Wiring for Car Audio : Queries & Discussion

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends.

I am creating this thread to have a discussion regarding wiring used for car audio installations. All doubts, queries and discussion can be had here at one place.

I myself have some doubts and would like other experts to join in.

Query
I am currently having Focal PK21 4 Guage wiring kit. My kit is 99% oxygen free copper but being an entry level kit from Focal, it is slightly poor in quality and I think need to try Finolex or other home wires for powering the amplifiers (carry current and NOT audio signals from car battery) as they are relatively cheaper (worth a try!). I have 2 amplifiers and run different power cables (seperate) for both. I have no idea about the maximum current draw but the amplifjers are pretty powerful (600w+800w Total RMS, 1200+1600w Maximum). One of them has 25A x3 fuses and other has 40A x2 fuses.

I have heard than many people use Finolex and similar wires for powering amplifiers, as they have slightly better copper content. I would like to know what all options I have and how successful will it be when used in a car. 8-9m would be enough for powering both the amps. Let the suggestions roll in.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello IW,

The dealer you approached appears Ill-informed.

1>Prices are much too high, Esp for 1.5 SQMM ones. My sale for 1.5mm is Rs 11/MTR. I.e. 55 Rs for 5M

2> Anything below 6.0 SQ mm is not useful for powering amps. You're looking for a comfortable current capacity of 20~35 Amps. Any weaker wires will simply melt. Sale Rate for 6.0 Sqmm shall be about 40~50 per MTR.

3> There is no relation of FR and copper. Copper is same in all Cables. The FR-Low smoke-Low halogen have a difference in Insulation coating. They emit less toxic gases in case of fire or short circuit.

4> If your current kit is 90% copper you have vastly inferior kit or simply duplicate product. Even lesser brand cables are above 95% copper these days.

5> Attatching Price list of Finolex FR and Halogen-Free Low smoke FR.
There might be some variation depending on city.

Mode please remove price list if its not allowed.

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question ? how hard is it to install a music system in a car ? HU and 4 speakers only in a car which has none. i know i can wire up the HU correctly and HUs now come with correct adaptors so just plug and play it seems. Speakers will just need a spacer ring if size issues so that can be sorted later.

Thread Starter #4
Which car is it? I have no idea about HU but speakers can be fitted pretty easily, wiring part looks tedious but is actually very less time consuming if one knows the job. Do check if your car gets wiring laid out from the factory, this would make the installation easier.

Which car is it? I have no idea about HU but speakers can be fitted pretty easily, wiring part looks tedious but is actually very less time consuming if one knows the job. Do check if your car gets wiring laid out from the factory, this would make the installation easier.
This is for a grand i10. Mine does not come with music from company so i will have to lay wires on my own. HU i saw a video online and the guy just plugged speaker wires to back and screwed it 4 places after pulling out front panel.
actually how does one route wires to a door ? checked door on sunday and it has a sealed place from where wires go to a door.

Time is not the issue as i can spend whole weekend on it if needed.

Thread Starter #6
This is for a grand i10. Mine does not come with music from company so i will have to lay wires on my own. HU i saw a video online and the guy just plugged speaker wires to back and screwed it 4 places after pulling out front panel.
actually how does one route wires to a door ? checked door on sunday and it has a sealed place from where wires go to a door.

Time is not the issue as i can spend whole weekend on it if needed.
I think you are having the Magna variant. Do try opening the doorpad/centre console to see if you car has wiring laid out. Some cars in India get wiring laid out from the factory in lower variants and the owner just has to install the equipment. Or you can ask your dealer or Hyundai directly regarding this.

The HU will require an adapter/connector to go in with the company wiring, unless it is OEM one. Do go to these links and see the picture of the dashboard and door wiring. The pictures are of a LHD i10 and you will not need to route in that complicated way around the dashboard as you won't be having steering controls.

Hyundai Grand i10: Door Wiring

Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 Petrol: Dashboard Wiring

PS. I tried posting images directly but Image URL was unbelievably long (2.5 Lac something characters!).

I think you are having the Magna variant. Do try opening the doorpad/centre console to see if you car has wiring laid out. Some cars in India get wiring laid out from the factory in lower variants and the owner just has to install the equipment. Or you can ask your dealer or Hyundai directly regarding this.

The HU will require an adapter/connector to go in with the company wiring, unless it is OEM one. Do go to these links and see the picture of the dashboard and door wiring. The pictures are of a LHD i10 and you will not need to route in that complicated way around the dashboard as you won't be having steering controls.

Hyundai Grand i10: Door Wiring

Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 Petrol: Dashboard Wiring

PS. I tried posting images directly but Image URL was unbelievably long (2.5 Lac something characters!).
i will ask hyundai first , this video makes it look very easy . same magna variant just lhd version of car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltlBVgGWJvY

Top Bottom