Wagon-R Audio System Upgrade Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hello People.
I am new to this community and a layman in terms of audio components so please help me improve in this area. I own a Maruti Suzuki Wagon R Vxi that came with a custom fit Nippon HU and i think Kenwood speakers(not sure about make and type of speakers).
For past one year I enjoyed the quality of music that came with the custom audio system however recently I have developed a taste for music with a little extra bass and very small audio frequencies which I can enjoy on a pair of earphones but not in the car system. Hence I am looking for a system upgrade.
I have a budget of INR 15000. I would really be glad if I can get that extra bass by just installing good quality speakers with a decent amplifier. If required I can go for a subwoofer enclosure too but not a bass tube as I think it might consume lot of boot space. Also advise on the position of speakers as the default position of speakers is in all 4 doors.
Also advise if the Nippon HU would be capable enough to drive the subwoofer with an amp or the HU needs an upgrade. A point here is that I do not want to change the HU as I really like the look and grace that it provides to the front panel.

I apologise for so many questions or if I forgot to mention any specific detail. Would really appreciate all the help that I can get.

Regards.

Re: Wagon R audio system upgrade advice

Hi Vinny

Welcome to TAI You can go for a 2 Channel sony or Pioneer amplifier with 400W Jbl speakers in the Back and 230W JBL speakers in the front this will solve your purpose also as you said correctly if you go for BASS tube it will consume a lot of Boot space but they are detacable so if you want to keep luggage you can simply remove the tube and fit it when you need it. Secondly if you dont wish to go for the bass tube go for tray speakers are the give the best effects as compared to door speakers in the back. I hope your queries are solved

hi, i am also a wagon r owner
The door mount speakers are only for stock low rms speakers,
If u want 100% clarity , dont i stall i doors, mainly i wagon R doors have huge hollow spaces where will create unwanted vibration
My advice is
Go for a custom wooden speaker box mounted instead of that fiber pad which you keep things beneath rear seat's, it will not acquire boot space.
Install two pioneer or jbl co axial speakers with two channel amp , remove connection fro. Rear door,
Then in front door install some dymamat or dampmat, then component speakers from jbl with crossovers with two channel amp, this will be shout to rock your floor's
Else four channel amp for all four speakers will do,
Dont keep volume more than 20 in nippon head unit
Will create distortion. Instead increase gain from amplifier

Last edited:
hi vinny1008 ! if you are satisfied with SQ and need only bass then you can install a good subwoofer with amp. If want to improve SQ also then you can upgrade to better coaxial at rear or components at front. It is better to install rear speakers on parcel tray for good SQ.[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
Re: Wagon R audio system upgrade advice

Hi Vinny

Welcome to TAI You can go for a 2 Channel sony or Pioneer amplifier with 400W Jbl speakers in the Back and 230W JBL speakers in the front this will solve your purpose
Hi Konkantrip.

Thanks for the reply. I think I might like to stay with the custom HU (definitely) and speakers (might change if don't find any option) and go for an amp and subwoofer only.

Will it give enough sound clarity?

Thread Starter #8
yoscenario2000

Read your Ownership review. First off, you made a good deal to get the Blue-eyed Tall Boy. Found the mods that you made to the car pretty good.

You said you added Sony Amp and sub to the stock speakers and had a good sound. Below are my options that I plan to go ahead with if you guys recommend it is a good investment.

Stock Nippon HU and Speakers with

Amp: Sony - Xplod - XM-N1004 - 4 Channel Bridgeable Amplifier (1000 W) for INR 5200

OR

Blaupunkt - GTA 470 SF - 4 Channel Amplifier (840 W) for INR 7800

Subwoofer: Sony - XS-GTX121LC - In Car Compact Box Subwoofer for INR 5800

OR

JBL - CS1215B - 12 inch Subwoofer Box Enclosure (1100 W) for INR 6490.

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards

yoscenario2000

Read your Ownership review. First off, you made a good deal to get the Blue-eyed Tall Boy. Found the mods that you made to the car pretty good.

You said you added Sony Amp and sub to the stock speakers and had a good sound. Below are my options that I plan to go ahead with if you guys recommend it is a good investment.

Amp: Sony - Xplod - XM-N1004 - 4 Channel Bridgeable Amplifier (1000 W) for INR 5200

OR

OR

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards
If you want to run only subwoofer with amplifier then why you going for 4 channel amplifier you can also opt for 2 ch or mono amplifier instead of 4 channel amp if you want to run only subwoofer [:)]

Thread Starter #10
If you want to run only subwoofer with amplifier then why you going for 4 channel amplifier you can also opt for 2 ch or mono amplifier instead of 4 channel amp if you want to run only subwoofer [:)]
Hey Sam.
I thought if after this upgrade I still dont like the sound, basically the SQ Level then I might go for a change of speakers as well. Wont that require an amp to run the compos or coaxal speakers later.

If I thought wrong, then kindly advise.

Regards.

Hey Sam.
I thought if after this upgrade I still dont like the sound, basically the SQ Level then I might go for a change of speakers as well. Wont that require an amp to run the compos or coaxal speakers later.

Regards.
pretty nice thought buddy then go on but don't go for sony's amp and woofer, I will suggest you to go for JBL 4CH amplifier with JBL 1100 Subwoofer and I am sure that you will never disappointed with the output from the both of the devices [cheers]

Hey Sam.

Regards.
try to get demo for SQ check before buying if possible. If you are using stock speakers then i am sure you will definitely upgrade speakers in near future. 4 channel amp is good idea considering future speaker upgrade in mind. keep one thing in mind for future upgrade your amp should be powerful enough to support atleast two components with subwoofer you are buying.

yoscenario2000

OR

OR

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards

IMO,

JBL would be a good choice if budget is not a constraint.

You could also try a shallow tray-type subwoofer, have heard these in the past and they are impressive for their size.

Surely some other member would be more experienced with these,

Before adding speakers view my thread
It was done on my wagon R

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/17519-detailed-guide-door-damping-diy-all-must-know-before-diy-new-post.html

Will be useful before you do something.
thanks

Top Bottom