Replacing Speaker Foam

Thread Starter #1
Guyz,

My car's 9 years old by now. And rear JBL 6x9 inch speakers' lining (surrounding foam) is loosened and it makes burr-burr noises even at low volumes. I need to replace them as rest of cone, magnet and others are in great shape.

Does anyone of you had prior experience in getting this replaced with new ones from anywhere in the country?

Also, as I am from Bengaluru,

1. will ask the shops where i can get this done and how much does this cost?
  2. Does it sound as good as the original if the surrounding foam is replaced?
  3. Is it good to go for new set of speakers which are costing approximately 4600/- for a pair or get this done?

Many thanks for any of your suggestions/pointers or guidance.

@mods: feel free to place this thread at any meaningful place, as I thought here is the best.

Guyz,

My car's 9 years old by now. And rear JBL 6x9 inch speakers' lining (surrounding foam) is loosened and it makes burr-burr noises even at low volumes. I need to replace them as rest of cone, magnet and others are in great shape.

Does anyone of you had prior experience in getting this replaced with new ones from anywhere in the country?

Also, as I am from Bengaluru,

1. will ask the shops where i can get this done and how much does this cost?
  2. Does it sound as good as the original if the surrounding foam is replaced?
  3. Is it good to go for new set of speakers which are costing approximately 4600/- for a pair or get this done?

Many thanks for any of your suggestions/pointers or guidance.

@mods: feel free to place this thread at any meaningful place, as I thought here is the best.
Which foam are you talking about? If it is the lining below the metal corners (on which nuts are drilled) which is between the speaker and parcel tray, then it can be sorted out (not exactly replaced) by some jugaad. The speaker will sound as good as original in this case.

If you are talking about the foam (surround) which joins the cone with the speaker assembly (edges), which is a rubber like material, then replacing it would need the help of an experienced technician. After replacement, you can't be too sure about the proper functioning of the speakers. So, in this case, getting a new set is more advisable.

Thread Starter #3
Icewise, i was talking about the rubber lining which adheres cone to the frame.

I am in hunt for a good replacement technician before throqing it off and going for an all new set of JBLs.

Icewise, i was talking about the rubber lining which adheres cone to the frame.

I am in hunt for a good replacement technician before throqing it off and going for an all new set of JBLs.
Then the repair work won't be easy. Make sure the person who performs the repair is experienced as there might not be a chance to re-repair incase the first person gives up. Better would be to get new speakers and give these to the shop from where you buy new ones, in the worst case they will give you 500 bucks for them.

bhvm

Honoured Member
there are refoaming kits available online which provides the rubber surround and particular glue. go slow and careful and it should be a nice weekend DIY.

however as IW suggested, dynamics of speaker will change As new surrounds Will have different springiness etc. See if you like the results or simply buy new.

Thread Starter #6
there are refoaming kits available online which provides the rubber surround and particular glue. go slow and careful and it should be a nice weekend DIY.
Going for a new ones would be my last only after trying a DIY with the kit. If you know any kit as such from any of the online shop please give me those links.

Going for a new ones would be my last only after trying a DIY with the kit. If you know any kit as such from any of the online shop please give me those links.
I couldn't find kits for 6x9 speakers but round ones are available in plenty. On ebay.in, it is priced upwards of 3k for Imported kits (round). I think you should look at options from Aliexpress or ebay.com as you will get the same for slighlty less price.

Another idea would be to go to an ICE shop near your place and check the quality of the foam surround physically, and I guess local made kits would be under 1-1.5k. I would personally not take the risk and would have sold the speakers to some other person. Their condition is not that bad (according to you), so someone might pick these up for 500-1000 bucks and you will get a spanking new set of speakers for 2-3k more. Remember that you can't be too sure about the sound the speaker will make after the retrofit. You may also end up with a crap sounding output, after spending say 1k on new foam and will have to get new ones for 4-5k (add to that, you will not get anything for your old speakers).

Rest it is up to you.

https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=321929628715

bhvm

Honoured Member
eBay

I guess Ali express will. give better rates if you're willing to wait.. my suggestion is, repair these speakers and put them on secondary duty eg. on a older car or something. and buy new ones for yourself.

Thread Starter #10
Basing on Icewise and bhvm, i searched and found this one from AliExpress. Did not knew that Aliexpress will ship to india as well.

2 pcs 6X9 inch Car Bass speaker / woofer / bass loudspeaker FOAM SURROUND 6*9-in Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This one just costs 705/- INR (with 65 per dollar exchange rate)!!! Though not sure of the quality of these surround foams.

Also I want to visit the local repair shops and find out if somebody has some older surround foams (whose paper cone was torn but surrounds are good [;)] ). Need to test my luck with these kind of stuff. Else will go for these ones from AliExpress.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I am with you on the DIY and Experimentation Stuff. Thats the way one learns and gains in-depth understanding about working of Devices. I guess 705 is not much amount for a try.

Local repair shops should also help and you will be able to inspect the quality before buying. Good luck!
There are generally 3 types available-
Paper- Simply avoid. These are optimized for Voice and PA systems
Rubber- A cheaper, Longer lasting alternative. Performance is mediocre and should work good as fills
Foam- Excellent damping and bass response. The Foam tends to Crumble when exposed to Sunlight (If your Speakers are mounted on Plank in the Hatch). Sound will be worth it.

I am with you on the DIY and Experimentation Stuff. Thats the way one learns and gains in-depth understanding about working of Devices. I guess 705 is not much amount for a try.

Local repair shops should also help and you will be able to inspect the quality before buying. Good luck!
There are generally 3 types available-
Paper- Simply avoid. These are optimized for Voice and PA systems
Rubber- A cheaper, Longer lasting alternative. Performance is mediocre and should work good as fills
Foam- Excellent damping and bass response. The Foam tends to Crumble when exposed to Sunlight (If your Speakers are mounted on Plank in the Hatch). Sound will be worth it.
+1 to what bhvm said. You can also look for "butyl rubber" ones which will be good for bass, as primarily they are used on mid-bass or subwoofers.

You can also look out for old/non-working speakers sets, and take their foam surround for DIY. Nice idea! Speaker repair wala will have some non-working speakers.

Basing on Icewise and bhvm, i searched and found this one from AliExpress. Did not knew that Aliexpress will ship to india as well.
Yes most of Aliexpress sellers will ship items to India. The seller for the listing you have selected use Hong Kong Post which will reach you faster. Approx 15-20 days.

Other postal services like China post, Singapore Post and etc will take 30 to 90 days. So better to find sellers who can ship via HK post, even if it costs few dollars more.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #14
Yes most of Aliexpress sellers will ship items to India. The seller for the listing you have selected use Hong Kong Post which will reach you faster. Approx 15-20 days.

Other postal services like China post, Singapore Post and etc will take 30 to 90 days. So better to find sellers who can ship via HK post, even if it costs few dollars more.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Thanks CRACING. Do you have some past experience in ordering and getting some products from AliExpress? If so, is COD facility present? [roll]

Thanks CRACING. Do you have some past experience in ordering and getting some products from AliExpress? If so, is COD facility present? [roll]
Yeah I have bought plenty of stuffs from Ebay.com and Aliexpress but not expensive ones i.e above 40$ per order.

Aliexpress gives buyer protection ranging from 30-45 days and it also be extended by requesting to the seller. Incase of lost in transit, you will have to contact seller first and in most case he will refund you but asks you to wait for 45days atleast. Otherwise you can also file claim inwhich Aliexpress will investigate the issue.

As of payment, you need a credit card and I don't think COD is available.

Top Bottom