Advice On Upgrading Stock Head Unit in Honda Amaze

Thread Starter #1
Hello people,

I joined this community newly, hoping to get some answers to many questions that I have.

Recently, I booked a Honda Amaze Diesel (S-MT - Silver). Yet to receive though. I absolutely loved the car. The paint job, dashboard plastic, fit and finish are all gorgeous. But the only one thing I hate is the stock head unit. It is very plain and doesn't go well with the car itself. Below is a picture:
http://motoroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-Honda-Brio-Amaze-Compact-Sedan-2-DIN-Stereo.jpg

So, I thought of dumping it and installing a better touch screen head unit.

I have a few queries that I need answers for, so here goes:
1. Out in the market, can the stock head unit be exchanged for a new touch screen one? Honda dealerships in Bangalore said that's not an option.
2. I'm planning to get the Sony XAV-601BT:
XAV-601BT : Mobile Display : Xplod™ In Car Visual : Sony India
Sony - XAV 601BT - 6.1'' Touch Panel Monitor - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com
Does it fit the existing slot in the car? Or will I require to do some modification to the dash? Also, please feel free to suggest head units if you know of any other with better specs. My budget is Rs.25000 tops. I need Bluetooth, USB and Aux. CD/DVD slot not a must.
3. Can I connect the stock speakers directly to this head unit? Or do I need to purchase amplifier? By the way, there are 4 speakers.
4. This model has an input for Steering mounted audio controls. But is says that an additional adapter might be required. Please guide me on what adapter is required and where to purchase it in Bangalore.
5. Slightly off topic - If I get rear view camera installed, does it make sense to install parking sensors as well?

Hoping to get in depth information on the above points.

Regards,
Ram

Hello people,

I joined this community newly, hoping to get some answers to many questions that I have.

Recently, I booked a Honda Amaze Diesel (S-MT - Silver). Yet to receive though. I absolutely loved the car. The paint job, dashboard plastic, fit and finish are all gorgeous. But the only one thing I hate is the stock head unit. It is very plain and doesn't go well with the car itself. Below is a picture:
http://motoroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-Honda-Brio-Amaze-Compact-Sedan-2-DIN-Stereo.jpg

1. Out in the market, can the stock head unit be exchanged for a new touch screen one? Honda dealerships in Bangalore said that's not an option.
Does it fit the existing slot in the car? Or will I require to do some modification to the dash? Also, please feel free to suggest head units if you know of any other with better specs. My budget is Rs.25000 tops. I need Bluetooth, USB and Aux. CD/DVD slot not a must.
3. Can I connect the stock speakers directly to this head unit? Or do I need to purchase amplifier? By the way, there are 4 speakers.
4. This model has an input for Steering mounted audio controls. But is says that an additional adapter might be required. Please guide me on what adapter is required and where to purchase it in Bangalore.
5. Slightly off topic - If I get rear view camera installed, does it make sense to install parking sensors as well?

Regards,
Ram
Hello thejasvi, heartiest congratulations for your new Amaze.
Do you plan to change only the Hu or are looking for a complete setup. Regarding the Hu, I'd suggest you look at options outside Sony as they are not the best when comes to ICE. You can have a look at Pioneer 1490 DVD touch screen HU. Also, have a look at Kenwood DDX418.

Yes you can directly connect the OE speaker to the HU though o/p shall be mediocre. The steering mounted control adapters are usually sold separately and make sure you buy the exact match else it doesn't work.

If you are planning for a reverse cam then I don't feel the need for sensors. But if you are new to driving (or to a sedan) then you may opt for them as well.

Thread Starter #4
Hi freakdude,

Thank you for your valuable inputs.
At present my budget allows me to upgrade only the head unit. Probably I'll look into amp, sub and speakers later, not now.
I did see the models that you have specified, but they didn't quite have that many features as the Sony XAV 601BT, hence had not considered them. The main feature of the Sony which I liked is the MirrorLink, which allows me to hook my phone to the stereo unit and enjoy shared display. So no need of a separate navigation unit. (I have a Sony Xperia Z btw.)
But now since you have pointed out that they are better brands, will give them a thought again.
I'll make sure to search for the exact match of the steering wheel adapter. Thanks. Does anyone know where I can find the adapter in Bangalore?

One more thing:
I've been reading a lot that Honda voids warranty if an aftermarket head unit is installed. It's completely ridiculous to believe. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, all my plans of upgrading the head unit goes waste. I'll have to stick on to the mediocre looking head unit of the Honda Amaze [anger]

Hi freakdude,

Thank you for your valuable inputs.
At present my budget allows me to upgrade only the head unit. Probably I'll look into amp, sub and speakers later, not now.
I did see the models that you have specified, but they didn't quite have that many features as the Sony XAV 601BT, hence had not considered them. The main feature of the Sony which I liked is the MirrorLink, which allows me to hook my phone to the stereo unit and enjoy shared display. So no need of a separate navigation unit. (I have a Sony Xperia Z btw.)
But now since you have pointed out that they are better brands, will give them a thought again.
I'll make sure to search for the exact match of the steering wheel adapter. Thanks. Does anyone know where I can find the adapter in Bangalore?

One more thing:
I've been reading a lot that Honda voids warranty if an aftermarket head unit is installed. It's completely ridiculous to believe. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, all my plans of upgrading the head unit goes waste. I'll have to stick on to the mediocre looking head unit of the Honda Amaze [anger]
Buddy, just a friendly suggestion, don't go for Sony ONLY due to a few bling features. I know the mirror feature is just too cool, but the main task of any HU is to play and produce music and Sony fails miserably in that department.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks. Yeah I'm looking at other alternatives. How about jvc? Heard some good things about it.
Also where can I purchase the steering wheel adapter? Is it easily available in the usual accessories stores? or should I buy it somewhere online?
Hope I'll not need to cut wires for installation of aftermarket hu. Otherwise there might be warranty issues. Please advice.

Thanks. Yeah I'm looking at other alternatives. How about jvc? Heard some good things about it.
Also where can I purchase the steering wheel adapter? Is it easily available in the usual accessories stores? or should I buy it somewhere online?
Hope I'll not need to cut wires for installation of aftermarket hu. Otherwise there might be warranty issues. Please advice.
JVC has some nice HUs, what models are you considering?
In bangalore you may approach EVO for any ICE needs(Address: 1st Main Rd, Cambridge Layout, Jogupalya, Bangalore, KA 560008, India
Phone:+91 98 45 376094, got from Google).

Thread Starter #8
JVC has some nice HUs, what models are you considering?
In bangalore you may approach EVO for any ICE needs(Address: 1st Main Rd, Cambridge Layout, Jogupalya, Bangalore, KA 560008, India
Phone:+91 98 45 376094, got from Google).
Hey thanks for referring the place in Bangalore. Will give him a call once I get the car. (Yeah, I'm doing all this research even before getting the car. How desperate of me! [;)])
As for the head unit, I'm looking at JVC model - KW AV70BT. It looks like a good unit, but personally I'm not a big fan of 7" screens. They lack a physical vol +/- dial and direct DVD slot. I don't like the idea of the DVD slot hidden behind the panel and the panel mechanically lifting itself to take the DVD in. But that's just me.
If there's a good 6" screen with physical volume dial, that would be best, otherwise I think I'll order this model. Because it really looks cool.

@ All -
I have purchased Honda Amaze E-MT iDtec and would like to know if we have any place in chennai to do some slight modification in terms of LED Light fittings and Spolier. Please advise as I am interested in revamping my car.

Hello people,

Regards,
Ram
Hi Ram,

Did you buy audio system , Even iam from Bangalore , need your advice.

Wishes for your new cars.
Here are my few advises.
1. First find for the harness which gos into your OEM harness. Incase if you don’t find one then run separate power and speaker wires.
2. You can think of amp later since the HU is capable of driving the OEM speakers very well.
3. Try couple of stores for the faceia to meet your taste. As a last option you can try hand made MDF faceia.
4. You may require canbus steering wheal control interface. Note you have to cut your OEM canbus wires incase if you don’t get the compatible harness.
5. Keep an eye on the installer since most of them don’t know what they are doing.
And finally keep posting.

can someone help me get an audio system for my Honda Amaze , it should be able to play almost all the video format and compatible with iphone 5 & 4s .
Bluetooth is a must.[cry]

Hello people,

Regards,
Ram
Hi Ram,

Now, Honda dealers themselves are recommending this unit as an option before purchasing the vehicle.
CASKA INDIA
The homepage says that it has rear parking camera, sensors, bluetooth, Navigation and compatible with streering mounted audio controls. In fact, it is specially designed for Brio and Amaze. And the dealer said this unit is Honda approved!! So have a look at it if not already purchased.

I would strongly recommend you to install Android system from HDCARS. It is fantastic including GPS, blue Tooth, touch controls etc etc. Plus it has WiFi and full surfing capabilities. Full fledge DVD and comes with rear view cam.

Hi All,

don't do the mistake which i did by buying Caska system.
Its now more then a year & my issues are not solved .
I lost lot of money & even upgraded the system , lost around 65K + amount & fights are going on.

Caska system are inferior then Rs 3000 worth system .[frustration]

If someone stays in Bangalore , i can meet & show them the issue or even forward mails which are going from more then 1 year.

Instead donate the money to some charitable trust ,instead of buying these system !!! or buy any brand of your choice .

or beeter go for Local made Rs 1000 system

Top Bottom