HU Upgrade for Skoda Rapid Elegance Plus

Thread Starter #1
My car :Skoda Rapid

Requirements :
Double din screen (DVD player +reverse cam view , +Maps /satnav,), not necessarily touchscreen,. It should be compatible with the present steering mounted audio controls & Bluetooth steering mounted telephone control.

Desirable but not compulsory features :
If it includes TPMS, it would be desirable but not compulsory

I have read about Blaupunkt android Cape Town 940 HU & Blaupunkt philadephia HU. But they are out of budget as of now.

Budget : Rs 40 k

Present ICE set up :
HU - OE double din

Speakers : OE,
I am planning to replace front component speakers in future, if the SQ is found to be unsatisfactory.

Subwoofer -
I have already installed a subwoofer with following specifications

Closed subwoofer enclosure with integrated Class-D amplifier;

Amplifier-
Type: Class-D (Digital)
RMS power: 500 watts
Max.Power: 1.000 watts
Frequency range: 25 – 200 Hz
Signal-/Noise ratio: >91 dB
Adjustable gain: 0.2 – 5V
Variable lowpass filter: 50–200 Hz
BassBoost: 0 – 12 dB
Phase: 0 - 180°
Inputs: 2x Cinch/RCA, 2x Highlevel
Automatic power On/Off function
Special connector for 12V/Ground/ Remote signal (6-Head screws)
Power-on indicator: 2-color LED (blue / red)

Subwoofer-
Diameter: 300 mm
Membrane material/color: SPC (Spune Paper Cone) / black
Rated power handling: 500 watts
Peak power handling: 1.000 watts
Impedance: 0.2 ohms
Frequency response: 25 – 200Hz
Sound pressure level 2.0 V/m: >91 dB
Material/Color speaker cover: ABS / silver
Material/Color grille: Metall / black
Enclosure

System: closed housing
Housing volume: 32 Liter
Material: MDF
Coating/Color Front/Back/Base: special foil with ribbed surface / antrazith
Coating/Color side panels: foil / silver
Dimensions W x H x D: 397 x 480 x 250 mm
Dimensions W x H x D: 15.6" x 18.9" x 9.84"
Delivery contents

Subwoofer enclosure
Special connector for 12V/Ground/Remote signal (6-head screws)
Cable remote control (GAIN adjust)
Adapter for High-Level input
Fuse 20A

So the HU must be be compatible with this subwoofer.

preffered brands : reputed brands.

hey tornado

my friend has recently upgraded ICE in his 2015 skoda rapid top end variant

HU : Pioneer 5890BT With steering control interface and face panel to fit the HU -25k
Front Speakers : Polk DXI6500 component speakers-10k
Rear Speakers : Polk DXI650 Co-Axial Speakers- 3.5k
Damping : Wurth damping on all four doors (in and out )- 13k

and miscellaneous stuff such as connectors , speaker wires, radio connectors , MFD rings , rear view camera and installation - 4k

so total was around 55k odd

the sound from these speakers are very clear and has got good balance between treble and bass
and increased the sound quality by tenfold compared to OEM speakers

the HU is good and has little lag while browsing the music files in the CD or USB but has no lag while changing from one song to another
and it has got many features and tweaks to tune the sound according to your liking
and u need to purchase steering control interface to make the controls on the steering to work with the HU
and the bluetooth connectivity is seam-less and works brilliant .

if you're looking for speakers which are laid back , then these aren't for you.
but has a perfect balance between bass and treble

hope this helped you

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you do not have any problem with OEM speakers at this moment, and have an active subwoofer (and a decent one at that), you can have a look at below 3 options :

Blaupunkt Philadelphia or Pioneer F60BT or Kenwood 9360. F60BT and Philadelphia have good reviews and the latter is more suited to VAG cars. Kenwood and Blaupunkt might be difficult to source but Pioneer ones are easily available. F60BT will be around 45k+ but Blaupunkt would be in your budget. Alpine also has an HU matching your requirements but will have to be ordered from international sites as it is difficult to source in India. I will search about it and let you know.

I found Philadelphia for 40k on Snapdeal (https://m.snapdeal.com/product/blaupunkt-philadelphia-835-europe-car/1137861744. You will need a steering interface/PAC with these HUs to activate your steering controls, which will cost you around 3k or more. You might have to source the PAC from abroad as the prices are inflated in India and not many installers keep good ones (Connects2 and the like). Also check the thread by ZKing for HU.

What I would do is get an external navigation from MMI or Garmin. It will solve 50% of your problem (of navigation) while not messing with the OEM look at a fraction of the price. Because VAG cars are not that easy to handle, and the learn-by-seeing installers can mess up with the wiring and connections. This might throw up MID errors in the future or even cause malfunctioning of the HU. If you still want the reverse cam functionality so badly, you can have a basic Pioneer touchscreen HU from the AVH series which will support all the things but will not give the stock-like look of the expensive options. I am not sure why you do not necessarily want a touchscreen but want DVD playback. If it is for the passengers, you can consider headrest screens for the rear passengers.

Sorry for the late reply. Do update if you have got the HU already.

Last edited:

Top Bottom