Buying New Bike For Rs.1.2 Lacs. Confused.

Thread Starter #1
Hi.

I know this is pretty old question, but I got no other option.

I'm thinking of buying a new bike. My requirements are:

1)40+ mileage

2)enough power

3)less maintenance (in the long run)

4)last but not the least. GOOD LOOKS of course

I have shortlisted some - Fzs v2, Gixxer, Fazer F1 v2.

I like Fazer v2 and Fzs fi v2, but I'm confused.

I checked online and found that Fazer 150 has better

mileage. than Fazer F1 v2 in spite of Blue core tech. Is it true?

Also the tyre and the pillion seat on Fzs v2 is better

than that on Fazer v2. Is it?

But of late I started looking into the 200cc + category. I like P200Ns.But what I'm really worried about is Bajaj product quality. Friends say, after 2 or 3 years they become. unusable and have no resale value. Is this true?

I googled and found some great gonna be launched bike. Bajaj p200ss, again worried about quality issues. And the awesome HERO HX250r. which is a monster. Here, I'm worried about price and mileage.

Should I wait for the new models or go for the existing ones? Also I'm not interested in Re bullets.

This is gonna be my first bike and my Budget is at max 1.2lakhs.

Please help me.. I know the bike gurus have got. The right solution for Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bikes you have shortlisted are well suited to your requirements the fz blue core is a new addition which has fuel injection which increases the mileage but reduces power by 1 bhp(not a big deal)fz is a great handling,no problem bike but slightly weak in performance.

gixxer may have slightly improved performance but the service network of suzuki can be a problem and the bike is quite new to the market so it's reliability can't be measured.

pulsar 200 NS is the best performing bike here. it's reliable and service is well spread it's a good choice.
Apache rtr with abs can also be considered if not satisfied with any other model

As far as I know, HX will be priced some where near 1.45 ex show room. with the current trend, you can opt for pulsar 200ns, karizma zmr, pulsar 220

for 1.2 lacks
i strongly suggest 200ns! fits into all your requirements.
will return you 35+ mileage, with far better engine and torque!.

if you want to stick to 150cc segment
Fzs v2, Gixxer, Fazer F1 v2.

go for gixxer

Yeah! NS200 is better fits in your requirement. The only worry about this bike is little taller for both. You must be minimum 5'7" to have comfortable riding position. If not then, I would suggest better to drop the NS and pick FZ series or Gixxer.

I would also recommended TVS Apache 180 ABS. Some people do not like the riding position of this bike, but still you can TD and then decide it.

If you like to have bike with body kits or covered bike then Karizma is the option for you. But personally I don't feel the Hero Karizma is better VFM product. Neither the aesthetic are quite proportionate like extra plastic on thin wheels.

You may try Honda CBR 150/KTM 200 if you extend your budget a little.

Thread Starter #7
But hw about the resale value of P200Ns? What I am really worried about is maintenence problems in the long run. Bajaj are notorious for their poor build quality and resulting High maintenance cost. Does the P200Ns follow this Bajaj legacy (have engine problems after 2/3yrs)?

I'm 6 feet tall and. I think the NS will be comfortable.

Last edited:
Hi.

I know this is pretty old question,....
Fzs v2, Gixxer, Fazer F1 v2.

I like Fazer v2 and Fzs fi v2, but I'm confused.

I checked online and found that Fazer 150 has better

mileage. than Fazer F1 v2 in spite of Blue core tech. Is it true?

Also the tyre and the pillion seat on Fzs v2 is better

than that on Fazer v2. Is it?
But of late I started looking into the 200cc + category. I like P200Ns....

HERO HX250r. which is a monster.
Please help me.. I know the bike gurus have got. The right solution for Me.
While fz and fazer have incredible handling and stability, the extrawide tyres did pull it down on performance, even then its no less fun to drive these.
Fazer is around 5kgs heavier, so you can expect the lesser mileage and pickup compared to FZ. But here is where you need to set out your priorities, fazer will be much more fun on long rides, on highways, where you can cut through and the front fairing blocks the wind from hitting you partially. While FZ is a street naked, it will be nimble and easy to twist and turn in the traffic. So see where you want to ride more.
Now talking about 200cc segment, you are moving to a completely higher segment, with you budget I think 200ns and apache 180 with abs karizma zmr can be considered.
200 ns is the best looker here, has got good performance. Quality is decent and totally depends on how you maintain it. I have friends who have pulsars as old as 10 years, which still have not got any problems. With more than a decade experience and a heart inspired from KTM, i think you can trust the machine to serve you well.
Apache is a wild horse, tame it and you will love it. Its got features that will humble bikes of a segment higher. ABS, Dual disk for under a lakh. Cant get better. But i would advice you to wait for nextgen apaches coming out with michelin tyres. The current one also suffers with vibration issues, which might be resolved in the next gen.Will have to wait and watch.
Karizma ZMR: A very good tourer, they have taken the honda tech and added some more EBR features like the tail light etc, but its not quite a looker in my opinion. Looks are subjective.

SS200 might be priced 10-15k higher than 200ns which means it might come around 1.25k OTR. HZ250- first performance bike completely designed by hero, frankly i dont know where to set my expectations.
If you can wait, then wait till these bike get released, the scene can only get better, apart from the price point of view.

Whenever you are buying a new bike, stop thinking about resale value. because every bike that you and others have mentioned are class products and proven. Instead buy a bike, after taking a test drive of all bikes and maintain the bike well and it will fetch you a good resalve value as there is a buyer for every bike.

My neighbour has a splendour 2014 model and he rips the bike, raise the accelerator and then shift gears and ride rashly and complain the bike providing only 50kmpl, my fellow employee has a duke 200 and he rides through one of the congested roads in city where anything above 30 is literally impossible( if you wanna live the next day) complains about engine heating. bottomline: Choose a bike depending your needs, ride pattern and roads, do a study of spares cost, maintenance charges, consumable charges and then buy the bike.

Pulsar 200ns: the best pulsar till date it sounds refined than any pulsar. downside is ride quality and small issues

Duke 200: A angry bird, mad acceleration, downside: low fuel tank capacity, fork oil seal leak when ridden roughly on bad roads, low profile tyres wear out quickly.

Karizma r/zmr: the best touring bike, love or hate design, personally love the new zmr, it's a punching bag for lack of power when it had design and refinement, now it has power it's a punching bag for a looks and refinement, the most fuel efficient 200cc bike, peace of mind guranteed with hero ownership

if you are worried about headlight low though, osram bilux h4 55/60w is a direct fit. Fit NGK G power the mileage and accelration improved, RTR brake pad is a stright fit for front brake disc you may score the disk, Ninja 250 brake pad is also a straight fit as OEM pad cost 1200 and ninja pads cost 1600, it deliver ruthless stopping power. i'm using ninja pads on my karizma. cheaper option is sriram apline brake pads for karizma r/zmr at 135rs

Last edited:
2014 Karizma Zmr : It has good looks and it is now more sportier than the outgoing model, it has more power but it has a high seating pillion seat. (So it is not going to be comfortable for the people in the pillion).

So I suggest you to go in for the Yamaha Fazer Fi.

@ Anand 2

almost same irony like you buddy

searching for a good bike

test drove pulsar NS 200 today

didn't feel the smoothness and power of a 200 CC engine as u stated the build quality seemed to be an issue. the only spot NS 200 takes is the looks and the price tag associated with it

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to suggest you to have a look at Suzuki Gixxer SF Moto GP edition ! The fairing on the bike is exceptional for its price range ! The performance of the bike too is good which is similar and better than FZ in all aspects ! Suzuki are expanding and the service coverage area will be adequate in the near future.. Give it a test drive and i hope that you will like it..

Top Bottom