Replacement For 3.5 Year Old Access 125

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI'ians,

We are planning to replace my grandfather(mom's father) Access 125 for a better one as he didn't like the suspension and brakes of the scooter.His age is 74 and still strong and 5'4 above 70 Kgs of weight.Its a Dec 2011 version bought in Jan 2012 and till now,it has done just 8700 Km in 3.5 years.At the time of buying scooter in 2011-12,he was almost decided to book an Activa but due to waiting period he bought Access over this.His running is less as he doesn't go anywhere and mostly he commutes to my home.As of now,we are considering Activa 125 with disc brakes as we need better suspension this time.What I like in Access is power and light weight.How much I could expect for our Access 125 Jan 2012 version which has run just 8700 Km in 3.5 years?We are expecting ₹40,000 considering scooter has run less in 3.5 years.

For such a strong man at this age bulky Activa 3g/125 wouldn't be a wise choice. Although suspension of Activa is tuned to meet Indian road, but the body balance has not much improved, compared to TVS Jupiter.

I would suggest to take a test drive on

- Vespa [super smooth suspension, best engine, stylish, best ergonomics]
- TVS Jupiter [smooth suspension, stylish, best ergonomics, good engine]
- Mahindra Gusto [smooth suspension, best ergonomics, good engine]
- Honda Activa [best engine, super smooth suspension,]

Check out few things

- how does each of them handles the pot holes and bad road
- what are the vibration transferred from front wheel to handle
- which scooter you feel most safe while cornering
- what is the response time from idle to a normal speed

Out of the above scooter
- Gusto has a height adjustment, telescopic suspension, 12" tyres
- Jupiter has a telescopic suspension, 12" tyres

In your case, your personal experience would make a better choice.

Thread Starter #3
For such a strong man at this age bulky Activa 3g/125 wouldn't be a wise choice. Although suspension of Activa is tuned to meet Indian road, but the body balance has not much improved, compared to TVS Jupiter.

I would suggest to take a test drive on

- Vespa [super smooth suspension, best engine, stylish, best ergonomics]
- TVS Jupiter [smooth suspension, stylish, best ergonomics, good engine]
- Mahindra Gusto [smooth suspension, best ergonomics, good engine]
- Honda Activa [best engine, super smooth suspension,]

Check out few things

- how does each of them handles the pot holes and bad road
- what are the vibration transferred from front wheel to handle
- which scooter you feel most safe while cornering
- what is the response time from idle to a normal speed

Out of the above scooter
- Gusto has a height adjustment, telescopic suspension, 12" tyres
- Jupiter has a telescopic suspension, 12" tyres

In your case, your personal experience would make a better choice.
Don't want to go for Vespa as it is overpriced and however thinking to buy for myself.So Vespa ruled out.Regarding Jupiter,I have TD'ed it and impressed with it.On road in Hyd is ₹63605.Don't want Gusto as it is Mahindra.Considering Activa 125 or Jupiter only as of now.Got a call from a buyer and he said ₹40K is too much sir,₹35K is the best price.He said that he saw an Access 2012 June going for just ₹30K and I almost bought it but the owner sold it off.
But I have a buyer who is my brother's friend.He is ready to buy a scooter and said the same to him.The selling plan came into our mind when we said suspension and FE is worst.

Last edited:
I second your thought, TVS Jupiter is a well weighed scooter available in our current market.

If possible, ask the showroom guys to get the vehicle to your grandfather's home, so that he could test it. (Be the customer we are [;)])

Bro you should possibly contemplate between jupiter and activa 125 . Since it makes sense that activa might be heavier for grandfather but it is my personal opinion that you make him test ride both .
Recently my grand father who is close to 80 yr has switched to activa 125 from honda pleasure and he is absolutely comfortable with it .

Bro you should possibly contemplate between jupiter and activa 125 . Since it makes sense that activa might be heavier for grandfather but it is my personal opinion that you make him test ride both .
Recently my grand father who is close to 80 yr has switched to activa 125 from honda pleasure and he is absolutely comfortable with it .
You cannot compare the comfort between Activa & Pleasure.
Pleasure is all time worst scooter available from Hero. Suspension, built quality, maintenance and headlight are some of the worst features of this. My personal experience with around 2 years.

Test all options to get feel - Honda Activa is probably the safest bet in what is available in the market

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone.First we have to close the deal of our Access and buy a new scooter.But,no one are coming ahead to look at the scooter due to the price we quoted.

Have you checked for exchange offer? What is the dealer's quote? Also try posting your ad on various portals online, including TAI. Definitely, the potential buyer is just missing out on the information.

Thread Starter #10
Have you checked for exchange offer? What is the dealer's quote? Also try posting your ad on various portals online, including TAI. Definitely, the potential buyer is just missing out on the information.
No haven't checked.BTW,today when my grandfather went to his home for some work in his Access,he asked a Jupiter owner who is in traffic,he asked him 'Kaisa hai aur kitna dethi hai?'That Jupiter guy said vehicle is good and it is giving 55 Kmpl.He liked the Jupiter very much in red colour.

Jupiter owners,can you tell me how much FE it is giving?

Thread Starter #11
Today read the reviews of Activa 3G and Jupiter.I feel Activa is safest choice because of its reliability,maintenance,FE.Don't want to go for 125cc because his running is less than 200 Km and don't want to spend much on extra 15cc.So,want to take decision safely this time without regretting the purchase.And,BTW,I rode my cousin's April 2015 Activa 3G,which has done just more than 800 Km in 2.5 months on Sunday.It is butter smooth as ever.He bought Activa by replacing his Duro 125DZ 2012 version due to less mileage and not so good reliability.Now,he is happy with Activa.

BTW,Access body is fiber right?Because I have hit the front body kit of Access last year and replaced it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Honda dealer quoted me just ₹16-17K for the exchange of Access which I felt too low whereas TVS had quoted about ₹20K on Access which is bit better than what Honda quoted.

I'm showing my interest towards Jupiter due to its looks and body balance technology,which is a must on bad roads because I had a bad experience 3 days ago when I was going speed on my Access,I had applied brakes suddenly and luckily I escaped with minor bruises.But,my concerns on Jupiter is FE and after sales service.However,our running is less as my grandfather doesn't go anywhere except coming to my home.Even he too liked Jupiter.

I second your thought, TVS Jupiter is a well weighed scooter available in our current market.
Excellent scooter but poor resale.

Honda dealer quoted me just ₹16-17K for the exchange of Access which I felt too low whereas TVS had quoted about ₹20K on Access which is bit better than what Honda quoted.
Sell privately whenever you have to. OLX gets you better prices.

Update-My grandfather decided not to sell the Access because the quotes we are getting is too low.Instead,I will buy one for myself.
Best decision. You should keep the Access for yourself and buy a new scooter for your grandfather. Consider the Suzuki Swish, Suzuki Lets and Yamaha Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom