Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXi (2010): Best ICE Options

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I have recently bought an used Swift - 2010 model ZXI variant. It comes with an in built music system with MP3, AM, FM and AUX support. No USB option. I like the look and feel of it but just want to improve the sound quality. Do I have to change the HU itself or I can just change the speakers to improve the quality. I have no idea on the max output for the current HU. Also, the current speakers are coaxial and they don't sound great... Please suggest how to improve the overall quality of sound.

> Your Car: Maruti Swift 2010 ZXI

> Budget Range: 5k - 8k

> Looking For (Full Setup, Head Unit etc.): Open to options (Budget quoted above is excluding HU)

> Preferred Brands (If any): Pls suggest the best ones

> Preferred Music Genre: Almost all kinds of music genre. Varies from Carnatic to Heavy Metal

> Existing Audio Setup: In built System with no USB Support

> Misc. Details / Specific Questions: As mentioned above

Regards,
Gani

I think the Nippon HU of the 2010 ZXI had 2 preouts. Considering your budget I would say don't plan for an HU upgrade and use that amount for other audio components. So within your budget or may be slightly over-budget here are some options.

1) Retain the rear coaxials as connected to HU. Get a 4-channel amp and front components. Reserve the rear channels of the amp for future upgradation for a subwoofer.
2) Front components + 6x9 Speakers at rear (It can be added later in place of the present rear coaxials and can be used for bass, considering no future addition of subwoofer) + 2 channel amp for front components. But if you look at the prices of 2-ch and 4-ch amps its not double but just higher by 1-2k in most of the cases. So it is wise to invest in a 4-ch amp if the budget permits.

Last edited:
Your budget is very low. You can purchase a 4 channel amp only. Power all 4 speakers with amp and you will get louder and clear sound at least from your existing speakers.
In future you can install better speakers when your pocket allows.

Last edited:
I think just good compos are the only option you have in this budget.

And it is also good to change the speakers first.

Do it in phases to make it easier for you as well.

BTW I am also doing in phases, recently started and installed Micro Precision 3 Series.

@VISHNUCARCRAZY:

Brother let me correct you here. The factory fitted speakers, no matter how good they may sound, should NEVER be powered via an external amplifier. This is because they get overpowered and fry. They are not much capable to handle high power like aftermarket speakers. My friend has burst (the cones) of all his New Swift speakers after connecting them to his Sony amplifier, within one week of usage. The speakers have very bad quality and can't handle the extra power that the amplifier plonks in.

@Gani:

Firstly, upgrade the front speakers to components from brands like JBL, Pioneer, etc. They should be around 4/5k if brought with bill/warranty. You can use this combination if you are satisfied with it. If not, then you can upgrade to better coaxials, like the JBL GTO series, which is well tried and tested. The coaxials would also cost around 4/5k, depending on the brand you choose. If still not satisfied, you can add an amplifier to power all the 4 speakers. I would advice you not to go for a subwoofer if you want SQ. Investing in good speakers and a capable amp can eliminate the need for a subwoofer. Upgrade in stages, so that you don't have to regret later and it would be financially more suitable.

Regarding the HU, you can upgrade the speakers without any alteration of the HU. If you are adding an amp also, then you will need to create pre-outs via a Choke/Converter (if your amplifier doesn't have high level inputs). If you are keen on getting a new HU, we are here to help you. [:)]

You will have to audition the speakers yourself before deciding though. From my experience, I felt the entry level brands to be more titled towards bass, especially Pioneer. Avoid Sony, if possible.

Actually i meant the front speakers,in Swift the power rating of the rear and front ones are different.
I am using Focal in front,Nippon given as stock is placed in rear,i didn't feel the Frys.

You mean that your amplifier is powering the stock ones also?

This is pretty new for me as my car ICE installation guy also said that you need upgraded speakers to amplify them, as they cannot handle the power the amplifier gives.

Gurus can confirm, though. I think my friend had used the speakers a bit too harshly, that led to the damage (I saw the damaged cone of the speakers and its quality felt very inferior as compared to aftermarket speakers)

Last edited:
I am keen on following this thread and the outcome. Looking at upgrading my Ritz speakers as well.

Front components to Polk, Focal or Infinity
Rear co axials to Rockford Fosgate.
HU stock. Maybe add an amp if budget permits.

Good deals available on Snapdeal. Just waiting for my bonus to come in. [lol]

My sounds was adjusted in amplifier by my friend who is a sound engineer based on the max ratings given,he did it quite wisely,though he scolded me for not installing 4 channel amp rather than 2 channel one-
My audio system included-
Sony XAV-68-BT
Focal -front
rear- Stock from front ones
subwoffer box-Rockford fosgate
Amp- JBL

@VISHNUCARCRAZY:

If you have the 2 Channel Amplifier, then it would be powering the front Focals. The rear coaxials that came as stock in your car, are powered by the HU. So, no worry of frying here. If they would have been powered by the amplifier, then I think they might have had same fate as my friend's car's speakers.

@Altocumulus:
How much is your budget for the speakers? Adding an amplifier will substantially increase the output of your components. In fact, components perform best when you feed them enough power with the amplifier.

My advise for all of you guys is to simply get good front compos.

Don't buy rear fills, invest the saved money in front compos.

Later go for good 4 channel amp, or get compos and amp simultaneously.

Before buying anything just audition diff. SQ setups around.

Last edited:
@VISHNUCARCRAZY:

If you have the 2 Channel Amplifier, then it would be powering the front Focals. The rear coaxials that came as stock in your car, are powered by the HU. So, no worry of frying here. If they would have been powered by the amplifier, then I think they might have had same fate as my friend's car's speakers.

@Altocumulus:
How much is your budget for the speakers? Adding an amplifier will substantially increase the output of your components. In fact, components perform best when you feed them enough power with the amplifier.
I am looking at 10k for the time being.

If you spend your time driving the car yourself (i.e. in the front seat), then you can skip the rear stage as of now. Upgrade the front speakers to components from the brands you have mentioned above. With the remaining money, you can add a basic 4 channel amplifier (from JBL, Pioneer. Preferably JBL) to power the front components. If you already have rear speakers, let them do their duty for now. If they are stock ones, then let them run off the HU, if aftermarket ones, then you can use the remaining channels of your amp to power them.

If you are not satisfied with the above upgrade (i.e. Amp + Comps), then you can upgrade the rear coaxials to some good 6x9 coaxials after some time, as the budget permits. My personal choice would be Focal. You must visit some ICE shops to audition the speakers before ordering them online.

If buying online, from Snapdeal, then I think you would be able to buy decent components and a 4 Channel amp for 10k. But, remember you must ensure that your amp has a hi-level input for getting connected to the HU (if company fitted). You can buy a decent wiring kit for around 2k. Although, some kits are cheaper, starting from 500/600 bucks, think about it as a one time investment and then proceed, it would make choice easier.

Top Bottom