Buzzing / Whine in Thunderbolt XUV 500 JBL 4 Channel Amp

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Everyone,
After much thought, I have installed JBL 4 channel AMP in my XUV 500. However since day 1, I am having the dreaded Buzzing/Whine Problem

Here is the amp-
JBL : Support - GTX-646 - GT-X646

The Amp is installed to HU RCA out ( ITS A NIGHTMARE TO INSTALL> PLEASE LET ME SHOUT IT OUT!)

However, ANY speakers connected to AMP out has buzzing sound That is constant. It does not change with volume or speed of vehicle. Its also Same with vehicle OFF so its not alternator whine.
Please help me folks, Already had a hard time getting one installed and now this problem!

Thanks.

Re: Buzzing/Whine in Thunderbolt XUV 500 JBL 4 channel amp

The buzzing sound may be due to the following points:
1. Some sort of carbon/grease in the RCA connectors
Clean the RCA connector and the socket
Disconnect the RCA cable and see if there is any humming. Then check the AMP using your mobile phone.
2. Some electric signal interference
Which brand RCA cable are you using. Try to route the wire through different location.(away from electrical wiring or fusebox etc)
3. Placing of the Amplifier (though it may not be the reaon)
Where have you placed the AMP
4. Improper power supply to the AMP
This happened once when I installed an AMP in a Santro. There was a humming noise.
I installed a normal 35V capacitor and the problem was solved. Also you can check the earthing. Connect a wire from the Amp body to the vehicle body.

BTW why connecting the AMP to the HU is a nightmare ??

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member

The buzzing sound may be due to the following points:
1. Some sort of carbon/grease in the RCA connectors
Clean the RCA connector and the socket
Disconnect the RCA cable and see if there is any humming. Then check the AMP using your mobile phone.
2. Some electric signal interference
Which brand RCA cable are you using. Try to route the wire through different location.(away from electrical wiring or fusebox etc)
3. Placing of the Amplifier (though it may not be the reaon)
Where have you placed the AMP
4. Improper power supply to the AMP
This happened once when I installed an AMP in a Santro. There was a humming noise.
I installed a normal 35V capacitor and the problem was solved. Also you can check the earthing. Connect a wire from the Amp body to the vehicle body.

BTW why connecting the AMP to the HU is a nightmare ??
Dear shantanu,
Thanks for the input.
1)Yes the connection is clean and there is no Grease.

2)There is no Buzzing after disconnection and sound through the Mobile is clean

3) Re-Routing etc is the very last resort as opening the HU is some crime to XUV 500. If you can follow up my XUV 500 THUNDERBOLT ownership thread, you will find that to reach the HU, too many complicated panels need to be removed, over 200 wires disconnected, and Many plastic parts have danger of breaking or cracking. I an NOT doing that anytime soon.

4)I don't know the brand of RCA cable but it costed me 1200.

5) AMp is placed under the driver seat. Moving it around has no difference.

6) Installing 35v capacitor, I have that in mind. I will also try to take a long wire to ground battery terminal directly.

7) any ideas on Ground Loop isolators?
Thanks for all insight.

Hats off to you for connecting RCA to the stock HU. As I read in the ownership review, there's a small fan in the audio system the fan may be causing electrical interference. Try to re-route the wire to the left side (from behind the glove box) make sure that the wire is not near any control module(ECM or some circuit box) and place the amp under the passenger seat.

BTW: Why the yellow strip is fixed on the driver side headlight ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hats off to you for connecting RCA to the stock HU. As I read in the ownership review, there's a small fan in the audio system the fan may be causing electrical interference. Try to re-route the wire to the left side (from behind the glove box) make sure that the wire is not near any control module(ECM or some circuit box) and place the amp under the passenger seat.

BTW: Why the yellow strip is fixed on the driver side headlight ?
Thank you for the speedy reply!
[cry]
It still means opening the Dashboard somehow. [frustration]
You were spot on about the fan! The sound of fan seems similar to the AMp whine!
Shall I not invest in a Ground loop isolator then?

The yellow strip is Stupid Gujrat Headlight laws.

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Friends,
I had a visit to service center and tried 2 things

1) Disconnecting the body ground and running a DIRECT wire from Amp Ground/Negative to Battery Negative-- NO AVAIL

2) Open the Dashboard and try new, external RCA cable from HU directly to AMP. you can see in pics that cable was laid externally for testing and was'nt touching anything electrical.-- NO AVAIL

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/images/smilies/11.gif

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/images/smilies/7.gif

Attachments

Are you routing the power cable and the RCAs from the same side? If yes then this is causing the interference. Route the two from separate sides and see if this solves the issue.

Thread Starter #8

bhvm

Honoured Member
Are you routing the power cable and the RCAs from the same side? If yes then this is causing the interference. Route the two from separate sides and see if this solves the issue.
Opend the Dashboard and try new, external RCA cable from HU directly to AMP. you can see in pics that cable was laid externally for testing and was'nt touching anything electrical.-- NO AVAIL

Sorry man.

In that case please share details about :
1. What brand RCAs, power cable and speaker cable are you using?
2. What power rating power cables are of?
3. Are you using and hi-low convertor?
4. Do you have aftermarket horns installed?

Thread Starter #10

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. What brand RCAs, power cable and speaker cable are you using?
Tried one Local and one MonsterCables. Power and speaker wires were specified as "Kicker"
2. What power rating power cables are of?
8 Gauge, 40Amp.
3. Are you using and hi-low convertor?
No. Factory RCA outputs only
4. Do you have aftermarket horns installed?
Have NOT installed Horns/Spot lights/Bumpers/Seat covers/DRLs/Screens/Inverter/Any relays etc
Vehicle is stock as much as possible.

Currently, The AMP is switched to Woofer mode (Low pass) and there is no buzz. Buzz is present in High pass or Flat modes only.
Using 2x 6.5 inch woofers which give decent bass. Factory speakers for vocals.
Thank you for the time!

Last edited:
Avoid keeping the amp flat. It's supposed to power sub or capable drivers. I don't thing the stock speakers could handle that much power. Play around with HPF and LPF settings and reduce the gains on the channels that are powering the speakers.

Thread Starter #12

bhvm

Honoured Member
Avoid keeping the amp flat. It's supposed to power sub or capable drivers. I don't thing the stock speakers could handle that much power. Play around with HPF and LPF settings and reduce the gains on the channels that are powering the speakers.
The amp is placed on Carpet and not touching anything metal. No screws were drilled to fix it.

There is NO role about stock speakers with this amp. Infact i've never opened door panels.
It currently powers 6.5 inch Custom made WOOFERS, set to LPF.
However, I did plan to use 6x9s (Boxed) in rear via this amp. but alas due to this buzzing [frustration][cry]

Thread Starter #14

bhvm

Honoured Member
You have got your speakers MADE?? Please share the details about them.
I am preparing a write up for it.
They are 2x 6.5 inch woofers from Cabridge soundworks. Had them lying around for a long time. Boxes Costed 1500, Unpainted. They fit under Middle row seats and are mostly invisible. Bass in ample and deep. Finally I something that I can listen to!

I am preparing a write up for it.
They are 2x 6.5 inch woofers from Cabridge soundworks. Had them lying around for a long time. Boxes Costed 1500, Unpainted. They fit under Middle row seats and are mostly invisible. Bass in ample and deep. Finally I something that I can listen to!
Are you talking of bass shakers??? Can you post some pics please, sounds very interesting.

Top Bottom