Wiring Pioneer F60BT on a VW Vento / Polo

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a Pioneer F60BT today and got it installed through local accessory store, The installation was smooth and they used a harness and no cables were cut, but the behaviour of the head unit is strange for power.

It turns off as soon as i switch off my ignition. It also restarts when I turn on the engine. (being on on ACC on position)

It should turn off when I remove the key but turns off as soon as I switch off engine..

the power was taken from fusebox for the system. What should be done to bring back the normal behaviour like stock rcd320 system.

Please note that I had also ordered a CANBUS adapter for pioneer F60BT, it should arrive in few days. will this solve the issue? Please help I'm totally confused [confused]

Here is the current wiring through which power is being taken.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35189045/IMG_20141223_204942279.jpg

As per the Fuse Box layout it is 5A used for Climate Control unit.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35189045/Polo-6R-Fuses.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the current wiring through which power is being takenhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35189045/IMG_20141223_204942279.jpg

As per the Fuse Box layout it is 5A used for Climate Control unit.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35189045/Polo-6R-Fuses.pdf
Isn't the 5A is a bit on the lower side for an HU? [confused]. There is a 15A fuse shown in the fuse layout diagram i.e Fuse#45, dedicated for 'Multimedia system control unit/ Control​ unit​ with​ display​ for​ radio​ and​ navigation', (May be Stock RCD320?). Have you used this one for amplifier or some other purpose?. If not you can use this for your new HU I think. If that one is already used up, you can keep your key in each position (ACC, IGN) and find a spare fuse slot with same behavior as Fuse#45 using a multimeter.

PS: From the fuse layout I think what you currently used (5A) is Fuse#25 (Heater, Radiator fan control unit) not Fuse#22 (Climate control unit). In that case fuse is not getting blown/ the other things are not malfunctioning?

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for replying, I will get a fuse tap cable and try the configuration again. Actually the installer did the installation as the system wasn't turning off when ignition was in off position. (The RCD also did not used to turn off, but it had a 'power' key so i guess it should be ok) the pioneer one does not have any power key.

I will try seeing if it turns off after taking the key off ignition, Currently car is at the workshop for accident repair so can't try today.

PS: Even I was concerned about the fuse getting blown, but the installer installed another 10A fuse with the power line for the Head Unit and maximum current draw is 10A for the head unit.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
fuse #45 is not ideal as the system does not turn off even after removing key, this will definitely drain the battery. meanwhile i'm experimenting with other fuses lets see if it works out or not

fuse #45 is not ideal as the system does not turn off even after removing key, this will definitely drain the battery. meanwhile i'm experimenting with other fuses lets see if it works out or not
The HU need 2 power supplies, 1 for powering its RAM (which will be always ON) and one for powering up the HU itself. Please try the below setup, there are two dedicated fuses for HU in Polo. So if not Fuse#45, Fuse#60 must be the one which turns ON/OFF with the Key [:)]. Please keep us posted!

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
Hi, I checked the wiring on back of the head unit and got to know that the yellow cable is already connected to a power source and the red cable (spliced with green) was brought down to the fuse box. so it is just for informing the system to turn on or off. I guess after connecting CAN-Bus adapter I can connect the ignition cable (red/green) to inform about on/off position. I will post an update after getting CANBUS

Thread Starter #7
Finally after so many days the CANBUS adapter arrived.
although expensive at 4.8k Rs. its totally worth it. the need for ignition wire is eliminated and the head unit behaves like a stock unit. Steering controls are working and the unit starts up faster (probably it is turned on as soon as I unlock the car but without turning on the display)

Finally after so many days the CANBUS adapter arrived.
although expensive at 4.8k Rs. its totally worth it. the need for ignition wire is eliminated and the head unit behaves like a stock unit. Steering controls are working and the unit starts up faster (probably it is turned on as soon as I unlock the car but without turning on the display)
hi may i know from where you ordered the canbus adaptor

Thread Starter #9
hi may i know from where you ordered the canbus adaptor
I had actually ordered through the Accessories shop who also happens to be an authorized Pioneer re-seller. I was unable to find anyone selling it online in India, and the links which I found out were mostly EU sites. As I did not wanted to take chances with the compatibility I went ahead with local dealer. (Most probably he backordered online as it took >2weeks for the part to arrive)

Also FYI It has not affected warranty in any way the VCDS Diagnostics do not read any error after installation of the unit & the local authorized service center did not raised any warranty concerns after installing this unit.

Top Bottom