Getting The Best Out of My ICE

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

just wanted to know how I can get the best out of my ICE. In my Swift, I have the Pioneer 3690ui with Harman Infinity 6502ix reference speakers in the doors. Few problems

1) Music is pleasant but just ok. Not really anything to mention
2) The front speakers are quiet . I originally had Polk db6501 in but after one got damaged by water from the door, I installed Infinity speakers in the front as well. Though these sounded great while installing, they ended up quieter just like the polk probably due to the door placement
3) I mostly drive myself but recently, I had to sit in the back and found it to be much noisier than the front. My doors arent dampened, do I need to do that? If I am to do damping, how much dynamat would I require? Is there a cheaper alternative to dynamat?
4) What settings do I do in the HU to get the best sound quality ? Remember, I want pleasant clear sound, not head banging. I listen to mostly old hindi movie songs but also a mix of new and semi-classical songs

Ameyam

Hi,

just wanted to know how I can get the best out of my ICE. In my Swift, I have the Pioneer 3690ui with Harman Infinity 6502ix reference speakers in the doors. Few problems

1) Music is pleasant but just ok. Not really anything to mention
2) The front speakers are quiet . I originally had Polk db6501 in but after one got damaged by water from the door, I installed Infinity speakers in the front as well. Though these sounded great while installing, they ended up quieter just like the polk probably due to the door placement
3) I mostly drive myself but recently, I had to sit in the back and found it to be much noisier than the front. My doors arent dampened, do I need to do that? If I am to do damping, how much dynamat would I require? Is there a cheaper alternative to dynamat?
4) What settings do I do in the HU to get the best sound quality ? Remember, I want pleasant clear sound, not head banging. I listen to mostly old hindi movie songs but also a mix of new and semi-classical songs

Ameyam
Hello buddy! There are too many functions and settings in your Pioneer HU, like, HPF, Active Sub control, different EQ settings, Bass boost , Source level adjustment etc. Try and adjust all these as per your requirements.
If your doors are rattling while playing music then you need to damp the doors otherwise if door are not rattling with or without music, then you don't need to damp the doors.

Thread Starter #3
Hi,

Inside the car i dont have any rattling. From outside though you can feel the door skin vibrating but there is no audible buzz

Ameyam

Hi,

Inside the car i dont have any rattling. From outside though you can feel the door skin vibrating but there is no audible buzz

Ameyam
That's good, then you don't need to waste your money on damping which is quite costly.
Just do the right setting and everything will be perfect .

bhvm

Honoured Member
There are many options.
1. Play with the EQ. Play your fav songs and try various settings. Try this only when parked in a silent place.

2. Upgrade the Front speakers to components and rear to 6x9

3. Add a subwoofer and an Amp to really open up the potential.

4. Do not confuse Sound insulation with Sound damping. Damping is adding mass to metal panels to reduce rattles and resonance. If you want Sound insulation, you need to do floor carpeting/ Insulation and add foam on Firewall and hood/ Boot.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Actually, I forgot to mention- no way I am going for component speakers- for wiring and security reasons (parking on the road). Also for the same reason, I wont go for an amp. The front speaker opening can only take the 6.5" speakers. Don't you think the Infinity speakers are good enough? There is no issue with sound volume or distortion- I mostly run the thing at under 15 points of volume

I understand that damping is not required. How do I make the back seat a bit quieter? Basically I was sitting in the back that one off day as I was not feeling well enough to drive and the sound of passing bikes and cars was much louder than in the front. So much so that I was wondering if any of the windows were open. Don't know if that perception was due to my health then.
I already underbody coating, carpet lamination, a set of clear mats (provided by the dealer) and another set of box mats (which I couldn't get rid of).
I will try the EQ. Mine is currently set to classical settings which I did based on my perception in the front. But adding a rear bias is simply going to make the back seat more noisy.

Ameyam

Check these rubber door seals. May be these need replacement. There are some other rubber seals also, check those too, if these are properly fitted or not?
tmp_22149-images(2)-513645589.jpg

If you're having only 4 Infinity speakers in the doors, all powered by the HU, then I assume a FADER issue. Adjust your HU settings or do let us know what all adjustments are available to suggest you better.

No you don't need damping for your setup, unlesd you are really irritated by outside noises and car vibration sounds during music playback. Wurth damping and dampmat are cheaper alternatives to Dynamat. Also Dynamat lite sheets are cheaper as compared to Dynamat extreme. As an example, I am using Dynamat Extreme in 3 of my cars. Front doors used 6 sheets in total and would cost around 5000 or more. I used 15 sheets in Swift and Dzire and 17 sheets in the Etios!

Thread Starter #10
Does anyone know any damping installers in mumbai? I just want to get the back doors dampened to make it a bit quieter in the back. In the front, I need to hear neighboring vehicles

With regards to the header settings, I put in a few newer songs into my collection and suddenly the HU and speakers have a lot of punch. Its just the king of music I was listening to previously

Ameyam

Top Bottom