Considering Buying TVS Apache RTR 180

Thread Starter #1
hello
i am planning on buying apache rtr 180 abs this new year.
this is going to be my first geared bike! excited :)
i read in a couple of reviews that stock tires arent that good so please suggest if i should ge the tires replaced as soon as i buy the bike?
my usage will be city commute daily highway runs of about 20 kms to college and occassional road trips! :)
also what care should be taken for new motorcycle?

Re: apache rtr180

That's awesome Mr.KB1010.Yes,Tyres are pathetic on the RTR.They are enough for normal riding in City and Highways.I suggest you change your tyres after your Warranty is Over or I am afraid new tyres that are not from TVS will void the Warranty.Not sure though.You should take care of the Engine by perfectly following the Run-in Period Rules and not ripping it before finishing the Run-in period.RTR is a Dedicated Track machine and she was born in there
She sure needs some TLC but after the Run-in,Have fun with her.Thanks

Thread Starter #3
well first off I am just 19 so don't call me MR! makes me feel older :')
the run in period instructions will be given in the bike manual?

No doubt the bike is excellent. One of the best handling bikes next to r15, stock tires do the job well, unless you are looking for serious riding to exhibit your skills. a upgrade to pirelli would be good if so, downside is low life. top speed is around 118-122 baring the speed error which shows even 140.

negatives of rtr:

* noisy engine and vibes past 100.
* seating posting, suspension not good for long travel.

I would suggest the ABS version for you.

other bikes to be considered are the tried and tested pulsar 220 and karizma r.

RTR is a good option but do you have some experience with geared bikes? Because, RTR is a devil in terms of power and RTR in wrong (beginner) hands will KILL. It has the power to scare out even the P220 initially.

If you don't have experience with geared bikes, then borrow you friends' COMMUTER bikes, learn on them, ride a 125cc bike, and then a 150cc bike, learn to handle the power and then go the the BEAST, RTR 180!!!

Thread Starter #6
If you don't have experience with geared bikes, then borrow you friends' COMMUTER bikes, learn on them, ride a 125cc bike, and then a 150cc bike, learn to handle the power and then go the the BEAST, RTR 180!!!

well i have been riding my friends sz-s for a quite while and i can drive 150 cc bkes eaily so no problem [;)]

d

other bikes to be considered are the tried and tested pulsar 220 and karizma r.

yeah i am going for the abs version!
i hope it mes below 1lac on road or else i might have to consider non abs[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt the bike is excellent. One of the best handling bikes next to r15, stock tires do the job well, unless you are looking for serious riding to exhibit your skills. a upgrade to pirelli would be good if so, downside is low life. top speed is around 118-122 baring the speed error which shows even 140.

negatives of rtr:

* noisy engine and vibes past 100.
* seating posting, suspension not good for long travel.

other bikes to be considered are the tried and tested pulsar 220 and karizma r.[/QUOTE+91 81 29 949494]

I won't recommend Apache, you may buy it if you can really handle and manage upon TVS niggles.
I agree with pravin regarding same-
Suspension is pathetic.
Riding position is uncomfortable.
Frequent issues with chain set up.

Suspension is pathetic.
Riding position is uncomfortable.
It isn't a design flaw, rather designed in that manner for some purpose. Few hate it and few go for it (I fit in 2nd category)
Suspension is tuned for better handling rather than ride, and riding position isn't designed for touring. If one prefers a good ride characteristics and a touring posture, RTR isn't the choice.

@KB1010:

If ABS is a 'must' then go for Apache 180, else P220 is a way better option if you need a responsive motorcycle with a fine balance of everything.

And if you need handling, sharp brakes and racy performance, then P200 NS is the motorcycle to go for.

P200 NS betters Apache 180 in the following fields:
1) Suspension
2) Performance
3) Brakes
4) Ride quality
5) Handling
6) Fuel Economy

A very matured motorcycle which is easy to handle in city as well as on highways and has the guts to outperform anything in the segment.

Apache RTR has got a feeling - thanks to its low end torque but the feeling gets vanished quickly over 6k rpm while the P200 NS has got enough torque to keep you happy in city and once the revs build up on highways, it will simply plant a grin on your face. Apache feels quick but Pulsar twins are actually quicker, if you twist a Pulsar 220/200 NS hard, then Apache can't be seen even in the mirrors - that's where the difference lies.

Hence, go for Apache only if ABS is a must, else P200 NS is a way better option.

I second TSiVipul, as 200NS is a far better bike than 180 in every way. Its worth the price difference.

Btw, don't change the stock tyres. Try to use them for somedays since stock tyres may be inferior but not that much worse in my view.

Thread Starter #11
@KB1010:

If ABS is a 'must' then go for Apache 180, else P220 is a way better option if you need a responsive motorcycle with a fine balance of everything.
yeah for my dad abs in must. i was going to go for 150cc bike but because of abs dad is ready to pay! (maybe because i had an accident with maestro when a dog suddenly came on road and i pressed full brakes and skidded)[cry] and now he is like you have no option but 180 abs after seeing the abs video on youtube! [confused]

It isn't a design flaw, rather designed in that manner for some purpose. Few hate it and few go for it (I fit in 2nd category)
Suspension is tuned for better handling rather than ride, and riding position isn't designed for touring. If one prefers a good ride characteristics and a touring posture, RTR isn't the choice.
Suspension is a characteristic of handling na sir [roll]

I remember Suspension is a system & handling is one of the characteristics [roll]
Suspension

Automobile suspensions have many variable characteristics, which are generally different in the front and rear and all of which affect handling. Some of these are: spring rate, damping, straight ahead camber angle, camber change with wheel travel, roll center height and the flexibility and vibration modes of the suspension elements. Suspension also affects unsprung weight.
Many cars have suspension that connects the wheels on the two sides, either by a sway bar and/or by a solid axle.

Source- Wikipedia

Not arguing with you sir,this is from my knowledge[;)]

Top Bottom