Should I Buy a Bike or Scooter? Budget Rs.85K

Thread Starter #1
I m confused between a bike and a scooter. I am 5'10 feet tall and a hefty person of 95kg. 95 percent of the bike running will be in the city. My budget is Rs 85000 max and my needs are :-
- A 2 wheeler suitable for a youngster
- Decent FE
- Comfortable seat
- Hassle free, less maintainence
- Easy gearshift (since I am a novice in riding bikes)
- Innovative features are welcome
Will buy the vehicle next year but will start shortlisting from now on. We already have a 2013 TB500 at home but I don't prefer to ride it since :-
- Very less FE
- Bulky and less maneuverability in city
- Suitable for middle aged people

Re: Bike Or Scooter?

95 percent of the bike running will be in the city.
I am a novice in riding bikes
Scooter should be the best bet.

Will buy the vehicle next year but will start shortlisting from now on.
By that time there may be a lot of new models / brands flooded in the market or many scooters that are available in market today may get vanished.

I m confused between a bike and a scooter. I am 5'10 feet tall and a hefty person of 95kg. 95 percent of the bike running will be in the city. My budget is Rs 85000 max and my needs are :-
- A 2 wheeler suitable for a youngster
- Decent FE
- Comfortable seat
- Hassle free, less maintainence
- Easy gearshift (since I am a novice in riding bikes)
- Innovative features are welcome
Will buy the vehicle next year but will start shortlisting from now on. We already have a 2013 TB500 at home but I don't prefer to ride it since :-
- Very less FE
- Bulky and less maneuverability in city
- Suitable for middle aged people
"The best thing ever made by God is two wheels with an engine placed between them"
Hence all you need is a good motorcycle with a good low end torque - simple.[glasses]
No scooty[anger]

• A 2 wheeler suitable for a youngster: Of course a motorcycle.
  • Decent FE: A 150cc motorcycle
  • Comfortable seat: A comfortable motorcycle, scooties get a screwed up suspension so they are actually never comfy despite of having a good seat.
  • Hassle free, less maintainence: Definitely a motorcycle.
  • Easy gearshift (since I am a novice in riding bikes): A motorcycle with good body control, planted low speed ride, good low end torque and good control.
  • Innovative features are welcome: Nothing but a motorcycle.
  • My budget is Rs 85000 max: Yamaha FZ16 V2.0 is the one to go for. Comfy to ride, good low end torque, fantastic control and with the FI it is actually a tech laden thing which will always keep you happy.

Mr.TSIVipul is right.But Mr.Boss is also right as A Scooter would be better if you will be riding it 90% on City.I would strongly support Mr.Boss right here as a Bike would not be a good or an Economical choice just for City.For the Scooter,I would suggest you the Wego and Jupiter and they both are known to be one of the Best 110cc Scooters out there.But again if you feel Bike will be good,Mr.TSIVipul is right as the FZ FI V2 will be the Best choice in your Budget.I also suggest you to consider the Apache RTR 160 and the Apache RTR 180.Both these bikes are good and Many people underrate them like they are cery Uncomfy and also NVH Levs are Bad but please trust me,It ain't for the New Apache RTRs.TVS has worked very hard to bring down the Vibrations even from Idling RPM and all the way upto the Redline Mark.They have also worked on the Seats,Seating Cushioning and Quality and has a Completely new Cushioning and Seat Design and is Undoubtedly More Comfy than the Older Apaches.The RTR 160 is also fasterand is also known to be the 2nd Most powerful 150cc after the Yammie R15.The Mileage is also higher than the FZ FI V2.You can expect about 50Kmpl to 60 Kmpl on the RTR 160 and 45Kmpl to 50Kmpl on the RTR 180.I think that ain't the Best but It ain't the Worst too.So

Scooter - TVS Wego,Jupiter
Bike - TVS Apache RTR 160,Apache RTR 180 or the Yamaha FZ FI V2

This is just my Suggestion.

A bike would be the best bet.
My suggestion would be: Suzuki GS150R !
It suits yoour height, has a gear indicator, has smooth gearshifts, has a lenghty wide comfortable seat.
Styling is conservative and has all the innovative features that an 150cc bike in the lot has.

OT: @TSIVipul, I made that proverb as my signature.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

I too think I should go for a scooter and after some years of riding scooter I can ride a bike. Planning to go for Hero Maestro since
- Well under my budget
- Metal body
- Similar looks and engine of Activa
- Hero service centre is near to my house. Honda showroom in our area is closed and the Yamaha showroom is on the verge of closing.
- Won't prefer Suzuki or Mahindra since their A.S.S is way too far

Hero Maestro neither has a metal body nor it has similar looks of activa. The Maestro looks very bolder than Activa and Activa has metal body. Even the engine of the Maestro has a different tune and not similar to activa.

If you want a good scootter with metal body, Try Wego.
TVS Jupiter is also a better choice.

Last edited:

Can you give some more details like whether you are a sedate/sane driver or an insane/spirited driver ? Because you can buy a GS150R or an FZ Fi V2 if you drive sedate or buy an Apache RTR 180 ABS or extend 5k more and buy a Pulsar 200 NS. Choose wisely.

Since you are a hefty person, i would recommend a 150cc bike for you. my freinds dad is a hefty person( 5.11 and 98kg), he got activa for the sake of ease driving and good mileage. But trust me he is a getting a FE of 40-45 only due to his weight. When i rode the activa, the same engine gave a FE of 55 in traffic conditons. add a pillion to the weight of a hefty rider, it would be a night mare.

he is cribbing about it now. he says he should gone for a splendour or discover. at 85k and if you can extend by 5k, you have wide variety of 150cc bikes to choose from.

going by your height and weight, would recommend Hero xtreme/sports, gs150r, FZ v2 if you don't mind spending 90k. all of the bikes if driven sanely, will give you 45-50 in city and you also you get that extra pulling power when you want to close on a gap in traffic and also when riding with a pillion. got a chance of ride new xtreme, the bike pulls madly.

if you can shell out another 5k, you are in the 200cc segment of p220 and karizma r.

Thread Starter #12
Guys will buy Hero Maestro this month itself and will make full payment. Planning to go for blue colour. On road price is 59,700 inclusive of RTO, Insurance and other taxes. I am going to buy a bike after 2 years since I am a newbie to 2 wheelers. Will keep on updating you guys. Also, can you help me in getting a PDI list and also help me in decoding the VIN of Hero Maestro?

Last edited:
In case you are looking for a bike, Dont go for GS 150r for your city use( I own one). It is not designed for city purpose. As Vipul said go for FZ or the competitor from Suziki, Gixxer. Both these naked bikes designed for streets. Though both looks great, good power and comfort, they will give less milage compared to other 150cc bikes. Maintenance may little high too.

I suggest not to avoid these japanese bikes because of only reason of closing the ASS nearly. If your a youngster with that budget, these bikes are worth to buy in city. Still you prefer Scooters check out options from vespa. other wise Activa 125/dio from Honda.

Last edited:
Guys will buy Hero Maestro this month itself and will make full payment. Planning to go for blue colour. On road price is 59,700 inclusive of RTO, Insurance and other taxes. I am going to buy a bike after 2 years since I am a newbie to 2 wheelers. Will keep on updating you guys. Also, can you help me in getting a PDI list and also help me in decoding the VIN of Hero Maestro?
I think it's a good option!
I also heard that Maestro got new dual tone colour schemes and got a telescopic suspension at front.

Top Bottom