My Alto 800 Sound Setup

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
So I spent the better part of the last 1 year reviewing Theautomotiveindia,Team-BHP and various other sites, in an attempt to understand my requirements and the available options.
Here is the detail and price of the setup.

HEAD UNIT:

Needed A head unit which could play from USB.This was my one and only requirement.

Sony DSX-A100U USB Only ( 3200Rs)

Bought This from the person who did the install.
Media Receiver with USB | DSX-A100U | | Sony IN

Sony DSX-A100U Black Stereo For Car: Buy Sony DSX-A100U Black Stereo For Car Online at Low Price in India on Snapdeal

FRONT SPEAKERS :

Polk Audio - DB651 - 6.5 Inch Co-axial Speakers (3290Rs)

Bought from Snapdeal.
db651 - Polk Audio

Polk Audio - DB651 - 6.5 Inch Co-axial Speakers (Pair Of Speakers): Buy Polk Audio - DB651 - 6.5 Inch Co-axial Speakers (Pair Of Speakers) Online at Low Price in India on Snapdeal

AMPLIFIER:
MRX 4 Channel Amplifier (5000Rs)

MRX 4 Channel High Power Amplifier: Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

SUBWOOFER:

I am most finicky when it comes to sub, any abrasive blur or boom from the sub puts me off, hence I wanted a sub that would just kick in fast with a tight punch where needed and then lie down quietly. Also wanted a 8 inch sub because 12 inch is too big for the boot of Alto 800 And also wanted the amp to be placed in the boot only.
Polk Audio - DB840 SVC (4200Rs)

Bought from Snapdeal.

db840 - Polk Audio
Polk Audio - DB840 SVC - 8 Inch Single Voice Coil Subwoofer: Buy Polk Audio - DB840 SVC - 8 Inch Single Voice Coil Subwoofer Online at Low Price in India on Snapdeal

REAR SPEAKERS :
Combined Budget for front and rear Speakers was 8000Rs.Wanted to go for polk audio but it was Exceeding the budget.Will Definitely Go for them for the next install.

JBL - GTO S959 - 6 inch x 9 inch 3 Way Coaxial Speakers (440 W)(4700Rs)
JBL - GTO S959 - 6 inch x 9 inch 3 Way Coaxial Speakers (440 W) [Pair Of Speakers]: Buy JBL - GTO S959 - 6 inch x 9 inch 3 Way Coaxial Speakers (440 W) [Pair Of Speakers] Online at Low Price in India on Snapdeal
Bought from Snapdeal.

WIRING :
JBL Wiring Kit (2200Rs)

OTHER:
It Includes Sub And Speaker Boxes,Installation Charges,MDF Rings Etc Cost 3500Rs

Total Cost:26090Rs

Overall, some serious kit, and the quality of sound just amazes me now.

Things I finally understand:
  • What a "laid-back audiophile signature" means, and why that's such a great thing
  • What a sound stage is
  • The importance of not having massively thumping bass, if you wish to listen to quality music
  • What constitutes a high-quality install (I really did not know until I saw this install)
  • The rear 6x9s, front door speakers fill the cabin with good surround sound and good SQ.

Thread Starter #6
That enclosure looks huge for a 8" sub [surprise] Is that box as per the subs specs?
it's not according to the sub specs

i opted for a bigger one because with this enclosure the sub box doesnt move around in the boot.it remains fixed and does not cause any damage to the amp.

Also alto is used in city so boot space is never used.

it's not according to the sub specs

i opted for a bigger one because with this enclosure the sub box doesnt move around in the boot.it remains fixed and does not cause any damage to the amp.

Also alto is used in city so boot space is never used.
I think over sized enclosures affect subwoofer performance. Experts throw some light.[confused]

Thread Starter #10
The recommended sealed enclosure for a Polk DB840 is .35Cu Ft Enclosure,which is around a 10" Cube box if using .75" MDF. Check user manual for enclosure recommendation. For ported i guess max 1.25Cu ft is needed. Thats why i said this look way oversized. [:)]
Will calculate the area of my sub box

Good setup, and planning. Kudos!

But yes, the box is huge for that tiny sub. A bigger box will create more boom than required, and you will be missing the hard-hitting bass from the sub. This is complete opposite of what you had mentioned in your requirements.

Now you can either change the box to one with less height (it will still not move around) or change to a bigger subwoofer. If you are not planning to spend more now, consider sealing the port for a better effect.

Thread Starter #12
Good setup, and planning. Kudos!

But yes, the box is huge for that tiny sub. A bigger box will create more boom than required, and you will be missing the hard-hitting bass from the sub. This is complete opposite of what you had mentioned in your requirements.

Now you can either change the box to one with less height (it will still not move around) or change to a bigger subwoofer. If you are not planning to spend more now, consider sealing the port for a better effect.
Will alter the sub box height

Thank you for your input

Brilliant update, in detailed pics. Although the sub enclosure is over done, I liked it [:D]
Why not upload a short video of the output. Also, did the installer know how to tune the ICE setup for a burrr brrr...free experience.

Thread Starter #14
Brilliant update, in detailed pics. Although the sub enclosure is over done, I liked it [:D]
Why not upload a short video of the output. Also, did the installer know how to tune the ICE setup for a burrr brrr...free experience.
Regarding sub enclosure and video
Alteration and video will happen but in some time only as i am currently preparing for state employment exams and the alteration will take a day's time atleast because i have to go the installer to get the sub wiring removed then give the sub box to the other guy who made it for alteration.

I think the installer has tuned the system

Despite such large sub box the bass effect is very good and not at all like the bass effect given by pioneer and kenwood.my friends have these subs and they do not offer any quality in terms of bass effect.

Any advise from each and every member is welcome.

Top Bottom