Audio / Video System For My Swift LXI

Thread Starter #1
Hello

I have a swift LXI (purchased on Jan 2014). I would like to fit a video system.
This is my first car & I dont have any idea about car audio/video systems.

I have done some research on the subject topic on Internet...& got confused.
My queries are listed below. Hope someone can help me in this.
1) What is the diff between 1 DIN & 2 DIN (LXI can fit 2DIN systems??)

My budget is in between 35000 - 40000 INR. (including main units/speakers/amplifier etc)
2) I am looking for a system with USB, Bluetooth & which can incorporate reverse camera/parking assistance...Please suggest some branded systems..& speakers
3) For GPS, do I need to buy GPS enabled video systems??
4) Also pls tell me, where all these speakers are going to be fitted?? (on all the 4 doors??)

(some questions, you may find funny...[:)])
Thanks
Praveen

Re: Audio/Video system for my Swift LXI

Hi pofpanacea. Welcome to the forum.

Here are the answers to your queries:

1) 1DIN system is smaller than 2DIN system, i.e. half of it in size. It is a rectangular system whereas a 2DIN would be much more like a 7" tablet. Lxi can easily fit 2DIN systems.

2) A 2DIN system would cost from ~7k (without touchscreen) and ~18k (with touchscreen). For USB, Aux, BT functionality, be ready to spend ~25k for the head unit. Your reverse cam can be integrated to the HU itself. For the rest of the 15k you have to spend, allot ~6k for the components (for front; they include 2 speakers and 2 tweeters) and ~4k for rear coaxials/speakers. A basic level subwoofer and amplifier would cost ~3.5k each, so it may exceed the budget. Thus, you can leave amplifier and sub for the time being and add it later on.

3) I haven't used GPS enabled units regularly yet, so can't comment.

4) Front speakers will go into doors, tweeters would be mounted on the dashboard corners (since Lxi has manual adjustable ORVM's knob on the inner part of the ORVM, where there is place to mount tweeter in upper variants). For rear speakers, you can fit them on rear doors or parcel tray, as you wish. I would recommend rear doors as parcel tray starts vibrating with time.

Cheers.

Thread Starter #3

Hello Ritzzxi,

Thanks for your inputs.

Regarding Point 2) Can you pls suggest some good brands for HU (would like to go for touch screen with BT,USB,Aux)
I prefer to have an Amplifier , Component speakers (front & Rear) & Sub woofer which is at par with the HU...So pls suggest for these also.

(Now I dont mind spending little extra...For me it's one time & best at first time[:)])

Thanks
Praveen

Regarding Point 2) Can you pls suggest some good brands for HU (would like to go for touch screen with BT,USB,Aux)
I prefer to have an Amplifier , Component speakers (front & Rear) & Sub woofer which is at par with the HU...So pls suggest for these also.
Now, I'm just listing your requirements under a budget of 40k, stretchable to some extent.

-2DIN HU (with USB, Aux, DVD, Touchscreen, Bluetooth upto 26k)
-Front Components (6" from a reputable brand upto 7k)
-Rear Coaxials (6"X9" from a reputable brand upto 4k)
-Subwoofer (12" from a reputable brand, preferably with enclosure upto 6k)
-Amplifier (4 Channel from a reputable brand upto 6k)
-Wiring Kits and Cables, Damping (upto 6k)

For HU, I have personally used Pioneer touchscreens only and I'm very much satisfied with the performance. I would suggest Pioneer and you should avoid Sony (for poorer output) and JVC (from personal experience). Browsing through online sites, I chanced upon this deal, which would help you a lot:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pio...310_311&utm_medium=11242094&vendorCode=5c3237

Front components include 2 speakers and 2 tweeters. JBL is a trusted and tried brand out in the market. Pioneer is also recommended but JBL would sound better in most cases. Kenwood, Morel, Infinity, JL and other brands would be costlier but come with mind-boggling hearing experience. Avoid Sony.

I have used Pioneer coaxials in the past and was happy with the bass output. The SQ wasn't great at more than average volumes as the sound was jarring and cracking. The model no. was TSA932. You can go with JBL, Pioneer as brands like Kenwood, Morel, Cerwin Vega, Infinity will be costly and you'd be at the driver's seat (so front output matters more).

Entry level subwoofer would cost 3.5k roughly in the grey market from brands like JBL and Pioneer. In my locality, every 7 out of 10 cars (with subs) have a JBL sub. The output is acceptable and it would cost around 3k online. Powerbass, RF, Kicker and other brands would be costly. If the woofer comes with factory-fitted enclosure, it would be better as the dimensions would be perfect. Otherwise, an enclosure would cost upto 1k. Avoid brands like Soundbarrier. If installing from aftermarket/grey market, be ware of fake products. My friend got some 'Raja Woofer' instead of the promised JBL for 4k![lol]

For amplifier, you can hook up your subwoofer to a mono amp to make it a Monster of a sub! Cost would be 7-8k and upwards. Or, you can go for a 4 Ch Amplifier and bridge two channels to the front components and rest two to the subwoofer. 4 Ch Amp would cost from around 5k and Pioneer/JBL amp would be okay. Avoid Sony and Soundbarrier.

In the market, you would also get JBL BassPro12 Subwoofer, which comes with an inbuilt amplifier. It would cost around 12k and this way, you won't have to get the amplifier separately. Audition it and decide if you like it. I personally thought that getting a separate amp and sub would be cheaper and better as amp can be bridged to speakers also.

You should go for high quality cables since you are going for a decent audio setup. I have used Monster cables in the past and they are reliable. There are many kits available online also. Since the windows of the Swift are ultra-thin and outside noise filters through easily, I would suggest to get damping done (many DIY threads also available) at the time of install to the front doors at least. Cost would be around 3-4k, I suppose, though not sure. Do audition the speakers and the entire setup before finalising!

Don't go for Components for front as well as rear, because I think it would mess up the sound stage. Comps provide enough bass and a subwoofer on top of that would be a bass overkill. Stay with 4/6" speakers or 6X9 Coaxials, though I prefer coaxials.

(Now I dont mind spending little extra...For me it's one time & best at first time[:)])
We both have similar thinking! Last month, I went out for buying an LED TV with 40k budget but ended up spending a 1 Lac Rupee TV! Best at the first time!

Last edited:

Top Bottom