What Bike To Buy For Performance Cruising!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

i presently own a RE classic 350 ( ATOM) which i have modified to my taste. which i like the most and have been around with him for most of the places.

however when it comes to performance riding RE doesnt stand a chance why?? let me justify

One who Sprints cannot win Marathons. so lets keep it at that. long riding i will be using RE whatever it is. but there are few places i want to ride in the quickest time, or lets say i want to do a few biking records. There are might be many like me who want to own Big Boys Toys however can get it.

1. May be due to Financial constraints
2. May be too scared that i might damage and i cant bear the damage of repair so i stay away
3. May be Married[:D] ( you guys know what i mean)
4. Miscelleneous other reasons.

now lets say i keep all this aside except a part of financial constraint aside.

in a Used market whats the best bike that my money can Buy me which has high mile munching capacity in good time, low on maintenance ( Pocket friendly), Looks as well as safe.

I have made some shortlists

1. KTM RC 390- Used comes at a budget of 1.5-1.8
2. HONDA CBR 250 R comes at a Budget of 1-1.2
3. Hyosung GTR 650 Comes At a price of 2.75-3.3
4. Yamaha YZFR3 comes at a price of 3-3.3
5. Harley street 750 comes at a price of 3.75-4.0

which do you guys say is a sensible buy and why?? and if i have missed out on any other brand which is in the same price bracket.

Last edited:
I think a CBR 250 should be a no brainer if you are looking for a comfortable and reliable bike which is also pocket friendly.

As you need the bike to be a mile muncher, CBR can easily cruise at 100 - 110 for hours without a sweat and engine seems to be relaxed even at these speeds.

It may not have the low speed pickups like duke 390 but never the less CBR comes with much more comfortable seats and low vibrations which is most needed in a long distance cruiser.

I have not driven any higher capacity bikes and cannot comment on their viability.

Cheers !!!

SG

Yes! Honda CBR250 would be the best choice of all you mentioned. It has lowest maintenance and low spare cost of all.

Note : If you are having a good budget then choose a bike with ABS.

@incarnation
Get a Ninja 650 and all your concerns will be addressed.

Your requirements clearly state that you want a 'sports tourer' and that's what the Ninja 650 is.

since the word performance is used with curising,duke 390 is the option. Enjoyed 12k kms on d390 before selling it. It's the cheapest performance bike you can get in the market.

Thread Starter #6
@incarnation
Get a Ninja 650 and all your concerns will be addressed.

Your requirements clearly state that you want a 'sports tourer' and that's what the Ninja 650 is.
i so want to lay my hands on the mean machine but even a used is way outside my budget. so i guess will sleep on the ninja for now. may be if almighty blesses me with some treasure i will buy a 650 ninja in future even kawa er60n crossed my mind but them the monthly EMI becomes heavy for a married man with a kid.[:D]

For a quick reliable and instant speed nothing better than CBR250 now - but will you like the sporty seating position ? It is not difficult to achieve - But after handling the RE will you like to lean forward ?

From a RE to next upgrade will be in Harley badge.

Thread Starter #8
yeah true Arijith. i have been thinking over it however will try CBR250R i have heard nothing but praises for the bike. KTM im a bit skeptical as there are bikes where the chasis itself is broken most of the KTM accidents have ended up in death nothing against the bike, its the rider not the bike i know that, however family members will never say a yes to KTM RC 390 for sure, i know that very well.

HD 750 i want to but monthly EMI doesn't fit in the budget.

and in the enthusiast community the word is, even if you get a Hyosung free of cost don't ride it as they aren't reliable.

that leaves me with 3 options either a CBR 250 R or a MOJO yeah MOJO has good reviews however CBR wins the battle with performance. and last but not the least the ever famous YAMAHA YZFR 3 which does fit in my budget. so need to test ride all three and decide which is the best bet also need to take out atleast 40k for full riding suit. as that is very important when riding these machines.

so lets see how it goes from here.

Last edited:
CBR250 now five years on Indian Road, Now spare and service easily accessible - I'll say go for it if you adjust the seating position.

About Hysoung the word is true. After getting the bike you get nothing else.

Last edited:
@incarnation
For the price of a new R3 or by adding 30-40k max to it, you can get a used Ninja 650. For 6.5 lac, I would have recommended you the Bandit 1250, used of course. :biggrin:

Additionally CBR 250 can be the motorcycle of choice. Why so? Because it is also a sports tourer itself and not a track focussed machine like Yahama siblings. Since you want a motorcycle which can munch miles quicker than RE and of course something more agile, then go for sports tourer motorcycle. Track focussed motorcycle is gonna be a pain in a$$ on long rides.

So my simple suggestions:
Used Ninja 650
CBR 250

Anyhow, my suggestion will be 650 any day as I have my own first hand experience with CBR 250, Ninja 300, Ninja 650 and Ninja 250

Last edited:
@Incarnation, for 2nd hand performance bikes, I would suggest not to gamble as if you buy from unknown source, you are fixed for life or the time you retain the bike, if you are going to upto 2L, why dont you buy the UM Commander?, it will be a new bike, and exclusive within budget, Himalayan I would not suggest, as I detest the looks, and looks more of a Jugaad by RE.

All the best

Vinod

Thread Starter #13
i have extensively driven himlayam in all terrain Vinod Sir. its definitely not a jugaad. its an awesome refined machine from the stable of RE.

Its more of adventure tourer a go anywhere bike any road. The suspension is the best compared to any bike in the segment. the upright position helps you to steer well. it can corner well also. i have jumped on humps and the landing was as if im landing on a sofa, that comfortable.

having said all that its torquier but not rev friendly as any RE, this time i'm looking for a rev friendly highway tourer, i'm not giving away ATOM but just adding another one to the stable. its not immediate i have time till the monsoon ends so im making no hurried decisions it will be a well thought decision.

Hi,
From the list you have given my points are for CBR250R. Since i own this machine, i am aware of what it capable for. It can cruise surely 100 - 120 without much effort. Very comfortable seating position is a very best part of this bike.
Note : I am 6.1 (Height).

Consider New Kawasaki Z250 or CBR 250 or KTM Duke 390.

I think Z 250 will be a better machine as it is from the Kawasaki Stable and cheaper than the 650 but still it is costlier for the features it offers but the bike feels more comfortable.

Duke 390 would be a better performance cruisers which feels more comfortable in highway and city conditions offering you both cruising and racing ability.

Top Bottom