Help me..i20 Petrol or Figo Diesel (Bought Honda Jazz!)

Thread Starter #1
Guys...i just joined TAI heard a lot about this forum. hoping to have a wnderful interaction with all you learned people and auto maniacs..[clap]

My first query. looking to buy a hatch ASAPs have zeroed down to i 20 magna or Figo titanium diesel.cost difference of 45 k betwen the 2. figo costlier by 45k. but has ABS airbags and the diesel advantage.my daily running is nodoubt less, will do max of 500k in a month unless i go on a holiday.but with the rising cost of petrol i guess i should be be able to make good and break even in about 3 years latest. am royally confused as to what to do!!! Also concerned about Ford's not so good reputation. what about magna's steering rattle issues![surprise]
have taken a test drive of both the cars. am generally satisfied with the ride quality, its approximately all right.
what do u guys suggest?please bail me out.

Re: Help me..i20 Petrol or Figo Diesel

I would suggest you to go for Ford Figo diesel. When you will get the car, eventually your running will increase. Further more, the rattle issue with the 2011 i20 is still unknown. Atleast none from our forum has reported rattles from new cars. So my take, Ford Figo.

with a monthly running of 500 km, i doesnt make sense buying a diesel car.

if abs & airbags are a concern, u can try the petrol figo titanium, which would be lighter on the pocket too.

with a monthly running of 500 km, i doesnt make sense buying a diesel car.

if abs & airbags are a concern, u can try the petrol figo titanium, which would be lighter on the pocket too.

Agree with the above note. If you do expect your running to go above 1000 km and you do intend to keep your car beyond 5 year, only then diesel car may make sense.

If you are looking at Petrol- why not other cars like Polo, Liva?

My first query. looking to buy a hatch ASAPs have zeroed down to i20 magna or Figo titanium diesel.cost difference of 45 k betwen the 2. figo costlier by 45k. but has ABS airbags and the diesel advantage.my daily running is nodoubt less, will do max of 500k in a month unless i go on a holiday.
Considering all your inputs, I would opt for the Figo Titanium diesel. Not accounting only for the operating cost/fuel cost, but you get the safety features from Figo and on top of that there is no reason why figo will not feel as comfortable as the i20!!
. Sooner or later the monthly running will go considerably up if you love driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

really don't know why people are running behind diesel so much . If you are not going to drive much then petrol make more sense as i sad earlier save your 1 lac and use it for fuel and You can run your car for atleast 3years if you say max. you will go 500KM in a month as well as maintenance of petrol is less and easy

about i20 its completely luck game some don't get steering rattle some don't . like i own 2 I10 but non have steering rattle till now

not only the initial investment in buying a diesel car, but also the maintenance cost & technical issues involved are a problem with the diesel car.

the joy of driving the richer fuel is incomparable with diesel.

Last edited:

I would strongly suggest you go ahead with a Petrol car if your running is not going to increase greatly after your purchase. True you save lots of money when re-fuelling your tank but don't forget you are also paying more initially. In your case it will be more than 5 years i think for you to reach the break even point. Petrol cars are also cheaper to maintain and comparitively trouble free after around 5 years.

Think wise , from financial point of view Petrol is the good option for you but if you have made your mind for diesel then go ahead with Figo Titanium.

Thread Starter #9

Gentlemen
thanks for the quick suggestions!
one small clarification since the cars i was confused with were Figo diesel titanium and i 20 magna/sports, the price difference would have been about 45k only. as regards the other issues, yes even i feel so, my daily run to office is onbly about 7 km!! so i am in Office in about 25 mins only!cars not heated up enough!weekend outings to suburbs in mumbai etc is the time wherein i guess running will be more, everything should amount to 500 km monthly. i know petrol does make better driving pleasure and is quiter too. was almost behind buying an i 20 only. the only spacious other half-hatch was a dzire inspite of its funny stylin! no offence meant to any user. then i took a TD of a Figo diesel and found it VFM, though not as plush as i 20 but not bad too. the cause of worry was with such limited running the diesel engine shouldnt under perform! its like buying a Dell alienware laptop and surfing the net only!!![surprise]
i am slowly bending towards i 20 Magna, only wish there was ABS on it!!
else will have to dig deep in my pockets and buy an Asta!
else will have to leave my heart aside and buy a Dzire with my head
god......i m in deep deep confusion!!![anger]

Last edited by a moderator:

not only the initial investment in buying a diesel car, but also the maintenance cost & technical issues involved are a problem with the diesel car.

the joy of driving the richer fuel is incomparable with diesel.
Who says petrol is a richer fuel than diesel? It is just the additional tax which govt levies on Diesel cars which makes them expensive. In engine tech diesel engines are never behind petrol ones and sometimes even outsmart them.

For me cars are intended to drive not to occupy parking space.
As on today here in Pune costs are like below.
Petrol approx 70 per Liter / Diesel approx 44 per liter.
Considering tintin_marines’s post he need to spend 45k more for Figo.
[please note I do not have intention to start petrol /diesel war] Now real time calculation part.
FE
I20 near about 15KMPL / Figo near about 20KMPL
If he drives 6k in a year. Expenditure on fuel will be.

28k for petrol / 13k for diesel.

He can retrieve 15K in a year so as 45K in three years.
Above calculation gives breakeven point in three years.
More the drive lesser the equilibrium.

Considering the safety features as added advantage; my choice will be any day Diesel Figo.

350Z

Core Team

Tintin, if you can elaborate the requirements then perhaps we can recommend you more options that are suitable. Please visit this thread and answer the simple questions. About the Petrol vs Diesel debate, I think it has been clarified well in this thread already. At the end of the day, the ultimate choice depends upon you and your requirements. Good luck.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Who says petrol is a richer fuel than diesel? It is just the additional tax which govt levies on Diesel cars which makes them expensive.
i said petrol is a richer fuel. isnt it?? im not discussing anything about the engine technologies or anything, its jus about fuel diesel vs petrol

In engine tech diesel engines are never behind petrol ones and sometimes even outsmart them
regarding technologies latest diesel engines performance is comparable to their petrol counterparts. they are no less than the petrol engines

For me cars are intended to drive not to occupy parking space.
As on today here in Pune costs are like below.
Petrol approx 70 per Liter / Diesel approx 44 per liter.
Considering tintin_marines’s post he need to spend 45k more for Figo.
[please note I do not have intention to start petrol /diesel war] Now real time calculation part.
FE
I20 near about 15KMPL / Figo near about 20KMPL
If he drives 6k in a year. Expenditure on fuel will be.

28k for petrol / 13k for diesel.

He can retrieve 15K in a year so as 45K in three years.
Above calculation gives breakeven point in three years.
More the drive lesser the equilibrium.

Considering the safety features as added advantage; my choice will be any day Diesel Figo.

Your calculation looks mouthwatering but Figo can never give 20kmpl inside city! Our member's driving is going to well within the city most of the times so the FE of i20 should be 12-13kmpl and Figo 15-16kmpl max!

@ Tintin If possible extend your budget and go for i20 Asta. For your minimal driving it should serve you really well for many years.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15

Your calculation looks mouthwatering but Figo can never give 20kmpl inside city! Our member's driving is going to well within the city most of the times so the FE of i20 should be 12-13kmpl and Figo 15-16kmpl max!

@ Tintin If possible extend your budget and go for i20 Asta. For your minimal driving it should serve you really well for many years.
@cooldhaya
right said...trying to stretch my budget, lets see.else will havetomake do with magna only.[lol]
workin out my options now.have taken acompany loan, so the amount is already fixed by now.have to delve deepinto my pockets now!i wish ABS could be fitted as an option!!or...Liva was slightly better looking!the best part about Liva is its catchy commercial tune![cheers]
what is the FE of petrol Polo?any first hand info from any member?

Top Bottom