Buying a New Scooter: TVS Jupiter or Hero Maestro Edge?

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I am planning to buy one more Scooter (already having a TVS Wego) and my likings have been TVS Jupiter or Hero Maestro Edge.

Early last month, I have visited the Hero Showroom in my place. They advised that Maestro Edge still to come here (Understand Maestro Edge is still to be launched in Kerala). They had the Hero Duet available ready in stock.

The Duet looks nice (almost the shape of Activa) with lot of new features like Integrated Breaking system, side stand indicator, Pass light, USB 3.0 Charging port, Boot Light, Digital Analog combo console, External fuel filler, Low fuel indicator, Service due indicator, Full metal Body etc. The price they quoted was Rs.63,000 on the road with 5 year warranty.

Engine power: 110.9 cc, 8.31 bhp @8000Rpm, 8.30 NM@6500 RPM
Dimension: 1830x726x1139mm
Ground Clearance : 155

Tubeless Tyres 90/100-10-53J (both front and rear) but no alloy wheels

I like the scooter but bit confused about the 10'' wheel size because both Wego and Jupiter comes with 12'' tyres which I prefer. However Jupiter do not have above features, especially the Integrated breaking system (or even combo breaking system like Honda Scooters) and Side stand indicator. The price (OTR) Rs.64,000 with 3 year warranty. (New Wego model now comes with combo breaking system).

I have written to Hero motors to let me know when they intend to launch the Maestro Edge and they initially replied that it will be sometime in January 2016, and few days back they informed me that it will be launched in kerala sometime in end February or Early march 2016.

I have been in search for a right scooter since begining of December 2015, but unable come to an conclusion so far.

Ofcourse Jupiter is good one but since I already having one TVS scooter, I dont want another one from the same family. Also, I prefer to have latest features instead of buying a scooter with old style/features.

Now, the Maestro Edge launch is further delayed, I almost in favour of Hero Duet but still some confusion....

Is that 12'' or 10'' tyre size going to make much of a difference in actual performance?? (Hero guy says not going to make huge difference whereas TVS guy says 12" tyre size will give more grip, comfort etc....

Can anyone please give suggestions on this?

Thread Starter #2

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Unfortunately, no comments to above post from any members so far...[confused]

Anyway, I have now made comparison on main features of Maestro Edge, Duet and Jupiter which as under:

Ofcourse, there are no second opinion about the performance of Tvs Jupiter, but featurewise this scooter still stand behind the other two.....?

I was about to create a new thread as I too am confused between TVS Jupiter & Hero Duet. My mind is more inclined towards Jupiter due to the smoothness of the engine. Hero Duet is around 58,500 and Jupiter is around 60k (without accessories).

Thread Starter #4

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I have almost finalised Maestro Edge but Hero sales guys advise that the Scooter will be launched in Kerala only by end March or 1st week of April 2016 which means I have to wait close to 2 months for this one.

It leaves me to short list from Jupiter or Hero duet. Ofcourse Jupiter is smooth and have 12'' wheels but since I already have a Wego, I am not much preferred to bring another TVS scooter into my family. [;)]

That leaves me to Pick the Hero Duet but only thing comes in between the two is Wheel size (Duet comes with 10'' wheels). Unable to take a decision or get convinced whether to chose a 12'' or 10'' wheel size scooter.!!!![confused]

I have almost finalised Maestro Edge but Hero sales guys advise that the Scooter will be launched in Kerala only by end March or 1st week of April 2016 which means I have to wait close to 2 months for this one.

It leaves me to short list from Jupiter or Hero duet. Ofcourse Jupiter is smooth and have 12'' wheels but since I already have a Wego, I am not much preferred to bring another TVS scooter into my family. [;)]

That leaves me to Pick the Hero Duet but only thing comes in between the two is Wheel size (Duet comes with 10'' wheels). Unable to take a decision or get convinced whether to chose a 12'' or 10'' wheel size scooter.!!!![confused]
I haven't shortlisted Maestro Edge only for one reason:

One of my friend owns a Maestro 2015. If he doesn't take out the Maestro even for 3-4 days, it takes 'n' number of kicks to start the vehicle. As the scooter will be used by wife as well, can't expect her to kick start the vehicle. Not sure if Duet will have the same problem too.

Experts: Can you please put some light on 12'' or 10'' wheel size.

Thread Starter #6

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I was searching the Google and found below article regarding wheel size....

Scooter Wheel and Tire Size - Scooter Focus - All about Scooters

It says...
the smaller the wheel the more manouverable the scooter can be. The smaller wheel has less of a gyroscopic effect making it somewhat easier to turn..

Larger wheels may give better stability at speed. Also larger wheel will roll over pothole in the road bit easily than the smaller wheels. May be this is the reason Jupiter with 12'' wheels rides smoothly with good stability.

But if one can see at present, most of the scooters comes with 10'' wheels (Honda Scooters except the 3G comes with 12'' front wheel, Suzuki, Yamaha Maindra, Hero etc). Only TVS Jupiter/Wego and Mahindra Gusto comes with 12'' Wheels both front and rear.!!

I haven't shortlisted Maestro Edge only for one reason:

One of my friend owns a Maestro 2015. If he doesn't take out the Maestro even for 3-4 days, it takes 'n' number of kicks to start the vehicle. As the scooter will be used by wife as well, can't expect her to kick start the vehicle. Not sure if Duet will have the same problem too.

Experts: Can you please put some light on 12'' or 10'' wheel size.
@Rahul, please do not get confused, 12" both wheels with telescopic suspension is the ideal combo for scooters, I own a Jupiter since July '15, and its a hoot to ride, even when I am away from the country, my driver takes it out for a spin once a week, and starts in one kick/self.

regards

vinod

@Rahul, please do not get confused, 12" both wheels with telescopic suspension is the ideal combo for scooters, I own a Jupiter since July '15, and its a hoot to ride, even when I am away from the country, my driver takes it out for a spin once a week, and starts in one kick/self.

regards

vinod
Then Jupiter it is for me. Thanks a lot for clearing my doubts. Will book one in a couple of weeks (Matt Grey colour) as soon as I trade my FZ [:D].

Thread Starter #9

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I would have also gone for Jupiter but for couple of reasons, am slowing down or keep on thinking...

1) Already I have a Wego which I have been riding since last one year. So not much preferred to have another TVS product....[confused]

2) Besides all other features of other latest Scooters, I most prefer to have couple of items which are External fuel filling and Side stand down warning light/buzzer, combi break or integrated breaking system..

Jupiter, ofcourse have external fuel filling but no side stand warning indcator or the combi break system (latest Wego comes with Combi breaking). I always forget to lift side stand which resulting in either my left toe get hits on the side stand or the side stand scratching on the surface. Also, riding with pillion I feel the breaking is not perfect on my Wego hence a combi breaker would be more ideal...

Wish Jupiter atleast comes with a Side stand indcator and combi breaking..[roll]

Thread Starter #10

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Yesterday I went to TVS dealer (my Wego was due for the 5th Service) and discussed with the Showroom Manager regarding possibility of any upgrading of Jupiter on the cards. He believes that no upgradation expected in the near future since the sales of Jupiter have been good eventhough there are other new Scooter models available in the market. They dont have even the Jupiter with disc breaks but he told me if needed then can get one fixed with disc breaks.

Is that safe/easy to fit a disc break in the local service stations (instead of factory fitting)?

They dont have even the Jupiter with disc breaks but he told me if needed then can get one fixed with disc breaks.

Is that safe/easy to fit a disc break in the local service stations (instead of factory fitting)?
How much did he quote for fitting disc brake separately.

Its not just the disc brake that would be bolted on the front wheels on any scooter, unless you get it as OEM supply do not opt for such options.
Jupiter's brakes are pretty good and so is its ride and FE, saying from my ownership of it which is driven for 15K till now.Has better storage box, better height, better leg room and better rear seat space compared to other scooter.I am 6'1" and after driving around lot many options choosed this scooter above others.

Hello Friends,

I too advice to go for scooters with 12" wheels and those that have 10" wheel, please keep them in the last of your shopping list. You may ignore one or two features but 12" wheel size is must.

You can look for TVS Jupiter, Honda Activa 125, Hero Maestro Edge and Honda Aviator, that come with 12" wheels.

I own a Honda Dio 2014 and only thing I hate is the wheel size. Its so troublesome on uneven roads or potholes. Maneuverability and stability in straight line is also a problem.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
12" Wheels

Please avoid the current Hero & Honda range, as some models come with 12" front & 10" back wheels!!, beyond logic, I suppose just to save a few bucks.

Add to this the non telescopic front suspensions.

Top Bottom