Polk DB401 / Sony GTF 10382 / Pioneer 414 or G1043R

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

need to replace the front speakers on my preowned Wagon R 2008 VXI. The speakers in the dash right now are Sony and they buzz when the drum beats are played. I am not too much of a fan of loud beating music but these buzz even on normal hindi oldies. The dash accepts only 4" speakers and my mechanic told me that the JBL speakers touch the grille, so he cannot install them. I found the stock speakers are with tweeters that project about 6mm above the mounting cone. With that in mind, I am not sure which will fit. An online dealer has confirmed that Polk have 6.3mm projection of the tweeter, so its quite likely these will fit. I also like their robust specification but I would like to understand the others as they are much cheaper. Can someone tell me about these Sony and Pioneer speakers?

Ameyam

Hi,

need to replace the front speakers on my preowned Wagon R 2008 VXI. The speakers in the dash right now are Sony and they buzz when the drum beats are played. I am not too much of a fan of loud beating music but these buzz even on normal hindi oldies. The dash accepts only 4" speakers and my mechanic told me that the JBL speakers touch the grille, so he cannot install them. I found the stock speakers are with tweeters that project about 6mm above the mounting cone. With that in mind, I am not sure which will fit. An online dealer has confirmed that Polk have 6.3mm projection of the tweeter, so its quite likely these will fit. I also like their robust specification but I would like to understand the others as they are much cheaper. Can someone tell me about these Sony and Pioneer speakers?

Ameyam
any professional installer can modify your door panel to fit those jbl speakers.
i am not sure how it can be a hindrance.
as for choice between pioneer or sony. i would prefer pioneer.

Thread Starter #4
Thats the point. This is the older Wagon R that didnt have door speakers, just dash speakers. If I wanted to install the speakers in the door, I could have gone that way. But I dont want to modify the door, it will affect the resale value. To be very frank, based on the driving I did today, the existing dash speakers work just fine except when the percussion kicks in.

How about Polk- are they better than Pioneer? The sticky at the top of the forum lists them in the 15k budget class. I can get them at a lower cost because I am just replacing the fronts

Associated question, I incidently posted on another thread, should I get the door deadening done and who can do it for me around Dadar / Matunga area?

Ameyam

Thats the point. This is the older Wagon R that didnt have door speakers, just dash speakers. If I wanted to install the speakers in the door, I could have gone that way. But I dont want to modify the door, it will affect the resale value. To be very frank, based on the driving I did today, the existing dash speakers work just fine except when the percussion kicks in.

How about Polk- are they better than Pioneer? The sticky at the top of the forum lists them in the 15k budget class. I can get them at a lower cost because I am just replacing the fronts

Associated question, I incidently posted on another thread, should I get the door deadening done and who can do it for me around Dadar / Matunga area?

Ameyam
go to opera house.
any installer there could give you a fix.
i dont think you need sound deadening if there arent any speakers on the door.

Installing the speakers in door doesn't affect resale value at all. Believe me buddy. Get pioneer head unit and jbl speaker combo.

Thread Starter #7
I did replace the HU on the car. The old one was skipping on CDs and didn't have a USB port. I picked up a 3690ui for a bargain price and it works very well. I couldnt find anyone who could confirm that the JBL speakers would fit under the dash speaker grille whereas the Polk were confirmed to fit. Also, I checked user reviews on Crutchfield and Amazon and the JBL, Pioneer and Polk units were closely matched. But I couldnt find anything about the Sony. So I took a deep breath and ordered the Polk speakers. they have come in today, not sure when I can get the guy to install them. Once they install, I will update this thread

Ameyam

Thread Starter #8
The polk db401 speakers work very well. Bright & clear snd handle a decent amount of bass. Its no disco but really nice. Personally i dont listen to loud music anyway but on a modern disco number i was able to use all the bass boost, bass equiliser setting & loudness at high at sufficient volume to make passers-by look! That too without distortion. Required to grind one mounting brace off to fit the grille but that too was no big deal. And they are still to break-inb Highly recommended.

[clap]Well done.
A suggestion: - try to keep your speakers clean and dust free, dust particles( specially sand) can reduce the performance in long run.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Those pics were taken in the dark with flash, so any dust there is just exaggerated. They are quite clean. The car dashboard panel isint though and there is really no way to clean it. This is a preowned car so not much can be done. Those are marine rated speakers by the way, so they are suitable for outdoor installations, quite hardy

Ameyam

Top Bottom