ICE Suggestion Needed For New SWIFT

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends ,
I recently bought a new swift vdi . Thought of installing a decent ICE as the car would be frequently used for long trips . I have got the following configuration and prices from a dealer in Pondicherry .

1) Pioneer AVH-1690 - 14.5k

2)JBL GTX 646 800W - 8k

3)Front Infinty Primus 6500CS 320W(peak), 80W(rms) -5.5k

4)Rear 6x9 JBL GTO-949 400W(peak) ,100w(rms)- 4.5 k
everything is with B/W.

Am I priced Correct ? Is the Amplifier really Needed .?
How will the Setup sound without the amplifier ?
and please help me with Damping . I have No idea about Damping .

Thanks in ADVANCE

Hi ksuresh92. Congrats on your new Swift!

I am not sure about the pricing and other members would be able to advice better on that front. Regarding your amplifier query, I would like to clear that an amplifier is not necessary for an ICE setup without a subwoofer. Since you are not getting a subwoofer in your ICE setup, an Amplifier is not necessary. You can opt out of choosing an amplifier if you are on a tight budget. Else, the amplifier will surely make a lot of difference in the sound quality of your system and would be money-well-spent!

If you are looking for a factory-fit look, you can also opt for Swift Zxi/Zdi or Dzire Vxi/Vdi ICE setup from any Maruti dealership. Dzire's ICE setup has good bass and is slightly above what you'd expect from an OEM unit.

Take your pick and decide only after having a complete demo of the setup.

Regarding damping, there are DIYs and related threads on damping in the forum as well as on the internet. You will certainly feel the difference in the amount of noise filtering into the cabin. You will have to set aside ~6k for damping, BTW.

Personal advice: Do not go in for Sony head units as I found them to be inferior as compared to other brands in the market. Also, if not of extreme priority, give up the idea of a subwoofer as the already small boot will lose space further with the addition of the subwoofer. And the fact that your car will be used for long runs further justifies my idea.

Punto8090.

Hello friends ,
I recently bought a new swift vdi . Thought of installing a decent ICE as the car would be frequently used for long trips . I have got the following configuration and prices from a dealer in Pondicherry .

1) Pioneer AVH-1690 - 14.5k

2)JBL GTX 646 800W - 8k

3)Front Infinty Primus 6500CS 320W(peak), 80W(rms) -5.5k

4)Rear 6x9 JBL GTO-949 400W(peak) ,100w(rms)- 4.5 k
everything is with B/W.

Am I priced Correct ? Is the Amplifier really Needed .?
How will the Setup sound without the amplifier ?
and please help me with Damping . I have No idea about Damping .

Thanks in ADVANCE
If you're going to be listening to music while driving, I am sure the head unit will be sufficient. It provides sufficient output as long as you're not deaf! The amp will increase sound quality, but I don't think it's suitable for your usage. Also you may want to save that space in the back for carrying luggage on your trips!

As far as speakers are concerned, don't overbuy them. Go for speakers which have an RMS output around 5-10W higher than your Head Unit RMS output for best results.

Do you want complete damping or just for the speakers?

That HU is very slow and irritating. touch is not at all good. But pioneer HUs are good at sound and thats why i bought 2690bt. though be careful while installation. dont install RCA cables to HU or amp while car ignition is on , which is indeed bad habit of all installers , because pioneer HUs are known to get its pico fuse blown easily and you will suffer from humming sound.

Go for polk>focal>Helix>Hertz>morel>rockford punch>infinty speakers if you like music.
polk is best.
I dont believe in JBL/pioneer/sony etc. bad experiences in the past.

Subwoofer is absolutely definitely needed. buy good stuff one by one. Its not one time deal.

Last edited:
Bad experiences with JBL, Pioneer and Sony? First time I'm hearing of this, I would like to know more.

Subwoofer should only be a last resort if he can't get enough bass from the speaker + amp setup. Remember, he doesn't want to unnecessarily sacrifice practicality since he needs his car for long drives.

It will be hard for anyone to read this , but it might be interesting how unnoticed we waste money.

I am insulting myself here for my stupidity in past. though everyone goes from that phase.
I had started with pioneer HU and pioneer component and speakers 3 years back in my old car. I was new to ICE , just wanted a music system that is loud , cheap.
So i bought pioneer oval speakers seeing its overrated wattage like some 460 watts each. bought pioneer components too. and separate set of pioneer tweeters. Tweeters worked for 15 days and then started producing weird sounds got it removed. For components , tweeters were too harsh , to high pitch sound no clarity , it was damaging my ears and brain cells directly. got that tweeters disconnected too.
then i bought sony subwoofer. lol that subwoofer was a joke to the bass. I dont know what stupid frequencies it was playing. Bought JBL GTO 4 channel amplifier it is still in my car and i love that amp. it never gets heated how long you play it and since 2 years not a single problem. but what an amp sony monoblock was? Just play for half and hour and amp was boiling , it switches off for safety and starts again when amps cool down. sold it off and bought JBL GTO 7001 monoblock one of the best.
Then i sold pioneer HU and bought Sony double din MP3 HU. Only it looks good ,not satisfied with its sound quality cause pioneer HUs are far better in sounding.
By this time what happened to those pioneer speakers. front speakers were ok without tweeters but rear speakers , oh they were 460 watts. i felt like everyday it was loosing 1 watt. and now they were sounding like 60 watt speaker. How loud you increase the volume they are not going to play. Arghhh that was one arrogant speaker. As i hate arrogance , component i sold off to my friend and I left those speakers for free to whom my old car was sold. I didnt care to ask whether he kept those speakers or crushed it.
Then i bought infinity sub , sounds good and still there in my car. i bought Helix e6x speakers , they sounds really good. I dont know why helix didnt get that fame. then i bought hertz speakers for front door , they sound good too , but not like helix though. Then i bought pioneer AVH 2690bt HU. I know their software is not good but their sound output has always been better. Then Rockford punch p3D212 woofer. Best thing in whole setup. it can give you a back massage literally. LOL what was that stupid sony subwoofer comparing to rockford. Then rockford punch p152s components fitted in rear plank. they are good unlike those worthless pioneer components.

I have heard most of the brands. My friends having full JBL setup. It aint promising. You will only know the difference when you have heard them all. Initially i was thinking i have awesome music system which eventually faded down.
Ya what happened to those pioneer comps i sold to my friend. they are almost gone like those ovals. he is planning to trash it off and to buy rockford punch or power series speakers. he has pioneer sub that too deteriorating. he is tired of it just feeling like why all those trash is there in his car.

I dont have polk or focal in my setup , but i have listened to them and they sounded better then all others , so i prefer it to others. There are brands like morel / cerwin wega etc people gives good review about but i didnt have much experience about it.

So i am not anti-pioneer, sony, jbl etc. as i have pioneer HU and 2 jbl amps. but their speakers and subwoofers are not worth wasting money. Sony nothing is good that i can guarantee you.
If someone was there to advice me 3 years back , i would not have wasted my precious money over those worthless products.
So buy step by step , but buy good.

@ksuresh92
If you are concerned about space then buy slim subwoofers like rockford R2SD212 or similar. Dont let speakers play lot of bass. Set hi pass and low pass filters for that in amps or your speakers life gonna get decreased and sound quality will reduced too cause speakers cant handle that many frequencies at one time.
If you do so , when song hits the bass your vocals will diminish for that period and then it will increase again. it happens most of the time in ampless setups.

Last edited:
It will be hard for anyone to read this , but it might be interesting how unnoticed we waste money.

I am insulting myself here for my stupidity in past. though everyone goes from that phase.
I had started with pioneer HU and pioneer component and speakers 3 years back in my old car. I was new to ICE , just wanted a music system that is loud , cheap.
So i bought pioneer oval speakers seeing its overrated wattage like some 460 watts each. bought pioneer components too. and separate set of pioneer tweeters. Tweeters worked for 15 days and then started producing weird sounds got it removed. For components , tweeters were too harsh , to high pitch sound no clarity , it was damaging my ears and brain cells directly. got that tweeters disconnected too.
then i bought sony subwoofer. lol that subwoofer was a joke to the bass. I dont know what stupid frequencies it was playing. Bought JBL GTO 4 channel amplifier it is still in my car and i love that amp. it never gets heated how long you play it and since 2 years not a single problem. but what an amp sony monoblock was? Just play for half and hour and amp was boiling , it switches off for safety and starts again when amps cool down. sold it off and bought JBL GTO 7001 monoblock one of the best.
Then i sold pioneer HU and bought Sony double din MP3 HU. Only it looks good ,not satisfied with its sound quality cause pioneer HUs are far better in sounding.
By this time what happened to those pioneer speakers. front speakers were ok without tweeters but rear speakers , oh they were 460 watts. i felt like everyday it was loosing 1 watt. and now they were sounding like 60 watt speaker. How loud you increase the volume they are not going to play. Arghhh that was one arrogant speaker. As i hate arrogance , component i sold off to my friend and I left those speakers for free to whom my old car was sold. I didnt care to ask whether he kept those speakers or crushed it.
Then i bought infinity sub , sounds good and still there in my car. i bought Helix e6x speakers , they sounds really good. I dont know why helix didnt get that fame. then i bought hertz speakers for front door , they sound good too , but not like helix though. Then i bought pioneer AVH 2690bt HU. I know their software is not good but their sound output has always been better. Then Rockford punch p3D212 woofer. Best thing in whole setup. it can give you a back massage literally. LOL what was that stupid sony subwoofer comparing to rockford. Then rockford punch p152s components fitted in rear plank. they are good unlike those worthless pioneer components.

I have heard most of the brands. My friends having full JBL setup. It aint promising. You will only know the difference when you have heard them all. Initially i was thinking i have awesome music system which eventually faded down.
Ya what happened to those pioneer comps i sold to my friend. they are almost gone like those ovals. he is planning to trash it off and to buy rockford punch or power series speakers. he has pioneer sub that too deteriorating. he is tired of it just feeling like why all those trash is there in his car.

I dont have polk or focal in my setup , but i have listened to them and they sounded better then all others , so i prefer it to others. There are brands like morel / cerwin wega etc people gives good review about but i didnt have much experience about it.

So i am not anti-pioneer, sony, jbl etc. as i have pioneer HU and 2 jbl amps. but their speakers and subwoofers are not worth wasting money. Sony nothing is good that i can guarantee you.
If someone was there to advice me 3 years back , i would not have wasted my precious money over those worthless products.
So buy step by step , but buy good.
Wow, very thorough, haven't heard similar experiences from anyone before but I trust you.

I agree that Sony HU's are rubbish actually.

Are you sure you weren't overpowering those rear Pioneer speakers? It seems to have shown all the classic symptoms.

This is what happens when you expect already cheap speakers to produce bass

video
These look like 4-way speakers, which are well known for their massive distortion and poor quality. I'm not saying that 2- or 3-ways will be perfect, but even I have known them to be better than this if you set them up just right.

I didnt have that much power in my amplifier to overpower it. They were 80 rms per speaker and my amp was producing 100 , for which i kept gain half way initially almost similar to speaker rms , and at the end even though I put gain at full , speakers were gone.
Pioneer was once a very good company for speakers and subwoofers , their some old products are being sold off at higher price currently.

are you sure you weren't overpowering those rear Pioneer speakers? It seems to have shown all the classic symptoms. It look like 4-way speakers, which are well known for their massive distortion and poor quality. I'm not saying that 2- or 3-ways will be perfect, but even I have known them to be better than this if you set them up just right.
Exactly , The setting on amp, HU can create huge difference in sound quality. At the time of purchase one should aware of the capability of amp, sub,speakers and HU and their compatibility with each other. Otherwise even a very costly setup will not be able to perform well.

I didnt have that much power in my amplifier to overpower it. They were 80 rms per speaker and my amp was producing 100 , for which i kept gain half way initially almost similar to speaker rms , and at the end even though I put gain at full , speakers were gone.
Pioneer was once a very good company for speakers and subwoofers , their some old products are being sold off at higher price currently.
Gain is not a measure of output after amplification, it is a measure of the power output added. This means you would have been adding in excess of 60W to the output of the HU and sending it to the speakers.

Definitely a case of overpowering. This would explain why your other speakers were also failing

Thread Starter #14
Thank You guys ,,

I have installed the setup and auditioned it ,And the HU is a little laggy . But that is ok.[:)] It sounded really good in the front seats, good bass and balanced audio from all sides . But while sitting in the rear seats , The sound from the front component seems it not adequate .

It seems the sound is from the rear only . Should I change any setting in the amplifier regarding this issue ?

@Viru
Thank you ,
The speakers are directly mounted on the doors and causes the ORVM and the door to vibrate during high beats . Does damping the speakers avoid that ?
Or should we use any mounting before we attach the speakers n doors ?

@neil.vernafluidic
The bass seems adequate now . There is no idea of installing a sub now .. But I may do It in future . Definitely I will go for those rockfords [:D]

Thread Starter #15
Thank You guys ,,

I have installed the setup and auditioned it ,And the HU is a little laggy . But that is ok.[:)] It sounded really good in the front seats, good bass and balanced audio from all sides . But while sitting in the rear seats , The sound from the front component seems it not adequate .

It seems the sound is from the rear only . Should I change any setting in the amplifier regarding this issue ?

@Viru
Thank you ,
The speakers are directly mounted on the doors and causes the ORVM and the door to vibrate during high beats . Does damping the speakers avoid that ?
Or should we use any mounting before we attach the speakers n doors ?

@neil.vernafluidic
The bass seems adequate now . There is no idea of installing a sub now .. But I may do It in future . Definitely I will go for those rockfords [:D]

Top Bottom