Speaker Baffles

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Trying to resolve an issue with my Swift. Speakers installed in the driver side door seems to get wet & damage. While speaking to a relative abroad, they suggested to install foam baffles around the speaker. Even the MASS fellow was saying something similar though his speakers were madly expensive. Are baffles available in India & if not, what other way can i protect the speaker from water?

Ameyam

Trying to resolve an issue with my Swift. Speakers installed in the driver side door seems to get wet & damage.
IMO it is better to get the leakage problem resolved by MASS, as water reaching upto there is something unusual. There are many swift owners here(including me), I don't think anyone else is facing such a problem with speakers. The water must be entering through the gap between window glass and door panels. Why don't you try replacing the seal strip (3M makes such strips) on the door instead of looking for something hard to find in India?.

Thread Starter #4
I did tell the MASS to resolve it. Against their willingness, i had them pressure wash the car on the driverside. When they opened the door trim, there was water on the inner plastic in the open bay just above where the speaker is installed. They said that was normal but that when the speakers were installed, the installer had pulled the plastic lining away from the metal panel & that this gap was letting water come through across the inner metal panel & onto the speaker face on the trim panel side. They taped down the opening much to my disgust at this "jugaad" & clamoured to install the speaker with their hardware kit (my speaker was stolen from my electricain's box so i didnt have a speaker installed then)

Ameyam

Last edited:
+1 to what Lameassonwheels said.

Try solving the water seepage problem instead of finding the speaker water guard. It must be a problem with the beadings and rubber linings that water is entering the speaker area.

I have a Swift and the speaker is totally protected from inside (i.e. through doorpad storage and not from mesh side) and the water must be entering from outside (window edge or door bottom). You should take the car to 3M outlet for a better response and solution to the problem.

^^So isn't it possible to put the plastic lining and door seal back from MASS?. If they are unwilling go to another MASS. In the worst case go to some garage who are familiar with these kind of work. With the speaker baffles you will indeed protect the speakers but what about the inside door area where water will remain?. IMO it is better to get rid of the root cause before thinking about add-on solutions.

Thread Starter #7
Water does enter the Swift (or for that matter, any car door) through the seals. It runs through the door between the outer and inner metal panels to the bottom of the door where drain points are provided. Had seen this in my Wagon R as well.

My contention is that the MASS fellows say this- when you take off the door inside plastic trim panel, there plastic sheet between that panel and the inner metal skin panel of the door. This plastic sheet is held in place with lines of silicone. One side was open, presumably opened during the speaker installation. The MASS contention is that this is where water is seeping through. He taped is worn with clear packing tape which I found disgraceful as a solution.
Basically, rather than solving my problem, they were more interested in selling me the speaker hardware kit. I didn't contest or argue. This guy doesn't even know what the hardware kit contains!
Basically I have two options- ask them to supply and install the new speaker so I can jack them when its spoils or get it done outside. Or I can put in a baffle or guard. Since MASS isint going to help me with the speaker, I thought I will go for the baffle.

Now, I do have a pressure washer. I am thinking I will remove the trim and have someone wash the car with me sitting inside so I will know exactly where the water is coming from. Then I can ask my mechanic to fix the issue with genuine spare parts. Then, when I go to MASS next time, I can talk them down. I have already decided that I will have the same SA attend my car everytime so I can rack his brains

Ameyam

Thread Starter #8
Well, I got the water guards and I am going to get the Service centre to fix what water leaks are left in the week. Someone from the MASS already confirmed that the water guards I have are the same as the MASS uses. Now I need to order speakers. What available with pros and cons are below
Alpine SPR 60- I am told they are good but too expensive to risk if the get wet
Polk db651- Water resistant speakers so not too much risk if they get wet, especially with the water guards but I am told they require an amp for really sounding good
Polk dxi 950- I am told these are good and cheaper than the db651 but arent waterproof
Infinity Reference 9502ix- I found that these 3ohm resistance speakers (which I have in the back doors) are a bit harsh on the ears
JBL CSx63SI- as per the MASS, these are popular but I cant find much about them
Pioneer G1344- A lot of people tell me Pioneer are good for Auto applications and I do have a Pioneer (3690ui) HU. But unable to find much on these speakers
Rockford Fosgate R1675- I know the 6x9 speaker from Rockford is quite good. This one was also available at the MASS
Someone offered me imported speakers from a company called Audio-System. Not sure how those are because I cant find a single review

I am now getting pretty confused
Should I get the speakers from MASS, now that I have the water guards or should I get my regular mechanic to install them?
In either case, which should I get?
In case I go for the db651s, so I need an amp? I am not a fan of having anything lying around in the car
I also noted that the MASS is not really pothered to fix water leaks, their attitude is more that water will get in anyway. I can always have a outside known mechanic replace the relevant parts with genuine replacements from a Maruti retail outlet. Not sure what I should do there either

Ameyam

Last edited:

Top Bottom