Speakers and Sub for Honda Civic?

Thread Starter #1
I am looking for some speaker/amp/subwoofer install on my 2007 Civic VAT. Currently all speakers are stock and no amp/sub with OEM Alpine head unit which is a 6 cd changer with aux, fm and no usb. I like the sound output of OEM HU and the way its integrated into the dashboard, so dont wanna change HU for now. It doesnt come with a pre-out so adding a sub-amp will be a bit difficult I think.

So instead I am thinking to upgrade stock speakers. Front takes upto 6.5" speakers with a tweeter in the dash and rear takes 6.5" and 6X9 too I think. My budget is upto 10k for speakers or 12k for a basic sub-amp (with stock speakers)

I want more thump inside the car for David Guetta type songs. I dont need "mirrors shaking" kind of bass, just enough bass so that songs like these doesnt sound lifeless as it is now. Can I get this with a good pair of speakers or do I need to go the sub-amp way?

What are my speaker options? Components? Coaxials? Can I just add speakers by replacing stock ones and without extra wiring or cutting?

Is there a way to add sub-amp without changing the HU considering the fact that it doesnt have pre-out? If so whats the best entry level options under 12K that includes amp,sub and wiring kit if needed ? If sub-amp is possible then I dont wanna do speaker upgrades for now.

Thanks for reading.. [:)]

Last edited:
I am looking for some speaker/amp/subwoofer install on my 2007 Civic VAT. Currently all speakers are stock and no amp/sub with OEM Alpine head unit which is a 6 cd changer with aux, fm and no usb. I like the sound output of OEM HU and the way its integrated into the dashboard, so dont wanna change HU for now. It doesnt come with a pre-out so adding a sub-amp will be a bit difficult I think.

So instead I am thinking to upgrade stock speakers. Front takes upto 6.5" speakers with a tweeter in the dash and rear takes 6.5" and 6X9 too I think. My budget is upto 10k for speakers or 12k for a basic sub-amp (with stock speakers)

I want more thump inside the car for David Guetta type songs. I dont need "mirrors shaking" kind of bass, just enough bass so that songs like these doesnt sound lifeless as it is now. Can I get this with a good pair of speakers or do I need to go the sub-amp way?

What are my speaker options? Components? Coaxials? Can I just add speakers by replacing stock ones and without extra wiring or cutting?

Is there a way to add sub-amp without changing the HU considering the fact that it doesnt have pre-out? If so whats the best entry level options under 12K that includes amp,sub and wiring kit if needed ? If sub-amp is possible then I dont wanna do speaker upgrades for now.

Thanks for reading.. [:)]
Hello!
No pre out? No problem . You need hi/low level converter to attach an amp with your HU.
Are you satisfied with loudness and quality of sound of your stock speakers and need only some bass? If this is the case, then you can go for a sub in sealed enclosure with an amp. You can adjust the bass as per your requirements.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Are you satisfied with loudness and quality of sound of your stock speakers and need only some bass? If this is the case, then you can go for a sub in sealed enclosure with an amp. You can adjust the bass as per your requirements.
Yes thats what I want if I can indeed add a sub without a pre-out option. How much does these high low converters cost and any specific brands I should ask for? And where does it go - on the headunit side or speakers?

And whats the best sub-amp combination I can get for 12k max? Any good brands like JBL, Rockford Fosgate, Hertz, Polk in this range?

Thanks for the reply

Yes thats what I want if I can indeed add a sub without a pre-out option. How much does these high low converters cost and any specific brands I should ask for? And where does it go - on the headunit side or speakers?

And whats the best sub-amp combination I can get for 12k max? Any good brands like JBL, Rockford Fosgate, Hertz, Polk in this range?
Hi low converters are available around rs. 1200- 1500 online, will be cheaper at local shops.
For amp this is good one having some good reviews http://m.snapdeal.com/product/blaupunkt-gta-470-sf-amplifier/651044?tag= or any other brand having minimum 4x 70w rms @ 4 ohms
Amp kit http://m.snapdeal.com/product/se-boss-amp-car-wiring/851800115?tag=
And for sub you can go for JBL GTX 12“ sub with enclosure around rs. 3500.

Last edited:

I quite did not get what all you actually want to upgrade. Still giving my 2 cents.

For connecting amp to the stock HU, as Saroya brother said, you need a hi-lo converter or choke. Price depends on brands. Local ones cost a bit less than 1000 bucks. JBL costs Rs. 1500 approx. There are other brands also like Rockford Fosgate, which would be priced higher.

It goes on the HU side and not the speakers. It will be placed behind the HU/covered by the dash and basically provides a connection to connect the amplifier to the HU.

For 12k combination, leave aside the 2k for wiring (fusion, kicker, audison, etc.; fusion would come for 1000 bucks) and labour costs. With 10k in hand, you need a box (sealed or ported), a 12" sub and a 2/4 channel amp. Set aside 1k for the box.

For the amp, if you are dead sure that you will not upgrade the speakers (or not power them with the amp after upgrade) then you can go for a 2 channel amp. Else, opt for a 4 channel so that you can use the remaining 2 channels for your future components. With a tight budget like this, go for JBL, Pioneer, Kenwood or Ground Zero. Basically you have to compare the specs, i.e. RMS per channel. Don't go for the local made V12 or the Sony. 2 channel would cost 3k and 4 channel would be 4k, without bill and warranty.

For the sub, you would have 5k or 6k at max. You can get a decent 12" performer in this price range easily. Do check the RMS power and make sure your amp makes that power in bridged mode. Rockford RS1214 (or similar) and JBL GTX1200 and Pioneer Champion series are very popular. They cost around 3500 or less, without bill and warranty. You can check out entry level Hertz, GZ and Infinity also, which will come under 6k.

The ideal combo would be JBL 2 Channel Amp + Infinity 12" Sub + Some Branded Wiring + JBL Converter + Sealed Box. It would cost under 12k, excluding the converter.

If you are considering to upgrade the speakers also in future, go for this combo:

JBL GTX1200 - 3k
JBL GXA644SI - 4k
Sealed Box 1 cubic ft - 1k
Fusion Wiring - 1k
JBL Converter - 1.5k
Polk DB6501 Comps - 5.5k
JBL GTO949 6x9s - 5k
Labour & Misc - 1k

Total= Rs. 22000 (under your total budget IMO)

In this arrangement, you can power the comps and sub with the amp and run the coaxials off the HU. Do not power the stock speakers with the amp.

PS. For David Guetta songs (like Titanium), you need a decent sub in a sealed box with good performing components (powered by an amp) to hear the crystal clear vocals with tight beats. Go for the Rs. 22k plan, my personal opinion. [:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
I quite did not get what all you actually want to upgrade. Still giving my 2 cents.
Thanks for the detailed info, Niku [:)]

I'm sorry if my post was confusing - I actually need the sub-amp and can live with stock speakers. But I didnt know whether I could add an amp without pre-out from HU, so was looking for just speaker upgrades. Now that I know its possible with converters, I have slightly increased my budget to get branded wiring kit as I'm a bit safety conscious when it comes to wiring.

This is what I am narrowing down to:

• Blaupunkt EMA255 2Ch Amp ~ 3600
    OR
  • JBL GX-A644Si 4Ch Amp ~ 5800
  • JBL GT-X1200 ~ 3000
  • Sub Enclosure ~ 1000
  • Fusion Wiring Kit ~ 1200
  • JBL high-low converter ~ 1500

Blaupunkt amp saves some money and does the job for now as I only need to add Sub and not speakers. Getting the 4 channel amp gives room for a front components upgrade in future although I am not quite sure about when and whether I would go for it. Audio upgrades can become addictive and sometimes cost more than the car itself if we think too much into it. I know someone who started with 15K budget for Civic and ended up spending 1.5lacs+ for audio!!

I checked with the car accessory shops here and most of these are not available with them and can be made-to-order but prices are higher than these. They stock things like Pronod, Dainty, Worldtech etc. and a limited range of Jbl and Pioneer Subs. Above prices are from online shops like Snapdeal, Paytm, Amazon etc. So I told I'll get it online and come there for install. Labour charges would be like 800-1000.

I dont know where I can get the JBL converter and Fusion wiring kit. Shops quoted 800 (Soundboss,Branford) for wiring kit and about 500rs for line-out converter which I think is local one. Can I get the Fusion kit and JBL converter online? Or any other brands in this price range? Is Soundboss and Branford any good for wiring?

Also I'm a bit uncomfortable with someone opening up the dashboard and mess with stock HU and wiring etc. The shop guy mentioned something like powering the amp from rear speakers instead by using high input amp or something like that. Is that a possibility?

Last edited:
  • Blaupunkt EMA255 2Ch Amp ~ 3600
    OR
  • JBL GX-A644Si 4Ch Amp ~ 5800
  • JBL GT-X1200 ~ 3000
  • Sub Enclosure ~ 1000
  • Fusion Wiring Kit ~ 1200
  • JBL high-low converter ~ 1500

Blaupunkt amp saves some money and does the job for now as I only need to add Sub and not speakers. Getting the 4 channel amp gives room for a front components upgrade in future although I am not quite sure about when and whether I would go for it. Audio upgrades can become addictive and sometimes cost more than the car itself if we think too much into it. I know someone who started with 15K budget for Civic and ended up spending 1.5lacs+ for audio!!

I checked with the car accessory shops here and most of these are not available with them and can be made-to-order but prices are higher than these. They stock things like Pronod, Dainty, Worldtech etc. and a limited range of Jbl and Pioneer Subs. Above prices are from online shops like Snapdeal, Paytm, Amazon etc. So I told I'll get it online and come there for install. Labour charges would be like 800-1000.

I dont know where I can get the JBL converter and Fusion wiring kit. Shops quoted 800 (Soundboss,Branford) for wiring kit and about 500rs for line-out converter which I think is local one. Can I get the Fusion kit and JBL converter online? Or any other brands in this price range? Is Soundboss and Branford any good for wiring?

Also I'm a bit uncomfortable with someone opening up the dashboard and mess with stock HU and wiring etc. The shop guy mentioned something like powering the amp from rear speakers instead by using high input amp or something like that. Is that a possibility?
Where exactly are you located? In Faridabad, I was in an ICE shop today and enquired about a setup, similar to what you are looking for.

JBL GTX1200 - 2650 (without bill)
JBL GXA644SI - 4400 (without bill)
JBL Converter - 1100
Fusion Wiring - 900
Sealed Box - 500
Free Labour

Total comes to a dirt cheap 9500 bucks. If you can come to Faridabad by any chance, then you can get the most bang for the buck setup. Components start at 2k and GTO949 Coaxial is available for 3500 bucks. Wiring kits start at 300 for chinese ones.

Think about it as a one time investment. JBL GXA644SI is a very good amp. I am using it since some time now and the performance is satisfactory. If looking at 2 channel options, look out for GXA622SI. Better would be a 4 channel though.

For wiring, I don't have much idea but Audison and other brands have better wiring kits, with almost double the price you pay for Fusion. Fusion isn't a great brand any way but I am not facing any problems.

You can order all the items online, after reading the reviews. For speakers, ordering online is not advisable. Soundboss and Branford aren't good ones, Fusion is better than these.

And about the shop guy's advice, yes modern amplifiers (almost all now) come with a high level or speaker level input which eliminates the need of a converter. But, not every installer is having adequate knowledge of installing via speaker level and some shop owners say that converter improves thd audio quality. Converter is a better idea anyday.

Send specs of the amplifiers shortlisted and the final sub selected, so we can compare how the combo will suffice, by comparing RMS and Max powers. I think if you are not having a problem with JBL subwoofer, it would be a good choice as BL is high and quality is very good (cone, rubber) which gives better bass response. Plus it goes as low as 23 Hz which is better than other subs that go ~35 Hz.

PS. I am viewing through TAI Mobile App and can't view your location, sorry. Hope the reply was helpful. Ask more questions if you have.

Regards,
Nikunj

Thread Starter #10
Those are some killer prices Niku. I'm from Kochi, Kerala and the prices arent that competitive here. Also the selection of good subs/speakers/amps in stock are very small as most people here goes for that Worldtech type bass tube thing here or entry level sub-amp from Pioneer/Sony etc.

That JBL 4Ch amp costs 6.5 - 7K and GTX1200 costs like 5000 with box and takes few days for them to make it available if I give advance. I could go hunting for more car shops and find some of these readily available, but I dont think price would be that cheaper than buying online. So I'm thinking to get amp (either Blaupunkt 255 or Jbl GXA644SI, still not decided) and sub (JBL GTX1200 confirmed) from Paytm as they offer Rs.2000 cashback for JBL Sub. Will get the sub enclosure from installer itself and all there is left is converter and wiring!!

Is this the one you are talking about?

Fusion Amp wiring kit

I checked few shops here and they dont have Fusion or any higher brands in stock. All they got are Branford and some other chinese brands. So will order these online for now.

I still cant find JBL converter online and few shops I checked dont have them, so that would take some hunting time!!

And here's link to amp specifications:

http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/nc/products/in-vehicle-entertainment/amplifiers/products/single/4187/

http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-gx-a644si-four-channel-car-amplifier.html

Cant find official link for jbl sub, so here's amazon link: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00N1R9EBU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Blaupunkt specification shows "adapter for high level input" inside package, that looks promising..

Last edited:
Those are some killer prices Niku. I'm from Kochi, Kerala and the prices arent that competitive here. Also the selection of good subs/speakers/amps in stock are very small as most people here goes for that Worldtech type bass tube thing here or entry level sub-amp from Pioneer/Sony etc.

That JBL 4Ch amp costs 6.5 - 7K and GTX1200 costs like 5000 with box and takes few days for them to make it available if I give advance. I could go hunting for more car shops and find some of these readily available, but I dont think price would be that cheaper than buying online. So I'm thinking to get amp (either Blaupunkt 255 or Jbl GXA644SI, still not decided) and sub (JBL GTX1200 confirmed) from Paytm as they offer Rs.2000 cashback for JBL Sub. Will get the sub enclosure from installer itself and all there is left is converter and wiring!!

Is this the one you are talking about?

Fusion Amp wiring kit

I checked few shops here and they dont have Fusion or any higher brands in stock. All they got are Branford and some other chinese brands. So will order these online for now.

I still cant find JBL converter online and few shops I checked dont have them, so that would take some hunting time!!

And here's link to amp specifications:

http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/nc/products/in-vehicle-entertainment/amplifiers/products/single/4187/

http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-gx-a644si-four-channel-car-amplifier.html

Cant find official link for jbl sub, so here's amazon link: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00N1R9EBU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Blaupunkt specification shows "adapter for high level input" inside package, that looks promising..
The prices are as a result of competition here. We have a market dedicated to car accessories with over 50 shops at one place. I have even seen some shop owners themselves accompamying customers to their shops when they walk out of the car! Such is the competition. A shop owner, here, would not mind reducing 50/100 rupees if he gets a deal for 2600 bucks. [:)]

I thought the modification scene is better in the south. I strictly advice you not to buy those products at that price. Buy them online, there is nothing you have to practically see when buying an amp and sub (maybe).

As you have finalised the subwoofer, buy it from Amazon.in at Rs. 2890. Grab this deal, I don't think you would get a lower price online than this. I assume this would be with warranty, so it makes the offer even better.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00N1R9EBU?me=&ref=olp_product_details

Get a good quality box made. Manual would say - 1 cubic feet for a sealed box. Ported and bandpass would sound much boomy and that is not preferred in a sedan like Civic. Price must be under 1k.

Now with 4k out, you have a sub and a box. Search for an amp and wiring kit. Finding an amp with 300W RMS bridged would be difficult. The EMA255 and GXA644SI are totally different, 1 is a 2 channel while the other is a 4 channel. If looking for 2 channels only, GXA622SI is the right choice : Better brand, Better RMS, Better Max Power. If price difference is not much, go for the GXA622SI.

For 4 channel, I dont think you'd get something better than GXA644SI at that price. You can search multiple sites to find a best price for your products.

Regarding high level input, almost all modern amps have this. If you are sure your installer can do this configuration easily, then you can save the cost of converter. I think GXA622SI also has a hi'-level input.

Or let me simplify it. Buy the sub from the above link. Buy the GXA644SI from Paytm. There you would get it for Rs. 4300 after some cashback offer (but that cash can be utilised on the Paytm site only I think). Wiring kit, I think Fusion would be best online. Boss wiring is also well known. You can pick the Fusion wiring kit for Rs. 990 from ebay.in but do ensure that it is a 4 channel one before buying. If you go with hi-level configuration, then no need of a converter. Total cost would come around Rs. 9500. If you go the converter route, then try sourcing or ordering the JBL converter from shops. Online it is available for Rs. 2500 on Snapdeal. Here it comes for just around 1000 bucks, so I think ordering from shops in your area by paying some advamce would be best. This way you would be able to negotiate the labor costs also.

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/jbl-high-to-low-audio/620578299967?tag=

PS. I have also had a GTX1200 in the past. I would say it performs great according to the price.

MODS- Please correctly paste the URLs if not already done.

Regards,
Nikunj

Top Bottom