Buying My First Bike: Hero Xtreme / Hunk?

Thread Starter #1
i'm gonna buy my first bike. Can someone suggest me what are the things to look for?
And i have choices like Xtreme, Xtreme sports and hunk- all from hero moto corp.

Any other suggestions for models are welcomed.

Budget:70k-90k

Before the selection process, certain criteria to be listed.
1) What are you looking for? (Performance / Economy / Looks / Fun to drive, etc)
2) Your physics (more importantly the height)
3) Driving patern (City / highway / short trips / long drives)
a lot more.

Any other suggestions for models are welcomed.
We are here to confuse you with various other options [;)]

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Mr.Boss. [:)]
I'm six feet. looking for a decently performing and a decent economy bike with greater looks. mostly for city drive.

but kindly try to solve my issue rather complicating it[cry]. Its really confusing!!!

Suzuki Gixxer, Yamaha FZ 16/S, Honda Unicorn, Hero CBZ Xtreme, TVS Apache 180 ABS are the major choice left for you.

If you are looking for performance then Gixxer has 5/5 amongst above 4. For pillion rider, the seat is not that comfortable, and suspension need to tuned better for smother rides, so 4/5 on comfort.

If you are looking ride comfort then FZ has 5/5 for both rider and pillion, but a little weaker than Gixxer. So 4/5 for performance.

For TVS Apache 180 ABS, it is made those who are looking for exceptional power and technology at the price you mentioned. But you must get use to with the seating posture on this bike to feel comfort. ABS really works during the emergency breaking condition, and it is the fastest among all 4.

Unicorn is majorly built for those who are looking for 4/5 score on everything [power/passion/performance].

I would not suggest xtreme, as it not very well in performance/power. The seat is not that comfortable for both rider and pillion. Although Sport variant has given a little flat split seat but the 18" thin tyre doesn't suits the bike image.

Take a test ride and choose wisely.

I am also 6 feet and i own a 2010 CBZ Xtreme which i feel is a nice machine for tall persons. And recently i test drove the 2014 Xtreme for upgrading and it has all the features a bike could have than its competitors. Mainly its upright seating position which it offers than the competitors.

So go for the Xtreme which has digital display, engine immobilizer, etc. And i wouldn't suggest any other vehicle even the Hunk, as the Xtreme is much developed vehicle in terms of features than other vehicles in the market.

Don't get confused just go in for the Xtreme which is more unique in styling.

Thread Starter #7
I am also 6 feet and i own a 2010 CBZ Xtreme which i feel is a nice machine for tall persons. And recently i test drove the 2014 Xtreme for upgrading and it has all the features a bike could have than its competitors. Mainly its upright seating position which it offers than the competitors.

So go for the Xtreme which has digital display, engine immobilizer, etc. And i wouldn't suggest any other vehicle even the Hunk, as the Xtreme is much developed vehicle in terms of features than other vehicles in the market.

Don't get confused just go in for the Xtreme which is more unique in styling.
Thanks nmm mithra.

But i read that the new xtreme has lot of vibrations. also there is no protector for engine from water which could affect in rainy season.

how do you feel about those?

But i read that the new xtreme has lot of vibrations. also there is no protector for engine from water which could affect in rainy season.

how do you feel about those?
No, the vibration is not there even if you go upto 100 kmph. During the test drive i went in my CBZ and test drove the Xtreme there were many changes which i noticed they are:

1. I started the engine and i was still pressing the Electric start button to start the engine and then the salesman told me that it had already started.
2. The pillion seat height was too way high than my CBZ.
3. I liked the way it started with the rpm needle doing the full swipe.
4. I liked the way it behaved especially the gas charged suspension which was doing its job greatly in the potholes. And the better braking capability. (I test drove only the Single Disc Version)

Yes, there is no protector for engine from water but still the engine doesn't feel sluggish or stalling to start even when it is half submerged in water.

So there are no vibrations, only the Hunk has little vibration.

And can you please let me know the source from where you had read these types of reviews?

Thread Starter #9
Thanks nmm mithra.
User Reviews: Hero Xtreme 2014
This is were I read those when i searched for user reviews.

Is there any accessory available for Xtreme model to splash protect the engine?
How do you feel about the slender look from the front?
Also read that spare parts for this model isn't easily available. Is it so?
And what would you suggest- Xtreme or Xtreme sports?

1. No, there is no accessory available for Xtreme model. And there's nothing to worry in the case of protection for engine. There is no need to fear for the water splash to the engine.

2. Sleek and strikier when seen from different angles. This slender look adds more character to the bike.

3. No, all the spare parts are available when a customer demands it. For Example: Even many Hero Dealership has the stock for Karizma's cowl. And people from any hero motocorp dealership would get the spares from Delhi when they don't have it.

4. My personal suggestion or my personal liking would be the Jazz blue Xtreme or the Panther Black Xtreme. And i wouldn't suggest Xtreme Sports mainly because it is based on the previous Xtreme even though the Xtreme sports has a newly tuned engine. And the Xtreme has many features than the Xtreme Sports.

Last edited:
@Mechsar:
Going by your requirements, CBZ Xtreme is the motorcycle to go for. Hunk in itself is a fantastic product and offers a very comfortable ride too but CBZ in itself has near perfect balance of everything.

Since you are a six footer, that makes CBZ the best motorcycle for you in the segments, it has nice dimensions and everything is placed spot on, especially for a rider of your height. Low end torque is already good in a CBZ and so is the top end, err.. it has got a fantastic torque spread after all. It's a near square block after all with slightly taller stroke for better low end and the results are fantastic, a very silken power delivery where the motorcycle just pulls at any point of the rev range - that makes CBZ Xtreme a fantastic motorcycle.

Third comes the styling; Xtreme is a handsome looking animal I must say.

All in all, Xtreme suits all your requirements very well and you need not to be worried about vibrations, handling, ergonomics and component quality. It vibrates very less, has a very well sorted out handling (don't get fooled thinking its tires are skinny), everything is very ergonomically placed and the switchgear quality is very decent; built to last indeed.

All in all, go and buy it. Ride safe and always wear a helmet.

No need of one. Engines are not built a way that water can enter through joints. I have ridden my P220 even into 1-1.5 deep waters still never got any issue. In fact mine had around 36k kms on odo when I saw it last time and it was still on factory fitted clutch, tires, exhaust.. everything with no signs of anything going kaput. If you are still worried then talk to any mechanic and he will install a rubber flap just behind the front tire of your motorcycle to protect your engine from splashes.

As already mentioned by Mitra(he answered all the questions right [clap]), it looks different from different angles but one thing for sure; it looks handsome.

No issues at all, every big dealer keeps enough inventory of spares and Hero is quick in sending parts too in case a shortage or need arises.
Your call it is.

Last edited:
Xtreme is the way to go.
The + things:
+ More quality than Honda (yes, I am sure, take a 2010 Xtreme and 2012 Unicorn, see which has more rust, Honda rusts more because their components are now degraded in quality than before).
+ Will be a perfect fit for your height.
+ Every dealership has almost all spares.
+ Lesser spare parts cost and higher quality of spare parts when compared to Honda.
+ Looks Awesome!
+ Has some good features like LED Keyhole ring, engine immobilizer, funky digital console, etc etc.
+ Good ride quality.

The - things:
- Engine should have got more pep, Sports version is not enough.
- Seat is somewhat hard, requires some more cushioning.
- Seats are like playing in playground, the seats come down smooth from the tank and goes up smooth from rider's position.
- Braking is crap with that drums at rear, go for rear disc brake version.

Congrats for your new bike!

Last edited:

Top Bottom