Suzuki Gixxer vs Yamaha FZ-S

Thread Starter #1
Hello bros,
One of my friend is torn between Gixxer and FZ-S. Both are pretty evenly matched based on the reviews and comparos, even the price difference between them comes around 2k onroad pune which further adds to confusion. He is getting a quote of 84k for Gixxer and 86k for FZ-S onroad.

He will be using them for office commute mostly (20KMs/day). He prefers the gixxer for its looks but concerned about the aftersales service. Apart from that he doesn't have any specific preference.

Kindly suggest which one to go for.

Even I too had such dilemma while buying a bike for me.

I was not concerned about the quality ride much coz there is not much difference in them. Mileage difference is not more than 5 kmpl. Even tyre, suspension are almost the same. You need to decide it base on its look.

Suzuki Gixxer

+ Powerful than FZ
+ better torque

Yamaha FZ

+ proven engine
+ multiple options [FZ, FZ-S, FZ-fi, FZ-S fi]
+ Better comfort on back seat [well this was the point I decide to buy FZ]

If you are not worried about the back seat then go for Gixxer.

GiXXer is better than FZ-S in almost every aspect.One biggest problem is the After-sales service and Spare Parts availability and prices.They are quite difficult to get and the very limited Dealership Network and also Parts cost and even Normal Service will cost a Bomb.I can also recommend your friend to look at the Up-Coming Hero Xtreme with 15 Bhp which will be launched in a Few Days.Why I recommend this is because of Awesome Honda Reliability and Great Fit and Finish including Great Build Quality.Very well refined 150cc mill will also be coming with new feautures to give a tough fight with the FZ-S and the GiXXer.

Thread Starter #5
gixxer are better then fz-s in power,torque ,brake and also mileage(63.5kmpl)
May be but in real world conditions, I believe its almost negligible.

Even I too had such dilemma while buying ...Yamaha FZ[/B]
+ proven engine

Thanks for the info about back seat comfort levels, will convey this to him.

GiXXer is ....fight with the FZ-S and the GiXXer.
Yeah, after sales service is still a mystery.
Service costs a bomb?[surprise] I hope it will cost similar to other 150cc rivals.

If it's between FZ-s ans gixxer, it's FZ for the word YAMAHA. Yamaha is a well established brand in india compared to suzuki.

other bikes are xtreme sports, apache rtr.

increase the price bracket by another 8k, you are in the 200cc segement of karizma r and p220. If the bike is going to be used for long drives and for speeds above 90 for long durations, a 200cc would be the best option.

Out if these 2 I would prefer FZ to be on the safer side. No offense to Gixxer / Suzuki. Suzuki is good at keeping the quality standards, but only drawback I could see is Gixxer is new to the market and Suzuki's spread in India is not comparable to that of Yamaha.

I would highly recommend to go in for the Yamaha FZ-S, but if your friend likes to stand out from the crowd then Suzuki Gixxer would be a better choice.

Also please Test drive the 2014 Hero Xtreme as it has many features like mobile charging point under the seat, digital console, engine immobilizer, side stand warning light, etc. or wait for the Hero xtreme sports.

Even I too had such dilemma while buying a bike for me.

I was not concerned about the quality ride much coz there is not much difference in them. Mileage difference is not more than 5 kmpl. Even tyre, suspension are almost the same. You need to decide it base on its look.
Though suspension looks same, tuning may be different. For me 5 km/ltr difference is a big difference. As per my experinace, in our indian Suzuki vs yamaha bikes,

At the time of a sudden acceleration, Yamaha will given outstanding performance, but you may feel [cry] when you look at the milage differnce.Suzuki will not show you a huge difference even though you done a sudden rip.I am not sure about this is the case with FZ vs Gixxer.

Suzuki Gixxer

+ Powerful than FZ
+ better torque

Yamaha FZ

+ proven engine

I dont agree that FZ had good back seat comfort. FZ rear mono shock is too hard compared to unicorn or other monoshocks. I cant even sit for 5 km distance in FZ back seat in local roads.My GS 150r back seat is 10 times better than Fz even after it is running more than 73K KM. Though i didnt ride in Gixxer back seat, i can tell you that it will be better than FZ from my experiance on all other suzuki bikes like Gs,zeus,hayate and gixxer riding.

GiXXer is better than FZ-S in almost every aspect.One biggest problem is the After-sales service and Spare Parts availability and prices.They are quite difficult to get and the very limited Dealership Network and also Parts cost and even Normal Service will cost a Bomb.I can also recommend your friend to look at the Up-Coming Hero Xtreme with 15 Bhp which will be launched in a Few Days.Why I recommend this is because of Awesome Honda Reliability and Great Fit and Finish including Great Build Quality.Very well refined 150cc mill will also be coming with new feautures to give a tough fight with the FZ-S and the GiXXer.
Suzuki spare parts are not that costlier and it has good quality too. Service charge is also way too less compared to Hero & Honda. The problem is availiblity of ASS and service quality.Though xtreme sports and these 2 bikes are in 150 cc segment, In looks, Xtreme is a commuter bike and FZ and Gixxer are naked bikes which had better stability and brakes due to the wider tires and design. In case just a 150 cc commuter bike is the requirment, then it is worth waiting for the new unicorn 160, which will be launched very soon.

May be but in real world conditions, I believe its almost negligible.

Thanks for the info about back seat comfort levels, will convey this to him.

Yeah, after sales service is still a mystery.
Service costs a bomb?[surprise] I hope it will cost similar to other 150cc rivals.
Suzuki bikes are built to last and Gixxer is no different i guess. It will give better milage and better back seat comfort. Service/spare parts charges are less compared to Hero/honda and even yamaha too. I heard for FZ & R15 yamaha ASS charging premium rates for service and spares too. Check out Suzuki has a good ASS near by your friend's area. If available go for Gixxer. You dont have to worry about that later.

I would highly recommend to go in for the Yamaha FZ-S, but if your friend likes to stand out from the crowd then Suzuki Gixxer would be a better choice.

Also please Test drive the 2014 Hero Xtreme as it has many features like mobile charging point under the seat, digital console, engine immobilizer, side stand warning light, etc. or wait for the Hero xtreme sports.
I agree to stand out from crowd go for Suzuki Gixxer, When you see gixxer on th road from rear it looks like some imported bike going ahead.
In case milage matters and need only a commuter bike there are better options in the market.

BTW this is my 1000nd post in TAI[:D]

Last edited:
I was talking about new FZ seat. I think you may have driven old FZ. Also comparing the mono shocks with dual regular suspension, Dual will be good if provided they are 'Gas Filled Shock Absorbers’.
You can tune the mono suspension with the adjuster provided to suit your comfort level.

Good Characteristics of bike seat:
The inclination angle of seat, width, cushion, flatness [or shape that keep your "Coccyx/Caudal vertebrae" bone untouched by the seat. - A little specific] is also responsible for comfort.

Anti-Slip seat cover adds one level to the comfortness. ["Ergonomics"]

Position of the rear foot rest is also responsible for the same. Its should not be too high/low or too ahead/back

Attachments

See the new report from MotorBeam Guys. The GiXXer which is barely months old is accumulation rusts, I.e. quality issues. So what now? I lost my trust on Suzuki.

See the new report from MotorBeam Guys. The GiXXer which is barely months old is accumulation rusts, I.e. quality issues. So what now? I lost my trust on Suzuki.
There might be some problem from user side and some on the manufacturer. But Yes Suzuki is a good company you can trust.

The only thing is all companies cannot make everything BEST.

You know a thing? Suzuki has always been a favourite for me from the Shoguns to the current GiXXeR, I love all of them but the rusting issue has been by many says the MotorBeam Report.

Go for GiXXeR if you don't live near beachside areas like Chennai because of the salty air, it might have got rusted. Who knows what happened?

Bro,I won't recommend the GiXXer now when Especially There are Quality Issues.Shoguns never had good build quality(Known one of the worst after the KB series) but Samurai had one of the Best Build.Heck ! A 15 Year Old Samurai didn't get Rusted but a Brand new GiXXeR gets Rusted ? Something is Fishy.Suzuki,Hope you don't take us for granted like others.Also Guys,I saw a Faired version of GiXXeR that was being tested.

Here's the link : Spied: Suzuki Gixxer Fully Faired Version Testing In India - Overdrive

Hope Suzuki Recalls and fixes these issues and then release the faired ones.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sorry for updating the thread late.

Finally, GiXXer it is !!

Its been 1 week since he bought and have clocked close to 200+Kms till now. Initial impressions were positive. So far no issues have been reported.

@Rusting issue : Havent noticed yet, will ask him to keep an eye.

The bike looks much more attractive in person and oh boy! the rear looks best

Havent got a chance to get the picture, will update them once I get.

Top Bottom