Royal Enfield Thunderbird or Something Else?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy a New bike and I like TB very much for its looks and comfort.

my only worry is Maintenance!!, heard from most of the RE owners, that the bike from RE needs extra maintenance for sure.

I'm a guy who don't like to visit the service center apart from regular service.

I know there is a huge improvement in RE bikes.

But still I want to know how reliable it is?

Last edited:
Although I do not own one, but I would suggest you to look for alternatives. Agreed its reliability has increased in recent times, perhaps a RE owner would be better suited to comment on reliability.

Thread Starter #7
Although I do not own one, but I would suggest you to look for alternatives. Agreed its reliability has increased in recent times, perhaps a RE owner would be better suited to comment on reliability.
Yes Max, I'm also looking for Alternatives, but still heart says TB[frustration]

Hey appu
You should ask Sam dinkar you will get a proper poetic response
Ok Bro,thanks

If you share your exact requirement Could share our thoughts :-)
First, I want to know whether RE TB is Maintenance Free or not!

And my requirement is, I need a bike for daily commuting as well as for occasional highway ride. Per week, I'm riding around 400Kms in Chennai. So, I need a maintenance free bike like my current HH Glamour(10Yrs Old).

This question needs a benchmark appu.
Comparing with your current ride (HH Glamour) RE TB isn't reliable, comparing with a decade old RE, current gen is reliable.

Jokes apart. Reliability of RE (of course, for any brand) is directly proportional to the quality of regular maintenance.
Thank you Boss,

Yes, regular maintenance is required for any brand. But RE needs more attention apart from regular maintenance[frustration]

What a question!

Is the earth a rectangle?

Is milk brown?

Is Fiat doing well in India?

Is Royal Enfield Thunderbird maintenance free?

Stay away. Till you can't hear the thump anymore.
As Iron Rock said, I got a poetic response[clap]

Thanks for your Quick response Sam.

After hearing your comments, I started looking for another bike.
Now started researching on CBR 150R.

You need a maintenance free bike?
Then go for any Honda eyes closed.
You chose RE. It shows your driving style. Buy yourself a CBR and be happy and it's an awesome tourer!

The name describe it all - Royal - Everything need (attention/patience/money/time) at that Quantity...Royal.
In my locality saw one user who sold his almost new Thunderbird and bought 1st Gen Frazer when it released.

As Iron Rock said, I got a poetic response[clap]

If you are buying a bullet, you will buy it anyways - a bullet owner is beyond the nitty gritties! Sam owns one that's just as old as him - so just the perfect person to answer this beyond the poetic abilities (Dont call yourself young anymore Sam [;)] )

I don't own a tb. We have a electra, cbz, karizma, activa, pulsar 150(sold) as our rides.

RE is a different bike, It gives you unexpected troubles, identifying a mech or a good SVC is double the trouble, finding spares it's a entirely different burden. the electra is the first of all the bikes listed above but it has done the least kms, cbz has done three time and karizma has done 2 times the number of kms electra has done

when you fix all the troubles and ride the bike, you are the king until the next issue crops up.

I would say No to CBR 150, you can go for cbr250/cbr300( if launched in india). or wait for the hx250. i'm on the verge of selling my cbz.

And my requirement is, I need a bike for daily commuting as well as for occasional highway ride. Per week, I'm riding around 400Kms in Chennai. So, I need a maintenance free bike like my current HH Glamour(10Yrs Old).

For Long drive it is cruiser that would give you painfree drive. I own a 220CC Avenger. I would suggest the same. For me it is giving 50KMPL, as my driving style is anticipatory.

The new avenger, not like older versions, is designed for City riding as well. You will not believe the agility of this long vehicle will beat any other bike, with the added value of very good stability. Company says the Avenger will give FE of 35 to 45KMPL (I am always lucky My first Bike TVS champ gave me 75KMPL, My Swift giving 18KMPL, Discover gave 75KMPL, and Avenger is giving 50KMPL).

This bike has its limitations - this is strict no race bike, this is for sedate driving. This is purely a cruiser. This goes well with decent disciplined driving. You will love to drive at 50 - 60kmph range. Relaxed, Enjoying the cool breeze, observing everything as they passing by slowly, sometimes you tend to sleep also. Break is good if it is 50-60KMPH, otherwise sure you will kiss the holy motherland due to longer wheal base.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are RICH ![;)] Then go for Suzuki Inazuma. It comes second to none in quality and is also a maintenance free bike(I dont own an Inazuma, just online reviews I read) But you should keep an eye on the spare parts.

Top Bottom