Confused Between FZ and R15 For Daily Commute

Thread Starter #1
I am going to join in a MNC and need to buy a bike for daily commuting to and from office ! I want to know what is the best bike available in Indian market in the 1 lakh price range ! I was pretty much sure that i needed the FZ ! Just now the FZ ver 2.0 has been released ! It has made my confusion a bit more..Both look good while the design is slightky different for both the models.. R15 has also caught my eye ! So i am really finding it difficult to arrive at a decision.. Please give me a suggestion on which bike should i go for [roll][frustration][frustration]

Why don't you look to the Honda Unicorn '15 model? It is not an aggressive styling but will give good comfort in city riding.Engine is butter smooth.Take a Test Drive if possible.

Ramanathan i feel its more of your perspective than ours. If you are a guy who likes Fully Faired bikes then go for R15. if you are the one who likes naked bikes then go for FZ. i like FZ more than R15 and i have my reasons as i'm a family person when it comes to pillion on the R15 its most uncomfortable bike. whereas FZ you don't have the problem with the Pillion seat. otherwise engine wise and performance wise both are nearly same.its the looks that differentiate them. BTW if you have a GF who sits as a pillion R15 will not be comfortable at all.( This is only my take on the bike). Suggestions may vary from person to person.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks for your advice incarnation ! I perfectly go by what you say ! FZ definitely edges out R15 when it comes to comfort !Which one do you guys think is better FZ ver 1.0 or FZ ver2.0?

Why don't you look to the Honda Unicorn '15 model? It is not an aggressive styling but will give good comfort in city riding.Engine is butter smooth.Take a Test Drive if possible.
Ya but i dont want an Unicorn now ! I want something a little bit stylish as well !

version one is more rugged like a person in jeans and version 2 is a bit sophisticated check which one suits your requirement. personally i would go with version 1 that's my style coz i like the rugged looks for a sophisticated look i would opt for version 2. also Ramanathan use edit function instead of back to back post just a friendly advice.

Ramanathan don't get confused much, if you like both the vehicles then buy the Yamaha Fazer version 2.0, if you want a faired bike with the yamaha's engine and a comfortable pillion.

But if you don't like the faired version then as incarnation suggested buy the first version of the Yamaha FZ or Yamaha FZS. But if you still want a faired version then Yamaha Fazer gives you a comfortable ride and a perfect tourer (Highway vehicle) than the FZ's.

Last edited:
FZ for self and pillion comfort.

R15 for everything else.

I am owning an R15 for the last three years and have covered around 50000 kms till now and out of that about 30000 has been covered with my girl friend as pillion. I love to visit places and the most difficult till now was my trip to Bhutan as roads are extremes on the way. Yes I had my lady as pillion.

Having used this vehicle till now I have faced no severe challenges while travelling other than unwanted attention and yes I never had to spend anything on the engine yet. Total maintenance I spent till now should not even cross the 35k mark in three years.

The only challenge I faced in an R15 would be the lights. Hence I upgraded the battery from 2.5 amp to 9 amp (1750/-), altered the stator from three phase star configuration to three phase delta configuration (500/-) and replaced the RR unit with APE three phase RR unit (1700/-). With that you can happily run 60/55w in both headlights without any issue. I am currently on 50w 4300K HID and I am happy.

Note: R15 delivers better fuel efficiency FYI. I have a free flowing exhaust (Daytona Dagrex) since my bike was about 8000 kms on odometer and I have always got kmpl figures above 40 with pillion. At times at early 50s too. I am not an exception many of my friends get similar figures too but none till now I heard of gets more than 40 kmpl on FZ. Mentioned just in case that is something you want to consider.

PS: You might as well consider the Suzuki Gixxer 150. I have ridden that back to back with FZ v2 and the performance is far better in that. Didn't ride the faired Gixxer 150 yet but saw it in flesh and it looks super, also the riding posture is much relaxed.

Question for bikers.Is R15 a good option 5'7-5'8 height
R15 is not a proper bike for someone of 5'7- 5'8 height as you will have to lean (makes your spinal cord to ache after a minutes of drive) forward the most to have fun and it is also not a proper daily use/ city use bike but it will only be track friendly bike.

But if you like the faired versions then go in for the Honda CBR's (150 or 250), if you need cheaper faired bike then buy the Fazer. My advice is being a leaner buy a Yamaha Fzs till you learn, then after some years buy a bike of your own choice.

I am going to join in a MNC and need to buy a bike for daily commuting to and from office ! I want to know what is the best bike available in Indian market in the 1 lakh price range ! I was pretty much sure that i needed the FZ ! Just now the FZ ver 2.0 has been released ! It has made my confusion a bit more..Both look good while the design is slightky different for both the models.. R15 has also caught my eye ! So i am really finding it difficult to arrive at a decision.. Please give me a suggestion on which bike should i go for
Hello Ramanathan.[:)]

First of all both the bikes are too good at commuting , i must say.

I'm using a version 1.0 R15 for the past 4 years and I've done almost 88k km's on it. I used to commute 140 kms daily on it. I was pretty happy with it.
When it comes to version 2.0 the only thing it matters is the pillion comfort and the weight distribution . You'll feel a little more weight on your hands and the only area where pain starts is your hand palm. It's one of the best handling bikes available .

When it's FZ, get the version 2.0 as it's the new updated one with FI. Both the Fz are good for touring and the new engine felt stress free on higher revs.

Note to remember : Whether it's Fz or R15, while commuting please don't use shoulder bags as it will create a lot of pain and aches on daily basis. I've felt the issue since i was doing the same.

Question for bikers.Is R15 a good option 5'7-5'8 height and 65 Kgs of weight?Im planning to buy a bike for myself next year as I turn 18 next August and this will be my first ever bike.
R15 will be one of the best options [;)]

R15 is not a proper bike for someone of 5'7- 5'8 height as you will have to lean (makes your spinal cord to ache after a minutes of drive) forward the most to have fun and it is also not a proper daily use/ city use bike but it will only be track friendly bike.

But if you like the faired versions then go in for the Honda CBR's (150 or 250), if you need cheaper faired bike then buy the Fazer. My advice is being a leaner buy a Yamaha Fzs till you learn, then after some years buy a bike of your own choice.
BTW,Im a leaner guy who knows only how to drive gearless scooter.Till now,didn't learn how to ride a bike.Planning to learn riding a bike after I complete 12th next summer.Don't want to go FZ-S as I want a bike at Rs.2L budget.I have been considering Duke too as it is lighter than R15.

And,it should have lower seating position as my build is average.Now,planning to go to gym for gain in my body as Im the one who will handle the bike.

Last edited:
Planning to learn riding a bike after I complete 12th next summer.Don't want to go FZ-S as I want a bike at Rs.2L budget.I have been considering Duke too as it is lighter than R15.
If you want to learn riding a bike then i wouldn't suggest new R15 for learning, but first it is better to ride on a used pulsar or any other bike as per your availability and then after about 4-6 months you can ride your new bike. If your budget is Rs. 2L then KTM Duke will be a better choice than R15 in terms of seating position, rushing power, cruisability.

If you want to learn riding a bike then i wouldn't suggest new R15 for learning, but first it is better to ride on a used pulsar or any other bike as per your availability and then after about 4-6 months you can ride your new bike. If your budget is Rs. 2L then KTM Duke will be a better choice than R15 in terms of seating position, rushing power, cruisability.

My plan is to learn riding a bike first on my brother's Splendor+ and buy a lightweight bike with low seating position.

Top Bottom