• Activa 125 DLX

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Both are equally good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
I am planning to buy a gearless scooter. My monthly run will be about 100 kilometers and bike will be used for occasional trips to market and leisurely rides during weekends. The usage will be mostly inside city. After some market research and test drives I have shortlisted two scooters. Activa 125 DLX and Vespa VX. I am slightly inclined towards Vespa because of its looks and cult status. Below are my priorities

1. Performance :- There is a very steep incline just in front of my apartment. The scooter should be able to handle this with two persons on it. It should have good pickup and high low end torque.

2. Fun to drive :- The ride quality and handling are important criterias for selection. Got some feedback that Vespa has some stability issues. In short the scooter should be fun to drive.

3. Hassle free ownership :- I am planning to keep this scooter for long (5 plus years). Long term reliability and maintainability should be good. Being a best seller, I guess Activa has an upper hand here

4. Test rides :- I am a newbie driver and were not able to differentiate much between the two in the test rides

Thread Starter #4
Listed the details in TAI template
> Your Budget: Below 90k (On road)
> New or Used: New Scooter
> Your Location: Kochi, Kerala)
> Top Five Priorities: Comfort, Fun to drive, Power, Relieability, Easy to maintain
> For What Purpose: Weekend tourer and Regular commute in that order
> Type of Bodystyle: Scooter
> Shortlisted Models: Vespa Vx and Activa 125 DLX

Me too in same confusion.Planning to buy a scooter for myself.If I were u,I would say go and get Vespa.It has retro looks and looks cute in yellow.As of now,planning for Activa 125 DLX.
Same here, I might also take the plunge for an Active DLX but the Vespa was never brought into consideration because the only Vespa which I find Masculine is the Vespa S and its way beyond my budget. Hope fully I will be able to get the STD Active 125 if not the DLX version. All onto my parents now!

The question is WHY to spend so much of money for 100kms ride a month.

Your worry :

1. Performance : Even if you buy any 80cc scooter with 2 rider of weight around 65+65 kgs, it can climb on steep climb.

2. Fun to drive : Within city limit that too 100kms/month! How this can be possible?

3. Hassle free ownership : No worry! You can keep it for 10 years without any hassle, as it will run less.

4. Test rides : You will have to understand, suspension, power delivery, ergonomics by riding some friends, relative scooter or you can TD many options at different brand showroom.

My Advice:

If you looking for a scooter that will be used by you parent and you, it wouldn't be wise decision to buy a 125 cc hefty Activa. Also I would suggest not to buy an expensive Vespa for such usage.

TVS Jupiter, Suzuki Access, Honda iActiva, Mahindra Gusto are some better options at quite cheaper price that will serve you purpose.

Test Drive Mahindra Gusto or TVS Jupiter. I would have gone for any of these, if I would be in your place.

LOOK OUT : Gusto has a seat height adjustment feature, which may be useful in your case.

The question is WHY to spend so much of money for 100kms ride a month.

Your worry :

1. Performance : Even if you buy any 80cc scooter with 2 rider of weight around 65+65 kgs, it can climb on steep climb.
All points agreed with except for the one above. My Dio cannot climb a slightly inclined slope with two passengers ( 72 kg and 69 kg). I can bet that no 80 CC scooter will be able to climb an incline that too a steep one.

All points agreed with except for the one above. My Dio cannot climb a slightly inclined slope with two passengers ( 72 kg and 69 kg). I can bet that no 80 CC scooter will be able to climb an incline that too a steep one.
I have travelled to Sinhagad Fort on my girlfriends TVS Scooty [old] . I believe those who know the steep slopes at Sinhagad can imagine.

Since its a gear less scooter, so the torque generated at full acceleration in not much to climb a steep slope from the start. You will have to give some momentum to the scooter from some distance so that it can climb through.

Top Bottom