Help Selecting Speakers For the Ritz

Thread Starter #1
I have a Pioneer MVH-X169UI head unit(Pioneer - MVH-X169UI - Car Stereo - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com).I need to buy speakers to go with this.I'm not planning on buying an amp.The max budget for the speakers is 6k-7k(The lower the better).I've been looking at a few components for the front.

Infinity reference:Infinity - Reference 6500cx - 2-Way Component Speaker (270 W) [Pair Of Speakers] - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Infinity primus:Infinity - PR6500CS - 6.5'' Two Way Car Audio Component Loudspeaker (Pair Of Speakers) - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Would there be a difference between the primus and the reference speakers since I will not be using an amp?All specifications seem to be same except power rating.I will not be cranking up the volume too much.Please do recommend any other speakers in the same price range.Also could anyone recommend me a pair of rear speakers to go this.I will be installing them in the door itself.
Thanks.

I have a Pioneer MVH-X169UI head unit(Pioneer - MVH-X169UI - Car Stereo - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com).I need to buy speakers to go with this.I'm not planning on buying an amp.The max budget for the speakers is 6k-7k(The lower the better).I've been looking at a few components for the front.

Infinity reference:Infinity - Reference 6500cx - 2-Way Component Speaker (270 W) [Pair Of Speakers] - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Infinity primus:Infinity - PR6500CS - 6.5'' Two Way Car Audio Component Loudspeaker (Pair Of Speakers) - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com

Would there be a difference between the primus and the reference speakers since I will not be using an amp?All specifications seem to be same except power rating.I will not be cranking up the volume too much.Please do recommend any other speakers in the same price range.Also could anyone recommend me a pair of rear speakers to go this.I will be installing them in the door itself.
Thanks.
The infinity reference should be better. But I think both are overpowered for use without an amp, the head unit will barely power them up! You should look at something like the JBL CS6, Pioneer A635 or JVC CS V628. If you want components go for Pioneer TS G624C.

I would suggest components in the front and coaxials in the back. Just make sure the tweeters from the front components are pointing towards the listener!

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I did have a look at the Pioneer TS G624C.However the tweeters seem to be peizo tweeters without a crossover network.Would it affect performance?Are there any other affordable components available?
Thanks.

Thanks for the reply! I did have a look at the Pioneer TS G624C.However the tweeters seem to be peizo tweeters without a crossover network.Would it affect performance?Are there any other affordable components available?
Thanks.
Not that I know of. It has a passive crossover, which is actually quite a tried-and-true setup so I wouldn't worry too much.

You could also look at the JBL CS6, slightly more expensive though.

@sandstorm,

Check JVC or JBL coaxial for rear and front round JBL/SONY which produce a good quality sound. I have the same setup on my Ritz and I am happy with them

Those speakers are only suitable for use with an amp. The head unit alone will not be able to get the most out of them.

That polk speaker is only 60w rms each. while pioneer a635 is 50w rms. 10 rms is not going to make that much difference. But i can assure you that polk is going to sound 10 times better then all others with amp or without.

videos
I highly doubt there will be a significant difference between the DB651 and A635 in the same setup, especially since he's just using a HU. The polk will surely perform better when it has an amp that can actually power it properly.

Those 3 videos don't seem to be a good comparison. I plugged in some good headphones and turned up the volume, it is easy to tell that the polk systems are both set up in a balanced way while the pioneer's owner is just trying to overpower with bass.

Also, the Pioneers shown are 4-way, I know you will agree that 4-ways are pretty pathetic. [;)]

It feels like I am android user and you are apple.
I have listened to 4 different brand speakers at a single time connected to 4 of my doors and listened to all of them with the same song playing and polk is the king. It sounds too audible and too soothing one would love to hear it.

Anyhow that video was not to show how pioneer speakers are. they are definitely not that bad. I was just showing that without an amp and without Hi pass low pass filtering how speakers sounds when you increase volume above some extent and that is why amp is needed. it increases the speaker life too.

Just for a curiosity , try to listen to polk / focal / helix speakers somewhere and tell me if you dont like them.

I'm not questioning your test, but the performance of the speakers depends massively on the type of input it is paired with. Polk will definitely have shone through with an amp because that is what it was designed for. But a HU alone will not be able to power it up sufficiently and the audio will lack punch.

Audio filtering is useful only if your audio system consists of separate components for each freq. range eg. Tweeters, low-mid woofer and subwoofer. But if the system is coaxial speakers only, filtering is unnecessary.

An amp is usually not necessary for listening to songs while driving, considering you should be aware of your surroundings as well. Also, the higher output of the amp will actually reduce speaker life significantly.

I have tried Rockford and Focal speakers with both amp and non-amp setups. Without the amp it was obvious that the HU was barely powering them up, sound quality was compromised.

Top Bottom