've had 4 antennas changed because of the monekys [frustration] 5th one is yet to be bought. i had to shell out 1100 rs for the base.

now a days i get the same noise in my verna as well. you can try to change the antenna from the creta to your grand i10. it should fit.
wow :D :P
Have you considered retrofitting sharkfin antenna?

Thread Starter #10
I have grand i10 in which a pioneer head-unit is there from last 8 months. Right from installation it does not have that good a radio reception which i mostly ignored as i use a USB mostly. Lot of times it gives a kharrr kinda noise even driving on city roads which should have no reception quality. I have not had it happen in my new Creta or most cars. The signal near the pioneer shop is somehow great as going there i can never reproduce the problem in a 3 km radius and they dont come for a longer drive elsewhere where i can show the issue. [frustration] Is the radio stalk on my roof defective internally as from outside it looks all okay? should i go for those aftermarket sharkfin/ short stalk antenna if it can give a better signal ?
SO i finally found the problem [clap]. Whenever i charge my phone the radio signal somehow goes for a toss as can be clearly seen in the video. This was always happening as my phone is nearly always plugged in. Why is it happening and what can i do to fix it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0akq8CT70o&feature=youtu.be

On the title of thread:
Reception quality depends on both the Antenna and the receiver of the Head unit. If one is bad, it can affect the overall performance.

@ allhyundaicars:
Eek. Bad monkeys. THAT is a trouble I'm seeing first time. Original Indica had this covered the best. It had an internal Antenna just behind the internal RVM. THAT antenna can sort out such trouble coming from any Monkey. Almost ALL Music Systems available in India SHOULD work with this Antenna. I couldn't separately download and share the image, so I'm giving e-store ref here. https://www.snapdeal.com/product/speedwav-fm-and-am-signal/662069517365#bcrumbSearch:speedwav%20fm%20and%20am%20booster%20for%20hyundai Disclaimer: I'm not promoting this product.

@ puneet848: Glad you found the source of the problem. I think, the Mobile phone's radio signal (to tower) is interfering with the receiver of your HU. It should be same weather you are charging the phone or the phone is nearby without being connected to the charger. If so, it is a problem due to missing EMI Filter in your HU. Your HU is designed to filter out these interferences, by using one or more EMI Filters. It may be in the input DC supply or the antenna cable (before it enters HU) or USB port. Even the 12V socket might have one (Car specific). Ask the A$$ guys to show you these spare parts (if available), and see if you can locate the root cause.

Just for info, the black cylindrical object in the photo below is an EMI filter (or suppressor) seen commonly in Video Cable of a PC.
EMI - VGA.jpg

Additionally, wrong grounding also is known to pick up EMI interference. Hope, your problem gets sorted out ASAP. Good luck.

Thread Starter #12
@ puneet848: Glad you found the source of the problem. I think, the Mobile phone's radio signal (to tower) is interfering with the receiver of your HU. It should be same weather you are charging the phone or the phone is nearby without being connected to the charger. If so, it is a problem due to missing EMI Filter in your HU. Your HU is designed to filter out these interferences, by using one or more EMI Filters. It may be in the input DC supply or the antenna cable (before it enters HU) or USB port. Even the 12V socket might have one (Car specific). Ask the A$$ guys to show you these spare parts (if available), and see if you can locate the root cause.

Just for info, the black cylindrical object in the photo below is an EMI filter (or suppressor) seen commonly in Video Cable of a PC.
View attachment 214689

Additionally, wrong grounding also is known to pick up EMI interference. Hope, your problem gets sorted out ASAP. Good luck.
getting the phone near the HU does not cause the issue, only on connecting the charger. will try with a diff. phone as well and take car to pioneer Service centre as warranty getting over very soon.

Top Bottom