Maruti Wagon-R LXI - Audio Improvement Suggestions

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends
I have Brought a Refurbished Wagon R. I need to Improve the Audio Quality
> Your Car:
Wagon R LXI
> Budget Range:
Max of 5000
> Looking For (Full Setup, Head Unit etc.)
Speakers ( Coaxial Or Component)
> Preferred Brands (If any):
Blapunkt if not Pioneer last option Sony Xplod
> Preferred Music Genre:
English Rock, Hindi and South Indian
> Existing Audio Setup:
Sony CDX-GT50UMS[evil]
> Misc. Details / Specific Questions:
~Need to know which model to be brought in the Speaker Category.
~Need to know whether my Sony HU drives the Speakers brought without amp?
~Need to know which sounds Better in Rear Tray!. I am Confused do i really need a Component system for this small car? Kindly Enlighten me.[roll]

Also i found the Sony Xplod speakers Cheaper in Snapdeal and Flipkart. Does it really make some deal.? I am not a Loud music listener not to an extent but needs a decent speaker to uphold the willingness!

Cheers guys (PS : Read many posts in this forum but cant get the Answer i needed for)

~Need to know whether my Sony HU drives the Speakers brought without amp?
~Need to know which sounds Better in Rear Tray!. I am Confused do i really need a Component system for this small car? Kindly Enlighten me.
First of all adding an amplifier or a component speaker doesn't mean it will make the sound too loud and make you cringe your teeth. But it will improve the overall sound quality and clarity. So having a small car or big car really doesn't matter!.

Your Sony HU have 50W output per channel with the built in amp, so buy a speaker with 30-50W rated power (less than the maximum amp output so that you HU amp will be 'relaxed').

If you have no plans for adding an amplifier later, you can stick with coaxial speakers. In that case go for a coaxial round speakers on front doors and 3+ channel 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel tray.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
you have put a nice challenge.

for 5k either you go for crappy Chinese set of hu, speakers.

or.

get a used set that sounds better but source should be trustful.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks @LamesonWheels I would prefer using the HU Sony which is there already with Co axial Speakers for the rear Parcel tray. Front i have already some Speakers which are decent (Xplod Stuff)[clap]
Can i buy the Oval Speakers
Model :
Pioneer TS-R6950S 3 Way 6 x 9 Multi-layer Mica Matrix Cone Coaxial Car
(OR)
Model :
Blaupunkt GTx 542 DE Coaxial Car Speaker
(OR)
Model :JBL 6.5 Inches 2-Way CX 62SI Coaxial Car Speaker
Will all these needs AMP or my HU will Drive?

Thread Starter #5
Hi @bhvm
Crappy Chinese... If you read i already have mentioned that i have a Sony HU which im not changing . Just need to Change the Rear Speakers in parcel tray

Thread Starter #7
@bhvm
Model :
Pioneer TS-R6950S 3 Way 6 x 9 Multi-layer Mica Matrix Cone Coaxial Car
(OR)
Model :
Blaupunkt GTx 542 DE Coaxial Car Speaker
(OR)
Model :JBL 6.5 Inches 2-Way CX 62SI Coaxial Car Speaker

> Existing Audio Setup:
Sony CDX-GT50UMS
> Misc. Details / Specific Questions:
Thanks @LamesonWheels I would prefer using the HU Sony which is there already with Co axial Speakers for the rear Parcel tray. Front i have already some Speakers which are decent (Xplod Stuff)[clap]
Hi, Arun. Unfortunately your descriptions are quite confusing. In first post you said you have an HU only. Then you are saying you have some speakers too. I am assuming now you need an HU driven speaker for rear, so strike off the JBL and blaupunkt components from the list as your HU can't drive them effectively. Go for oval 6x9 size coaxial speakers for the rear. While looking for 6x9 speakers make sure they are rated for 30-50w rms, and not more than that (Pioneer TS-R6950S is rated 50W RMS). You can find these details in product description in e-seller sites like snapdeal.

Your HU/builtin amp is like a porter who can carry maximum of 50KG (50W per channel) luggage on his head. If you make him carry 70-100KG (High RMS speakers), he can still carry it but he can't do it efficiently and it will make him too tired. If its a 30-50KG bag (speakers rated 30-50W RMS)he will carry it so effortlessly with a whistle!.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
dear lm,
your analog is good but it's incorrect. using higher powered speakers than your amp/hu does not overload anything. just you need to keep an ear for distortion /clipping which could harm the speaker.

do let me know if you want to debate.

and yes, op himself appears confused. he confused me too.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks and Sorry for confusing you folks. You guys were really helpful! @lames and @bhvm
Thanks for the innovative way to explain the Porter story[;)] It was good reading tough..
To clear the air and give more clarity , I think my HU is written 52 W X4 so i assume it can drive 4 Speakers Front and Back with 52 W each.? (Correct me if im wrong)

HU is not going to go anywhere as Arun aint got money [:D] to change. But he can afford a Decent speaker. There are already speakers installed in the front door which was crappy (i dint open to see it so this is the info i got)
I am going through snapdeal and flipkart for some time now and i have came to a conclusion that Pioneer - TS A935H 16 X 24 cm, 3-way Speaker will be good. !
Say something from your experience and we will find out.

So to be crystal clear as you experts can help me can this speaker solve my purpose to hear nice audio and my HU can drive this speaker (Porter type) RMS is 90 W i think based on the inputs i am getting from Internet? Please confirm!

bhvm

Honoured Member
TS-A935H

yes. they're looking good. for about 3k for them, you have 2k on hand to upgrade the front ones. if your fronts are crappy, they will make whole setup sound crappy.

other thing is you better read the user manual of HU to setup the eq and other parameters correctly.

ps. don't buy online. get it from a shop who can install it professionally and suggest you the best route.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Thanks Bhvm. so you reckon this will be driven by my HU. ? Ok then let me walk to a installtion point to buy and install.. Meanwhile my craze towards JBL is woozing , can you suggest one good speaker in JBL for cross comparison. Just for my sake please [;)]

Sir, I lack knowledge and skills to debate with someone like you and I am not at all good at debates. Thanks for correcting me, but what I meant is you should not push the amp to its limits and should feed the speakers enough. The amp should be able to supply atleast 75% of the RMS rating of the speaker to sound good, and in the above post also I didn't say it won't work otherwise. If you have speakers already you can (you will be forced to) make any combination to work, but in this case the speakers are not yet bought he have the option to go for what best suits his current HU.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Hi Lame Could you have any suggestion on my speaker selection. Since you have come with RMS issue whether the speaker i selected will be driven in this case?pls help

Top Bottom