ICE For Scorpio S10 7-Seater (Side Facing)

Thread Starter #1
Hi, advice needed from the Gurus to upgrade ICE in my vehicle.

Existing Stock Setup:- Nippon head unit, Speakers Front 6.5" & Rear 6" range maybe around 30-40 watt RMS from Onkyo. To be fair to Mahindra, the current setup is decent though basic and is more than enough for people who are just want to listen to Radio or other music at a low-mid level sound. But for those who want more,.... to listen to what the sound engineer at the recording studio wanted them to hear, then its time to upgrade.

Expected Setup:-
Retain the stock head unit as replacing it may hamper certain issues like navigation, etc and also face issues with ECU mapping.

Front speakers 6.5" component with a range of 40-100 watts RMS @ 4 ohm.

Rear speaker Coaxial 2-5 way 40-1000 watts RMS range @ 4 ohm. Not looking at putting speakers into boxes as it takes up space and also not in middle doors as provision not suitable due to placement or window glass movement,etc.
Option 1. 6" speakers to ready fit the slots at tailgate as no modification needed. Existing speaker grills can be retained.
Option 2. 6.5" speakers, a little modification of filing of existing slot or/and additional ring to be added. Grills need to be replaced with 6.5". Result better output than 6".
Option 3. 6"*9" More modifications needed, i.e. metal of tailgate to be cut to accommodate the speakers into the tailgate. Best output expected in this setup.

Amplifier
Option 1. prefer a 5 channel with range 40-100 watts RMS @ 4 ohm to suit the exact range of speakers, while the 5th channel required range would be 200-400 watts RMS for Subwoofer 4ohm Single voice coil.
Option 2. 4 channel AB class to power speakers and a mono D class to power the subwoofer. This option will cost more and will need more space to accommodate the 2 amps, but will result in the best audio output.
Option 3. 4 channel amp to power front & rear speakers and a powered subwoofer to save space. Costwise expensive than option 1, output of subwoofer will be less than option 1 & 2, while positive is you can save space.

Subwoofer in a enclosed box 200-400 watts @ 4 ohm single voice coil.

After visit to some after market shops noticed the following:-

Best to retain the nippon head unit as replacement will effect navigation, integration of controls of unit to steering wheel, mapping issues to ECU, etc. Big disadvantage was the stock head unit has no RCA output, so will not be able to have a audio setup with an amp that will power all 4 speakers and subwoofer. Left only with the following options:-
Option 1. Add a 4 channel amplifier to power the 4 speakers with no subwoofer.
Option 2. Add a 4 channel amplifier to power the front components and subwoofer, power the rear coaxials directly from the head unit. This option felt a better compromise.

Front speakers to be changed to components with size range 6.5" (no modifications needed as will fit stock slot provided in front door, and tweeter to be added on sail panel or on the A pillar) or with 6.75" size speakers (filling required at slot and a ring to added to accommodate 6.75"speakers).

Rear speakers coaxial with size range from 6" to 6.5" to 6.75" or even 6"*9".

Amplifier 4 channel.

Subwoofer in box to be placed in gap between the behind of middle row seat and 2 side facing seats at trunk.

Final choice of ICE upgrade setup excluding head unit after audition:-

Option 1. Budget Rs 22,000/- Rockford Fosgate setup.
Front Components:- RF Prime 1675-S 6.75" 40watts RMS @ 4ohm
Rear Coaxials:- RF Prime 1675 6.75" 45watts RMS @ 4ohm
Amplifier:- RF Prime 250.4 40watts RMS *4 @ 4ohm, 125watts *2 bridged @ 4ohm.
Subwoofer:- RF Prime R1S-412 12" size 125watts RMS @ 4ohm.

Option 2. Budget Rs 33,000/- Mixed Brands.
Front Components:- Morel Maximo 6.5" 90watts RMS @ 4ohm
Rear Coaxials:- Morel Maximo 6.5" 80watts RMS @ 4ohm
Amplifier:- RF Prime 250.4 40watts RMS *4 @ 4ohm, 125watts *2 bridged @ 4ohm.
Subwoofer:- RF prime R1S-412 12" size 125watts RMS @ 4ohm.

Option 3. Budget Rs 55,000/- Rainbow
Front Components:- Rainbow DLC 6.2 100watts RMS @ 4ohm 6.5" size
Rear Coaxials:- Rainboiw DLX 6.2 100watts RMS @ 4ohm 6.5" size
Amplifier:- Rainbow Beat 4. 100watts RMS *4 @ 4ohm, 300watts RMS *2 bridged @ 4ohm.
Subwoofer:- Rainbow DLS-12. 12" size 300watts RMS @ 4ohm.

Wiring Kit options:-

Option 1. Budget Rs 4,00/- Mixed Brands
Focal Wiring kit for amplifier
Focal RCA plus speaker wiring
Subwoofer Wiring

Option 2. Budget Rs 8,500/- AIV (It belongs to Rainbow brand)
AIV wiring kit.
RCA Cosmic
Speaker wiring
Subwoofer wiring.

Dampning:- 50%.

Option 1. Dynamat 4 sheets @ Rs 1200/sheet.

Option 2. STP 4 sheets @ Rs 900/sheet

Miscellaneous:-

Subwoofer Box:- Rs 2500/-
Ring for rear speakers:- Rs 450/-
High/Low Convertor:- Rockford Fosgate Rs 3,000/-

Request your inputs [confused]

Hi, advice needed from the Gurus to upgrade ICE in my vehicle. Request your inputs
Hi Rajan, Your own post have all the answers for the queries you have, no room for anyone to give suggestions![lol]. So have you installed the ICE in your Scorpio?. If yes, please post the pics for us who are eagerly waiting as you have mentioned some drool worthy audio options here [:)].

Thread Starter #3
ICE upgrade for New Generation Scorpio S10 7seater Side Facing.

Hi, I got the ICE upgrade,

Firstly after visiting some well known car accessories shops in Delhi from Noida, Lajpat Nagar, Karol Bagh to North Delhi, zeroed on Driven at Kailash Colony. Reason for choosing Driven was he has a good knowledge on car audios along with various brands and budget ranges, while others were mostly busy, and simply wanted me to get the vehicle first and rest they replied would fit the right ICE once they slice it, or simply asked what was budget range. What I liked about Driven was he asked me first what music I listen to more often and what was my expectation of sound quality. More important he gave me a patient hearing on the 4 occassions that I visited him to finalise on brand and budget.

My primary concern was a single brand for all parts and a good sound quality with a matching configuration of amp, speakers and sub. So had chosen Rainbow brand. Detailed description as follows:-

Amplifier:- Beat4 4*100 Watts RMS @4 ohms for Stereo and 2*150= 320 Watts RMS for Mono for Subwoofer. Rs 17,600/-
Front Speakers:- DLC 6.2, Component, 6.5", 100 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Rs 13,600/-
Rear Speakers:- DLX 6.2, Co Axial, 6.5", 80 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms. Rs 9,600/-
Subwoofer:- DLS12, 12", 350 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms, including a enclosure box of 0.75" MDF wood. Rs 12,000/-
Bull Audio High/Low Convertor. Rs 2,700/-
AIV Power Kit. Rs 2,700/-
AIV Cosmic RCA. 2QTY. Rs 2,500/-
AIV Cosmic 16 gauge wire for Speakers, Rs 200/meter @ 17 meters. Rs 3,400/-
AIV Cosmic 14 gauge wire for Subwoofer, Rs 500/meter @ 2meters. Rs 1,000/-
STP for damping, Rs 900/sheet @ 4.5. Rs 4,050/-
Rings for rear speakers. Rs 400/-
Total Cost Rs 69,550/-

Total time taken 6 hours to fit and another 2 visits for fine tuning the sound. Pics followed in detailed work wise posts.

Thread Starter #4
Scorpio at Driven for ICE upgrade.
Mukesh examines the vehicle first.
His toolbox.
Mukesh double checks the placement of amp under the driver seat.
Head Unit ready and looks very excited for the upgrade.
He then examines the wiring system beneath the bonnet.
This gentleman who actually handles the wheel alignment section was very helpful in our upgrade process.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Work started with the tailgate.
Tailgate with speakers and grill removed.
Detached 6" rear speakers and grills in close up.
Speaker mount being removed.
Close up.
Tailgate cleaned and dusted before damping sheets are pasted.
Tailgate with damping as well as damping done inside door frame.
Door fitted back with panel and extra rings being fixed to accommodate 6.5" speakers.
Ring in close up.
Stock speaker wiring replaced with 16 gauge AIV wire and a temporary Morel grill fitted for final finishing.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
Rear Speaker Set up.

Stock speaker.
Speaker wiring AIV16 gauge.
Speakers pack.
Close up.
Rainbow DL-X6, Co Axial, 6.5" size, 80 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms, rear speakers.
Stock vs Rainbow speaker comparison height wise.
Stock vs Rainbow speaker comparison size wise.

Attachments

Thread Starter #7
Front Speakers Set up.

Stock 6.5" speakers were simply replaced with Rainbow 6.5" speakers, while tweeters were added in the sail panel behind the OVRM'S mounts. Stock speaker wiring was replaced by AIV 16 gauge wire. Pictures follow:-

Left side front door with speaker slot visible in the bottom of panel.
Right side front door with panel removed.
Damping on door along with inside of door frame.
Rainbow Dl-C6.2 component speaker set with tweeter and crossover.

Attachments

Thread Starter #8
Amplifier Set up.

Rainbow Beat4 amplifier was used with the 2 front channels providing output of 100 Watts per channel connected to the front components and rear speakers as well. The other 2 channels were given as bridged set up for 320 watts rms output to power the 350 watts rms subwoofer. Placement was under the driver side. Pictures follow:-

Fuse.
Amp in box pack.
Price and other details of amp box.
Technical details of amp.
Rainbow Beat 4 amplifier.

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
Lastly am now waiting for the initial run in period for speakers and sub woofer of 20-30 hours, so that we can finally fine tune the system. Also waiting for the Rainbow grills for tailgate as currently out of stock, expected to arrive by march. Special thanks to the guys at Driven for a good set up.

Thread Starter #12
Suggestion required on whether it would be wise to add/install 4" speakers in the stock slots of scorpio above the rear window, to increase bass output as the round 6" speakers lag compared to 6*9".

Thread Starter #13
Any idea of the cost of Audison Bit Ten digital sound processor and also where to procure it from in Delhi.

Thread Starter #14
Further up gradation done on ICE:-

Mosconi Gladen 4to6 Equiliser cost Rs 27000

Dream 1+ amplifier 400w Rms @4 ohms. to power the subwoofer. cost Rs 17600

AIV Cosmic RCA kit cost Rs 2500

AIV power kit Rs 2700

Thanks to Gunbir and co to take out time to come down to Driven for fine tuning the system.

Attachments

Last edited:
hey Rajan Congratulations on the Ice Upgrade this car really needs one lol!!! made me feel really bad when I sat in my Friend's Swift Zdi and it had better sound than the Scorpio S10[anger], Sorry I recently bought a S10 4x4. I have pretty much upgraded most of the things that pinched my eye but am left with a few...now its time for the Sound to get upgraded. Now unlike you I don't want to put a subwoofer or an amp but, want to upgrade the Fronts with Polk Components and the rear with 6x9 instead of the round and in the door itself(My family is against box fitments) after damping. Now I need you suggestions on certain point if you don't mind.
1. How much of a difference in sound quality have you noticed after swapping the old ones with components?
2. Are your rear 6x9s on the sub woofer amp or direct from the HU? if Direct, then is there a sound difference there too? (Sorry for the repeat of question, but am trying to understand if the entire input of cost = to the return is sound[embarass])
3. Is the HU capable of producing enough effect to the speakers as they are each 100W rms input, I know i won't be able to get optimum sound out of them without an amp, but I really don't enjoy music anymore in the Scorpio and want to know if you know what is the HU's output per speaker?
Well I hope I haven't zapped you but I have been pondering over this since last 10 days and can't get proper suggestions without anyone suggesting to get an amp, so please do advice.
Thanks
Kanboy.

Top Bottom