Need Suggestions To Buy a New Commuter Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Petrol heads,

After 7.5 Years and 85k Kms my hero honda hunk has finally became old. engine had to be re- bored and i am planning to buy a new Bike.

My requirements are
1. Ride Comfort for both
2. Moderate to good pickup
3. No backpain bike
4. Mileage of around 40 - 45 is OK
5. Reliability. (can not afford to change the bike. planning to keep it at least for 5 years)
6. can take Loan to extend budget if necessary.

I have short listed the following based on some research

1. Suzuki gs150 r - dont know any one who has this bike in my circle. so need honest opinion on this.
2. Unicorn 150CC- proven machine
3. All muscle Hunk again - with 15.6 bhp and rear disk, this seems one of the best bet. Also, i know about the reliability and comfort of her since 7.5 years.

Any other please suggest me.

Also is it worth to buy new bike or re-bohr the old one. need to change tires too.

If I was in your situation, I'll not go for another 150 CC bike after using one for more than 7.5 years. I'll look minimum 200 cc one or above if buying a new one.
If money matters, It is better to do a small rebuild. Is it your bike showing any signs (white smoke, oil burning) of age? In that case better change the piston & cylinder kit instead of rebohring and also do the valve setting. Including the tire change and other work it doesn't cost more than 10K. Then bike will ready for another 50 K km and you can easily extend your decision of buying new bike for a minimum 1 year. There are plenty of new models coming in this year in above 150 CC segment. This way you can save more money than you spend for rebuild by using it and selling it with a better condition engine for a new model bike later.

Regarding the models you shortlisted.

1. GS 150R- It match all your requirements I am sure. But it may out of production soon I think other wise it is good. I own one (2010 may model) and completed 80 K km. I used it for my daily office commute (70 km up and down) till aug 2014 . Now using carpool for office commute

2.Unicorn160?- It is unicorn 160 now and I am not sure the old unicorn 150 is still in sale. The unicorn 150 and your hunk had the same engine with a slightly different turning.

3. Did you feel it is worth to go for same bike again just for rear disc brake and 2 BHP?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
If I was in your situation, I'll not go for another 150 CC bike after using one for more than 7.5 years. I'll look minimum 200 cc one or above if buying a new one.
If money matters, It is better to do a small rebuild. Is it your bike showing any signs (white smoke, oil burning) of age? In that case better change the piston & cylinder kit instead of rebohring and also do the valve setting. Including the tire change and other work it doesn't cost more than 10K. Then bike will ready for another 50 K km and you can easily extend your decision of buying new bike for a minimum 1 year. There are plenty of new models coming in this year in above 150 CC segment. This way you can save more money than you spend for rebuild by using it and selling it with a better condition engine for a new model bike later.

Regarding the models you shortlisted.

1. GS 150R- It match all your requirements I am sure. But it may out of production soon I think other wise it is good. I own one (2010 may model) and completed 80 K km. I used it for my daily office commute (70 km up and down) till aug 2014 . Now using carpool for office commute

2.Unicorn160?- It is unicorn 160 now and I am not sure the old unicorn 150 is still in sale. The unicorn 150 and your hunk had the same engine with a slightly different turning.

3. Did you feel it is worth to go for same bike again just for rear disc brake and 2 BHP?
Thanks Releesh for suggestions.

I have to travel 50kms(up and down) daily and in completely peek traffic. 200CC heavy bikes would be pain to drive hence 150cc

1. I too heard that GS150 r is out of production yesterday when enquired in suzuki showroom.
2. I was looking for Unicorn 150 but its out of production hence have unicorn 160 in mind now.

3. I still feel Hunk is worth because of its comfort and mileage (never went under 45 kmpl)

Also, I test drived Honda CB Hornet today. Felt good. Liked the bike pickup, and Handling but only driver can sit comfortably not pillion.

My Initial thought was to get the bike repaired but i am not sure how many more kms it will Run. I will think over your suggestion.

In the mean time, can any one throw light on New CBZ xtreme?

Thread Starter #4
Since no suggestions, I have test rided CBZ xtreme sports, CB unicorn 160 and CB Hornet. finally zeroed down to CB Hornet 160.

Any one bought this bike, Please throw some light on experiences...

Thread Starter #5
No Suggestions yet? hmmmm,okay so things started to move and after test drives of few bikes, i have zeroed to Hornet and then a flashback..

Back in 2008 i wanted to buy a bullet but you know i was in college and not into earning and being from middle class with few financial limitations, I could not buy. Now that things are little settled, My dad and My wife wants me to try bullet. with my wife pushing me for TD, I will go for TDs in couple of days.

In the meanwhile,

I have re-shortlisted bullet electra 350 and classic 350 with more inclination towards electra 350.

I wanted your suggestions on selecting between these two machines. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vijay,

Why don't you add Avenger 220 Street to the mix, it will be about 1L cheaper than the bullet.

Do take your family along, to see which will be comfortable for both rider & pillion.

All the best.

Vinod

A 200cc bike is difficult to handle in traffic then how can a bullet? I had a electra it was a nightmare in traffic. But put on the riding gear, head to the highways it's a brezze and you forget everything crusing between 70 and 90. The Bullet will not be half reliable as your Hunk.I would say the service center mechanics are nothing but joke. If you want a bullet, find a good mechanic outisde. There are lot of areas of concern in owing a bullet are relablity, finding spares and find mechanics and riding in B2B traffic.

From the current 150cc bikes the suggestion will be gixxer, xtreme sports and FZ.
from the current 200cc bikes the suggestion wil be apache 200, p220 or the ever reliable zma( old one). The New zma if you can forget the looks of the bike. you can get a good conditned zma and 200ns in second hand market. The ZMA fits all your requirements.

The 2bhp more in Hunk does not make difference the acceleration and tunning is still sedate, does not rev freely as the Xtreme which shares the same engine in a different tune

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Hi Vijay,

Why don't you add Avenger 220 Street to the mix, it will be about 1L cheaper than the bullet.

Do take your family along, to see which will be comfortable for both rider & pillion.

All the best.

Vinod
I really liked the bike.. but i am not comfortable with its Height. I felt its very short.

May be as you have suggested, I will go for TD again with neutral mind

Go for gixxer it is lightweight then most 150 bikes. If your travelling is more on highway then avenger 150. Hunk is great bike i have 2009 model but there will not be any difference with your current one.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
A 200cc bike is difficult to handle in traffic then how can a bullet? I had a electra it was a nightmare in traffic. But put on the riding gear, head to the highways it's a brezze and you forget everything crusing between 70 and 90. The Bullet will not be half reliable as your Hunk.I would say the service center mechanics are nothing but joke. If you want a bullet, find a good mechanic outisde. There are lot of areas of concern in owing a bullet are relablity, finding spares and find mechanics and riding in B2B traffic.

From the current 150cc bikes the suggestion will be gixxer, xtreme sports and FZ.
from the current 200cc bikes the suggestion wil be apache 200, p220 or the ever reliable zma( old one). The New zma if you can forget the looks of the bike. you can get a good conditned zma and 200ns in second hand market. The ZMA fits all your requirements.

The 2bhp more in Hunk does not make difference the acceleration and tunning is still sedate, does not rev freely as the Xtreme which shares the same engine in a different tune
thanks for the inputs Pravin. couple of questions

1. if i manage (mentally ofcourse) in B2B traffic with bullet, it is worth? I hope its not that bad to go to service station that frequently. Please throw some light here.

EDIT : i am currently riding my friend`s Thunderbird(old 2010 model) since 1 and half months. not even a small issue i faced. Yes its difficult in traffic but other issues didnt exist for me.

2. My Heart is not accepting any Bajajs and TVS except avenger. but avenger is little short and didnt felt comfortable in TD
3. Gixxer has very small back seat and Home minister rejected straight away. Didnt like new CBZ xtreme sports.
4. Is it ZMR or ZMA? confused. also just because karizma stopped its production, I didnt gave much thought to this bike.. I liked old karizmas with bigger tail lamp. I will take a TD tomorrow.

Also, i can manage with small niggling issues with bullet unless it stops in peak traffic with out starting again..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Go for gixxer it is lightweight then most 150 bikes. If your travelling is more on highway then avenger 150. Hunk is great bike i have 2009 model but there will not be any difference with your current one.

Most of rides are in city. Highway could be just a weekend gateway kind off gaurang.

Gixxer is no doubt great bike. Liked the ride very much but its pillion seat is very small. Wife was not comfortable..Avenger is short for me (5-10).

Thread Starter #13
Hi All,

Showroom guy Informed me that i can take delivery on Thursday that is tomorrow.

Need some light on accessories

Showroom Quote seems a bit High. not sure if its worth

1, Crash Guard - 2000
2. Ladies Handle - 400
3. Foam to cover back rest - 200
4. Indicator Caps - 400
5. Headlight caps - 400

Prices seems to be very high when compared to Online... can you please suggest if its worth buying these in showroom or do you guys suggest any shop

@bvijaybhargav welcome to the RE classic 350 club, its indeed a good bike no doubt, congratulations on the buy. wish you happy miles ahead.

Do get a goos suitable gear for you. that is a good riding jacket with armour, Shinpads and nice gloves , Also a good helmet.

the prices of the Aceessories are worth it crash guard price is good. so dont worry you can go for it. it doesnt sound pricey also the materials used outside would be of cheap standars hence the low price, so i would say stick to the showroom accessories now and later on your requiremnet you can go for better ones.

Also Do not go for any after market exhaust till you cross 20k kms as your warranty will be void if you do that, after the warranty period you can think of changing it.

RE's are a bit heavy hence managing them in Metro Traffic would be a problem if you are not used to it. once you get used it is as good as any other bikes.

take special care in rainy season do not ride fast, because as the tires are thin compared to the weight of the bike there are good chances of fishtailing in monsoon. i have faced the situation hence saying so.

even i live in the coastal area so rain in both the areas are the same, be extra cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom