Heart Over Mind: Hyundai i20 or Volkswagen Polo? (Booked i20)

Thread Starter #1
guys wanted to book fiat punto 90hp from last 5 months back, started thread long back, mods please remove my old thread & due to personal problm, i coudn't book.. now i have change my plan. due to resale value and reputation of fiat india aint working with tata jv.[frustration]. i stil love punto very much, when you ll get succeeded i ll buy your punto and bravo :smile:

my using period of car is 3years. my fly had planned to book hyundai i20 sports diesel loaded model..

folks can you plz tel me about i20 sports, pros & cons

sales service is good here in belgaum..

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: heart over mind.. i20 or vw polo.

i20, good and premium hatch.

pros

-> features
-> inspiring interior
-> urban exterior
-> powerful CRdi
-> Good steering for city
-> Decent comfort and space
-> FE

cons

-> not the best reliable car / not totally trouble free like the i10 ( i always hear owners complaining about some prob)
-> highway behavior
-> not the best drivers car(compared to german and italian competitors)
-> slightly overpriced (hatch for that price?? i would rather go for a sedan which holds more prestige)

Thread Starter #3

i always hear owners complaining about some prob)
-> highway behavior

Decent comfort and space
please let me know about what?? decent space, i fell good & comparable for 3 seats??

Last edited:

please let me know about what?? decent space, i fell good & comparable for 3 seats??
i meant good space for a hatch back.. [:)]

Two of my friend own i20 , i will ask them the exact problem and let you know, but they keep on complaining. One of them upgraded from a swift, and he is not at all satisfied with the driving part , though he likes the interiors and luxuries feel of the i20.

PS: im not criticizing your decision , i just want to help you by what i know.

Jeno[cheers]

Thread Starter #5

i meant good space for a hatch back
oh i dunked[;)] so sorry today.

please share me evrythink, decision taken it from my mind, and my family likes my decision.

i meant good space for a hatch back [:)]

oh i dunked[;)] so sorry today

please share me evrythink, decision taken it from my mind. and my family likes my decision.[/QUOTE]

If you can wait for a week, i will do a full review of i20 with my friends car.

And depends on the way of your approach towards car.
Why you want a car? you can get different answers like:
"For my family" Spacious
"To go to office" Easy to drive in city
"TO drive" Good handling,good power
"To Race" FE is not a big matter, excess power
"To sit at the back seat" Non driver nature cars like corolla. (best rear bench comfort)

If you answer this correctly, you will end up with the right decision
Jeno[cheers]

Thread Starter #7

jeno_turbo;85120]i meant good space for a hatch back

If you can wait for a week, i will do a full review of i20 with my friends car.

And depends on the way of your approach towards car.
Why you want a car? you can get different answers like:
"For my family" Spacious
"To go to office" Easy to drive in city
"TO drive" Good handling,good power
"To Race" FE is not a big matter, excess power
"To sit at the back seat" Non driver nature cars like corolla. (best rear bench comfort)

If you answer this correctly, you will end up with the right decision
Jeno[cheers]
#yes for me and my family.
#driving pleasure.
# FE.. yup need it these days . due to petrol hike[;)]
and please let me know everything i ll wait for you & its pleasure..
thanking you advance..

#yup for me and my family.
#driving pleasure.
# FE yup need it these days . due to petrol hike[;)]
and please let me know everything i ll wait for you & its pleasure..
thanking you advance
And where do you use it mostly? city or highways?
And whats the average speed you cruise in highway??
And do you like to be the king of the road while driving(fastest or aggressive), if yes,in city or highway?

Jeno[cheers]

If you compare both i20 and Polo , i20 makes more of a VFM purchase but Polo has that solid build quality and driving pleasure of a German. Polo's maintenance cost is more than i20. BTW which variant you are considering in Polo?

My friend has an i20 Asta Petrol and i have driven it few times. Like Jeno said handling not the best at highways , best used inside city due to the light steering. Due to the soft suspension setup in all Hyundai cars i20 wont be confidence inspiring beyond 120-130kmph. Space is good enough at the rear for average built people but tall and bulky people will find it cramped. Front seats are really good though even for tall people! Since you have confidence with your local Hyundai dealer you wont be having any issues.

But beware of the classic steering rattle issue and poor AC in i20 , i have seen many people complaining both Petrol as well as Diesel. Apart from this i20 is a really good car. I would also like to know what other issues Jeno's friends faced.

guys wanted to book fiat punto 90hp from last 5 months back, started thread long back, mods please remove my old thread & due to personal problm, i coudn't book.. now i have change my plan. due to resale value and reputation of fiat india aint working with tata jv.[frustration]. i stil love punto very much, when you ll get succeeded i ll buy your punto and bravo :smile:

my using period of car is 3years..my fly had planned to book hyundai i20 sports diesel loaded model..

folks can you plz tel me about i20 sports, pros & cons

sales service is good here in belgaum..
Could you please not use SMS language with too many full stops or dots?

And I would vote for the Polo 1.6 Petrol. Provided that you dont have an issue with the fuel efficiency of that petrol mill. Its an absolute driver's car unlike the Korean offering.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
And where do you use it mostly? city or highways?
And whats the average speed you cruise in highway??
And do you like to be the king of the road while driving(fastest or aggressive), if yes,in city or highway?

Jeno
less in city, i mostly use it in highways & my average speed is around 120 to 140

Could you please not use SMS language with too many full stops or dots?

And I would vote for the Polo 1.6 Petrol. Provided that you dont have an issue with the fuel efficiency of that petrol mill. Its an absolute driver's car unlike the Korean offering.
ok jalex and thanks for informing me.

polo petrol is not in my list as far there is no dealer in our city, i have to clock 100 kms from my city for service.

BTW which variant you are considering in Polo
polo high line diesel which will cost me around 8.53 lacks & dealer service center is far away from my city i have to clock 100kms & i20 sports diesel cost me 8.14 lacks

[/QUOTE]But beware of the classic steering rattle issue and poor AC in i20 , i have seen many people complaining both Petrol as well as Diesel. Apart from this i20 is a really good car. I would also like to know what other issues Jeno's friends faced[/QUOTE]

same question asked dealer about steering rattle issues and poor AC, he said as far they din got any issues. i don't know weather he lied me or pulling my legs.[surprise]

ok jalex and thanks for informing me.

polo petrol is not in my list as far there is no dealer in our city, i have to clock 100 kms from my city for service.
The Polo only needs a service every 15,000 Kms or a year. You'll have to travel 200 Kms for service in 15000Kms or a year. I dont think it's much of a problem.

Plus they have a facility to pick up the car, if you have a breakdown or crash. The charges for transit by a car breakdown carrier is I believe 20 rupees for a kilometer. They dont tow the car, But lift and carry it on a flat bed truck.

And do you think any dealer would say anything negative about something he has on sale?

Re: Heart over mind, Hyundai i20 or VW Polo?

Well if you driving is much on the highways then i would suggest Polo itself because its solidly built and handles better at high speeds. As Jalex said service interval is once in a year so i think it should not be a problem atleast for the first 3 years.

And yeah do you think anybody will accept the negatives of their car? i20 suffers from steering rattle and its AC is pathetic during hot summers , complained by many owners!

Having a service center near you is not a big advantage. Though you have to take a bus/taxi to get back home. Some facts about a diesel cars.

->Its recommended to drive continuously for 50-100 km after service(oil,oil filter and diesel filter changed)
->Dont switch on the AC before the engine attains its optimal temperature
->Dont switch off the engine after some aggressive driving, allow it to idle for atleast 60secs(atleast while the passengers are getting down keep it idling)
->If your are going to rev hard, switch off the AC, use the blower.

But most of them dont drive for 50-100 km after service. If you have no other choice, its a good thing . [:-)]

And Jalex was right, Polo needs to be serviced only for 15k kms (except the first three services). I just realized why German cars have high maintenance cost though they are extremely reliable??? !! Answer was service intervals. Most of the diesel cars needs servicing between 5-7.5k , but in case of Skoda and VW its 15-20k .So if the service is even double, its a good deal.

@Cooldhaya , What is the service interval of your Verna???

Jeno[cheers]

Polo needs to be serviced only for 15k kms (except the first three services).

Jeno[cheers]
Are you sure? For the Polo Petrol even the very first service is at 15,000kms or a year. Does the diesel version have a different service interval?

Top Bottom