Some Basic Questions for POLO Trendline ICE

Thread Starter #1
As you all are aware that VW Polo Trendline being the Basic model is depived of an ice system.
during my hunt for an Ice system I came to know that any ICE setup to work flawlessly in a VW vehicle it should have an inbuilt canbus gateway/emulator or a canbus gateway/emulator to be attached.

This is required for the
1. Ignition ON - Ice ON, Ignition OFF Ice Off. (Otherwise you have to manually switch it ON & OFF).
2. Bluetooth pairing
3. Backlight of ICE system to work.

I was thinking of buying installing Blaupunkt San Diego from Snapdeal. But when I came across this CANBUS issue I have hold it.

My question is does anyone have insatlled this or any of similar kind of system without CANBUS gateway and how is the functioning of the HU.

Does the installer like AXA Assist(who are Snapdeal partenr installer) provide the canbus if not does it easily available in India?

And on a final note...does anyone out there try to install something like this Aliexpress.com : Buy Free Shipping Car Radio DVD GPS Bluetooth For VW Volkswagen Passat B5 B6 Jetta Polo Jetta Touran Golf Tiguan CC GPS Radio from Reliable b5 images suppliers on AF Electronics Technology | Alibaba Group or is this thing available in India too?

Please help in resolving my queries, I have already wasted too much time on finding the answers to these questions but in vain.

As you all are aware that VW Polo Trendline being the Basic model is depived of an ice system.
during my hunt for an Ice system I came to know that any ICE setup to work flawlessly in a VW vehicle it should have an inbuilt canbus gateway/emulator or a canbus gateway/emulator to be attached.

This is required for the
1. Ignition ON - Ice ON, Ignition OFF Ice Off. (Otherwise you have to manually switch it ON & OFF).
2. Bluetooth pairing
3. Backlight of ICE system to work.

I was thinking of buying installing Blaupunkt San Diego from Snapdeal. But when I came across this CANBUS issue I have hold it.

My question is does anyone have insatlled this or any of similar kind of system without CANBUS gateway and how is the functioning of the HU.

Does the installer like AXA Assist(who are Snapdeal partenr installer) provide the canbus if not does it easily available in India?

And on a final note...does anyone out there try to install something like this Aliexpress.com : Buy Free Shipping Car Radio DVD GPS Bluetooth For VW Volkswagen Passat B5 B6 Jetta Polo Jetta Touran Golf Tiguan CC GPS Radio from Reliable b5 images suppliers on AF Electronics Technology | Alibaba Group or is this thing available in India too?

Please help in resolving my queries, I have already wasted too much time on finding the answers to these questions but in vain.
I don't think CANBUS issues are there for Head Units also. Many trendline owners have got aftermarket head units. I think CANBUS issues are prominent in those areas, the misfunctioning of which can give an error code in the MID/OBD.

If you are not able to find a solution, you can go ahead with head unit from Polo Comfortline or others which are used in VW cars (RCD 310, 510).

Did you try contacting VW directly or through your dealer? They might have a clue on this.

Thread Starter #3
I don't think CANBUS issues are there for Head Units also. Many trendline owners have got aftermarket head units. I think CANBUS issues are prominent in those areas, the misfunctioning of which can give an error code in the MID/OBD.

If you are not able to find a solution, you can go ahead with head unit from Polo Comfortline or others which are used in VW cars (RCD 310, 510).

Did you try contacting VW directly or through your dealer? They might have a clue on this.
Canbus issues are there. If you google you will find out whoever installed RCD 320/510 are facing Backilight problem, Switching ON/OFF problem & Bluetooth problem.

VW Service guys have no idea. They are directly saying this 3 issues will be there if you install RCD 320/510.

check this two links Problems after DIY install - RCD/RCN 320 on Polo/Vento - Page 2 - Team-BHP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfZj92z0kw

& if you check Ali Express just search RCD 320 canbus emulator & you will get 100s of that.

Check this.
Also, VW service guys dont know this. I asked them about RCD 320 they said you will have all those 3 issues. If you search on google RCD 320 Canbus emulator you will get the answer.

also, would like to add this two links to make it more clear.
https://www.hama.com/00107261/hama-can-bus-adapter-universal-

https://www.hama.com/00080951/hama-...ontrol-adapter-for-vw-with-can-bus-+-quadlock

Check this.
Also, VW service guys dont know this. I asked them about RCD 320 they said you will have all those 3 issues. If you search on google RCD 320 Canbus emulator you will get the answer.

also, would like to add this two links to make it more clear.
https://www.hama.com/00107261/hama-can-bus-adapter-universal-

https://www.hama.com/00080951/hama-...ontrol-adapter-for-vw-with-can-bus-+-quadlock
Then you should try sourcing from Vagtune or try importing the emulator from some friend abroad.

But as per my knowledge, aftermarket HUs should work. Try contacting any ICE installer near your place. I have even seen many Polo Trendline cars with aftermarket ICE (HUs from JVC) running absolutely fine. I think these CANBUS issues are limited to only Comfortline and Highline which get OEM HU and wiring. I will ask from ICE shops here if they have done installs on Polo Trendline successfully.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Then you should try sourcing from Vagtune or try importing the emulator from some friend abroad.

But as per my knowledge, aftermarket HUs should work. Try contacting any ICE installer near your place. I have even seen many Polo Trendline cars with aftermarket ICE (HUs from JVC) running absolutely fine. I think these CANBUS issues are limited to only Comfortline and Highline which get OEM HU and wiring. I will ask from ICE shops here if they have done installs on Polo Trendline successfully.
2015 Polo Trendline have pre wiring arrangements. Also, if you can find out whether aftermarkets HU like Blaupunkt / Sony works any issues, it will be of great help.

Problem is I am mostly travelling hence not able to visit any ice installer.

Thread Starter #6
After so many days of research, brain storming I have placed order for Aliexpress.com : Buy Free Shipping Car Radio DVD GPS Bluetooth For VW Volkswagen Passat B5 B6 Jetta Polo Jetta Touran Golf Tiguan CC GPS Radio from Reliable b5 images suppliers on AF Electronics Technology | Alibaba Group along with a oem type rear reverse camera with wireless transmitter.
Lets see how it gets. Finger Cross.
As my trendline already have prewiring & front two speakers install I wont be buying anything extra as of now.

After so many days of research, brain storming I have placed order for Aliexpress.com : Buy Free Shipping Car Radio DVD GPS Bluetooth For VW Volkswagen Passat B5 B6 Jetta Polo Jetta Touran Golf Tiguan CC GPS Radio from Reliable b5 images suppliers on AF Electronics Technology | Alibaba Group along with a oem type rear reverse camera with wireless transmitter.
Lets see how it gets. Finger Cross.
As my trendline already have prewiring & front two speakers install I wont be buying anything extra as of now.
Actually I talked to an ICE dealer on that day itself but forgot to update here. He said that in previous Trendline models, laying down all new wiring was his trick and HUs worked flawlessly. He had installed a 2DIN in one facelifted Trendline also but couldn't get the backlight (of HU) to work. Maybe this was because of this CANBUS issue, he also told that he had cut factory wiring during the install but that was because he didn't use emulator. But as the customer had bought the unit himself online and came for installation, nothing much could be done. And yes, he has installed Sony touchscreen, JVC and Pioneer 2DIN (in older Polos) and the facelifted Polo had JVC 2DIN. He says Blaupunkt has bad service incase some technical glitch occurs.

And now that you have ordered the part, do revert back when it arrives. [:)]

Thread Starter #8
Actually I talked to an ICE dealer on that day itself but forgot to update here. He said that in previous Trendline models, laying down all new wiring was his trick and HUs worked flawlessly. He had installed a 2DIN in one facelifted Trendline also but couldn't get the backlight (of HU) to work. Maybe this was because of this CANBUS issue, he also told that he had cut factory wiring during the install but that was because he didn't use emulator. But as the customer had bought the unit himself online and came for installation, nothing much could be done. And yes, he has installed Sony touchscreen, JVC and Pioneer 2DIN (in older Polos) and the facelifted Polo had JVC 2DIN. He says Blaupunkt has bad service incase some technical glitch occurs.

And now that you have ordered the part, do revert back when it arrives. [:)]
would you be able to suggest an installer for same in Mumbai / Thane. or VW service can help me?

would you be able to suggest an installer for same in Mumbai / Thane. or VW service can help me?
No idea. I am from NCR (Gurgaon). I doubt VW would install an aftermarket product, especially one that is not bought from them. Go for good reputed installers in your area and supervise everything.

Thread Starter #10
Ok. I am back once again.
I ordered:
1. Wholesale! 2 Din 7 Inch Car DVD Player For VW/Volkswagen/Passat/POLO/GOLF/Skoda/Seat With 3G USB GPS BT IPOD FM RDS Free Maps-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
To keep the OEM Look.

Then I decided to have a reverse camera as well so I ordered
2. SONY CCD HD Rear View Camera Backup Camera for VW SCIROCCO GOLF V 5 EOS LUPO PASSAT CC POLO(2 cage) PHAETON BEETLE SEAT VARIANT on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Then after thinking much about running video output wire from back end of car to CAR Radio being a very tedious job, I ordered:

3. 2016 Special Offer Motorcycle Kawasaki Vw Bora 2.4g Wireless Video Transmitter&receiver Module For Car Backup Rear View Camera -in Decals & Stickers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

All orders placed on 17 December 2015

item no. 1 was coming through ARAMEX and rest was through China Post.

Till date received only Item no. 3 Wireless Transmitter yesterday (flat in 17 days from china to my Mumbai Home). No customs paid.

Item no. 1 in Mumbai since 31st December 2015, but Aramex is taking it's own sweet time as they are saying they paid 4000 Rs for customs (where as invoice value was US $ 100 only) and I have asked for customs receipt, which they are still retrieving, as usual ARAMEX thing of looting.

One lesson learned, better order through Post or any other courier (if you are willing to pay some extra bucks) but not ARAMEX.

My elder brother said, he will DO IT by himself for Radio at least. Will keep posting as and when things are getting done.

Thread Starter #11
Ok here are the Pics of installed Head Unit.

Everything works like a charm. Only Grudge that is Car info is not showing being a Trendline model. Bluetooth is superb, even Viber calls are working on Bluetooth.

Let the pictures do talking.

Attachments

Thread Starter #13
Can you please post cost break up?
Cost in Rs. as follows:

HU RS 10700/- plus Customs Rs 4600/- Total Rs 15300/-
In my case courier was Aramex, better select china post or any other courier if you are willing to pay little extra for quicker delivery. Aramex are looting.

Installation cost = Nil (simple DIY).

Wireless Transmitter for Reverse cam = approx Rs 700/- (nothing extra paid)
OEM type Reverse Cam = approx Rs 800/- (still to arrive).

Hope this helps.

nice installation, how is your navigation working? where did you put the antenna and procedure to do the same? I have the same headunit in my aliexpress watch list will be ordering it soon hopefully. How is the video quality and is there any lag? sorry for too much questions.

Thread Starter #15
nice installation, how is your navigation working? where did you put the antenna and procedure to do the same? I have the same headunit in my aliexpress watch list will be ordering it soon hopefully. How is the video quality and is there any lag? sorry for too much questions.
Thank you jazzy!!
My Polo Trendline had pre wiring done and 2 front speakers installed. Just removed the front dashboard trim & secret compartment. And connected the antenna wire, and power supply from my Polo to HU, and GPS antenna supplied with the unit. GPS antenna has magnetic in the base plus 3M tape. I just put the antenna on the metal top of HU and pushed back the HU inside the compartment.

GPS is showing full signal. Supplied map was 2013 map, just updated it with 2015 Quarter 2 map and it is working very good.

Routed the USB from rear to glow box, there was a provision to just cut open a small opening in glove box touching the HU side, just opened it and put the cables there.
Installation is just a 10 mins job, if the wirings are provided.

Touch is good, no lag in playing movies. Bluetooth function awesome, even Viber call is routed through bluetooth.

iPhone connection via bluetooth or USB flawless.

FM quality is also very good.

All in all worth the money paid, especially you wont get a HU with GPS in this cost plus OEM look.

yes inside the basement neither you get FM signal nor GPS signal, which is same with all HU.

Tools needed:
Panel Trim Removing tool (supplied with the HU)
T20 (torx screw driver)
in another word T20 Allen key
Philips screw driver and some spare time.

Top Bottom