Second Hand Sports Bike: Yamaha R1 vs Suzuki GSXR vs Hayabusa?

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys I'm a big fan of sport bikes and these days I'm planning to buy a sport bike, probably a second hand as I would like to buy a litre bike but I'm on a pretty tight budget (like around 6-7 lacs) so could you suggest some good options. Some of the bikes which I have selected are
2009 yamaha r1
Suzuki gsxr 1000 k6 (maybe around 2009)
And maybe a suzuki hayabusa gtx 1300r
But I don't like hayabusa that much. I would probably go for the yamaha r1 but still I want your suggestions. Please help...
Thanks
Regards
TechLaller

Re: Yamaha r1

Hello Tech,

One thing I want to say is that even though it will be a used SBK. it will be a SBK. do keep in mind the maintenance cost of the same. as the insurance alone will cost you upwards of 15000rs every year plus the servicing charges every year and any other parts.

Now apart from the serious stuff.

before suggesting you anything I would like to know what you plan on doing with it. like do you want something for just normal commuting, or just highway weekend drives or a bit of both.

And another serious thing if you are putting money in an SBK do keep around a 1 lakh aside for safety gears.

All 3 of them cant be used for daily city rides. You will be better off with a 600 c.c. class.

but if you are hell bent on buying an SBK, I suggest you go with your heart rather than with our minds.

a 1000cc super sport bike is an overkill for our roads. literally they can't be used even for 80% of the highways forget about city conditions.

Then comes the maintainene, service cost. then the tyres these tyres comes with sticky rubber which gets punctured compared to the tyres on our desi bikes.

you will not be able to use the bike to 50% of it's potential. I would suggest you to get the duke 390. I own a duke 390 and rode for 12k kms. Rarely i have used the bike to it's full potential. further with our traffic condtions, lack of proper road knowledge the super sport bikes are a recepie for disaster.

I do not know how much BHP, you can take. if you are upgrading from a beginner or fast commuter 200cc bike, take the duke 390, then a 600cc and 1000cc. if you have been riding a 600cc, then go for 1000cc.

My best pick for you will be duke 390, ninja 650.

if you are a beginner, by beginner I mean first timer for big bikes, then drop your plan. Its advisable to go through the ranks. Start small and then to the big ones. I would suggest you try something like the middle weights first. A Triumph Daytona may be. And once you've mastered it, the liter class [;)].

First of all are decide on what kind of usage this bike will have.

- Daily commute
- Regular/occasional Highways
- Solo riding ???

In case of used bikes, at the budget you decided, you will get 5-6 year old 1000+CC bike; probably 2009-10 year make. Now at that period of time Super Sports bike were not much popular, due to which the spare availability will be little tough specially the engine one.

Another opinion that 'kinshuk' mentioned is to buy a new bike with some lesser Capacity may be around 500CC.

If you are not leaned towards fully faired sports style bike, then you may TD Moto Guzzi V7, RE Continental GT is also a good option.

There are few good 500CC bikes from Hyosung, Kawasaki, Aprilia, Honda in 500-700CC range.

In India to utilize the 1000+CC potential, we do not have such good roads, so it would be little waste of money just to show off.

I own a Kawasaki Z800. Let me ask you where can you find a Yamaha R1 or Suzuki Gsxr or hayabysa for 6-7 lakhs??? I'm sure you'll get 2001 yamaha r1 for that price!! And what would be the maintenance if it? My friend owns a Yamaha R1 & spares are not at all available!! Even a Clutch plates was costed 25K + 8K fitting charge. Single rear tyre costs 18K that should changed every 12k kms(this is common for all sports bikes including my z800) My advice is you have a good budget look for 650CC bikes like Kawasaki Er6n or Ninja 650 or Cbr650F or even Z800. My z800 Costed me 9 Lakhs with Slider.
Keep 60K for Riding gears.
Cheers!!

Thread Starter #7

I own a Kawasaki Z800. Let me ask you where can you find a Yamaha R1 or Suzuki Gsxr or hayabysa for 6-7 lakhs??? I'm sure you'll get 2001 yamaha r1 for that price!! And what would be the maintenance if it? My friend owns a Yamaha R1 & spares are not at all available!! Even a Clutch plates was costed 25K + 8K fitting charge. Single rear tyre costs 18K that should changed every 12k kms(this is common for all sports bikes including my z800) My advice is you have a good budget look for 650CC bikes like Kawasaki Er6n or Ninja 650 or Cbr650F or even Z800. My z800 Costed me 9 Lakhs with Slider.
Keep 60K for Riding gears.
Cheers!!
Brother I am pretty sure I can get a 2008-2009 yamaha r1 for around 6 lacs. And talking about the 600 cc bikes I like ninja but it's sound note doesn't appeal to me. But yes cbr 650r sounds good but it's costly and even daytona 675r is out of question. Another 1litre bike that is available is a 2008-2009 suzuki gsxr 1000 k6 what do you think about its maintenance and all?!

Brother I am pretty sure I can get a 2008-2009 yamaha r1 for around 6 lacs. And talking about the 600 cc bikes I like ninja but it's sound note doesn't appeal to me. But yes cbr 650r sounds good but it's costly and even daytona 675r is out of question. Another 1litre bike that is available is a 2008-2009 suzuki gsxr 1000 k6 what do you think about its maintenance and all?!
That 2008-2009 Models you get is Grey Imports. Yes Suzuki gsxr k6 will be good choice but don't go for grey imports. If you have grey import bikes government officials can seize your bike anytime!! Google grey imports for more details. Ofcourse gsxr has less maintenance compared to R1. But you should order every part from Ebay!! From usa or japan.. if you go for new bike warranty will be available & no service problems. If you're are really wants Litre class bikes than look for hayabusa no gsxr no r1. Because Hayabusa is officially sold in india from Many years so many of them are not grey imports & you can even find spares for hayabusa from big suzuki showrooms in delhi,mumbai,chennai. Best part is you won't have any tension about grey import because you're bike documents are very clear.
And hayabus has awesome engine. Yeah it may look weird but it's all started in sports bikes era from Hayabusa only.

Thread Starter #9

That 2008-2009 Models you get is Grey Imports. Yes Suzuki gsxr k6 will be good choice but don't go for grey imports. If you have grey import bikes government officials can seize your bike anytime!! Google grey imports for more details. Ofcourse gsxr has less maintenance compared to R1. But you should order every part from Ebay!! From usa or japan.. if you go for new bike warranty will be available & no service problems. If you're are really wants Litre class bikes than look for hayabusa no gsxr no r1. Because Hayabusa is officially sold in india from Many years so many of them are not grey imports & you can even find spares for hayabusa from big suzuki showrooms in delhi,mumbai,chennai. Best part is you won't have any tension about grey import because you're bike documents are very clear.
And hayabus has awesome engine. Yeah it may look weird but it's all started in sports bikes era from Hayabusa only.
Actually I don't like the hayabusa at all and another thing is I am a big fan of the yamaha r1 and the gsxr. And bro could you please explain grey imports? And how can I know from the papers of a bike that it is a grey import??

Actually I don't like the hayabusa at all and another thing is I am a big fan of the yamaha r1 and the gsxr. And bro could you please explain grey imports? And how can I know from the papers of a bike that it is a grey import??
Normally a clean bike will have something called as Bill of Lading and the customs receipt (if I am not wrong). where it should be mentioned in what year the bike was imported and what was the customs you paid on it.

Grey import refers to bikes and cars which were imported in India as parts and were assembled here locally. It was done because for spare parts the cutom duty is around 30% where as for the entire motorcycle it is around 110%.

In 2009 the R1 used to cost around 12-13 lakhs on road so going by that and taking into account a 10% depreciation of rate every year theoretically you should be able to find a 09 R1 at around 6-7 lakhs. but as others have mentioned its unusable in India, exhorbitant maintenance.

regarding the sound, please have a look at the TNT 600i and the TNT 899. you will be blown away by the stock sound itself. and later on you can put in an aftermarket full exhaust system or a slip on to enhance it further if needed.

A typical 600 in India makes around 70-75 horse power which is more than enough to propel it to speeds north of 200kmph, with some other mods that power can be bumped up by almost 20-25%.

Thread Starter #11

Normally a clean bike will have something called as Bill of Lading and the customs receipt (if I am not wrong). where it should be mentioned in what year the bike was imported and what was the customs you paid on it.

Grey import refers to bikes and cars which were imported in India as parts and were assembled here locally. It was done because for spare parts the cutom duty is around 30% where as for the entire motorcycle it is around 110%.

In 2009 the R1 used to cost around 12-13 lakhs on road so going by that and taking into account a 10% depreciation of rate every year theoretically you should be able to find a 09 R1 at around 6-7 lakhs. but as others have mentioned its unusable in India, exhorbitant maintenance.

regarding the sound, please have a look at the TNT 600i and the TNT 899. you will be blown away by the stock sound itself. and later on you can put in an aftermarket full exhaust system or a slip on to enhance it further if needed.

A typical 600 in India makes around 70-75 horse power which is more than enough to propel it to speeds north of 200kmph, with some other mods that power can be bumped up by almost 20-25%.
Benelli these days is owned by a Chinese company and I just don't know why I cannot trust this company.. I feel like going for the k6 if I can get a good one with all the paperwork completeor maybe an r1 only considering that the bike will be used fir weekend rides only and would be used in the city only a few times when I feel like showing off!!!

Benelli these days is owned by a Chinese company and I just don't know why I cannot trust this company.. I feel like going for the k6 if I can get a good one with all the paperwork completeor maybe an r1 only considering that the bike will be used fir weekend rides only and would be used in the city only a few times when I feel like showing off!!!
I dont know what to say, majority of the world products are manufactured in China only.

if you are able to get the K6 or the R1 in your budget nothing like it. Best of luck with your hunt. Do update whatever you buy.

check the bill of lading or DRI clearance certificate(incase of a grey market)

the bill of lading has a serious of documents if i remember correctly it should have 4 to 6 papers. details

1. where it was manfactured.
2. new or old bike
3. by whom it was imported
4. from which country it was shipped.
5. which port it landed.
6. checked by customs or not
7. it will have the forms or photocopies of the forms 23 to 29 that are needed for transfer of ownership
8.check engine and chasis number
9.grey market bikes will have mostly tampered speedo

when i was on the hunt for a used super bike, got a lot of grey market imports from chennai port.

now living with a grey market bike, it's okay unless you are caught or a accident happens. if you are caught, the bike will be auctioned saying that's not a legal one. if you wish to pay the auction amount you can get the bike back it's like paying twice the amount.

Now go through this important things no matter which bike you buy

it's not possible to judge just by idling the bike. for ex: honda sbk's are refined and kawaskai bikes aren't refined make a lot of sound

Some visible things to check:

check front fork and rear suspension this can be found while riding and cornering, if there is tank slapping there is something fishy about the front forks mostly it needs a replacement.

brake pads, disc rotors should have material left in them. do not test the bike in open roads, do it in crowded streets where the bike heats up. the problems become eminent when the engine heats up.most superbikes needed octane 98 petrol which is not easily available.

Having lived with a superbike, tyres make the most biggest hole in your pocket. the tyres last less than a 5000kms. replace the tyre if it has more than one or two punctures. go slow through potholes and speedbumps to avoid alloy bends.

wish you all the best for your purchase. do update what bike you bought.

Top Bottom