Used CBR250 or Wait For 2015 CBR150/250?

Thread Starter #1
Your Budget: 1.5L (can extend to 1.7L)

New or Used: New preferred, open for used options too.

Your Location: Gorakhpur and new delhi

Top Five Priorities:
1. Should be a CBR Repsol edition [clap]
2. Comfortable
3. Reliable
4. Low maintenance costs [service and spare parts]
5. Should be able to operate on standard petrol as high octane petrol isn't available in my city.

For What Purpose: Regular commute. Maybe long rides once a year (500KMs)

Type of Bodystyle: Faired

I'm 5 feet 10 inches and weigh b/w 85-100KGs. I currently ride a 2011 FZ-S with 12,000 KMs on odo. I have been drooling over CBR250R repsol edition since i saw one in a local showroom. After 2 years of saving pocket money and part time jobs, i have managed to collect Rs.1.5L for my next bike. I need suggestions from fellow members about the following three options:

1. Wait for 2015 CBR150R repsol edition [twin lamp, CBR300 inspired design]
pros: more fuel efficient than 250, Cheaper to buy and run, high revving engine.
cons: Doesn't feel a worthy upgrade over FZ,

2. Wait for 2015 CBR250R repsol edition [twin lamp, CBR300 inspired design]
pros: Feels better choice compared to 150 due to more power, 6000KMs/6 months service interval
cons: Expensive, repsol edition might be exclusive to ABS variant which is 60k above my budget.

3. Buy a used CBR250R repsol edition [current gen, VFR inspired design]
pros: non ABS repsol edition are selling as low as 1-1.2L, ABS variants are within my current budget. 6000KMs/6 months service interval
cons: Never bought a used bike before, hate VFR inspired design, lack of availability in used market.

ps: I am not in a hurry so i can wait as long as 1.5 years.
pps: I am still a student so can't afford high maintenance costs (i Pay Rs.1100-1300 every 70 days for my current bike's servicing costs). How much servicing a CBR250 costs? Its long 6000KMs/6 months service interval is a big advantage for me as long as each service cost less than 2500.

AMG

Suspended
Re: Used CBR250 or wait for 2015 CBR150/250 ?

Since you hate the current design, then why are you even considering buying it?

You seem to have saved the money with a lot of hard work, and do what appeals to your heart.

superhornet said:
How much servicing a CBR250 costs? Its long 6000KMs/6 months service interval is a big advantage for me as long as each service cost less than 2500.
I can help here...

After free service coupon over you will be paying as follows (Just Serviced my 250R STD at 28/09/2014, rates are current)

1.Labour Charge a.k.a Service charge - 500/-
2.Engine Oil Filter - 284/-
3. Engine Oil (Honda Throttle 10w30) - 696 x 2 = 1392/- (1.8 Liter)

(Optional)
4. Air Filter =308 /- (Dirty As Hell)
5. Injector Cleaned & Tank Washed after 3 years = 600/- (As my bike suffering Starting problem now solved)
6.Bolts and Washer = 40/-

The first three points are mandatory for any CBR250R bike assuming there is no Accident or anything. There is coolant top up needed too - usually that is free assuming you got good rapot build with SVC guys, but when need flashing thats is another 300-400/- in total. Add another 250/- for chain wash & lube which any Honda SVC keep insisting to any new CBR owner.

Last year Engine Oil Filter Cost 250/- and Honda Throttle each bottle cost 530/-.

-----------------------------
Tyre Rear Contigo will last 15k Kms,

Change to same or Cross ply will cost you 4000/- & Radial Tyre will cost 6500/-

Last edited:

Well, you can wait for 1.5 years more. In that case, why not collect some more money and go for the Yamaha R25 but considering you are a student, it goes quite above the budget.
Me too is not a fan of the current design of CBR250R but the price at which it comes, there is no other 250cc bike in the market which is faired. Also, look at Mahindra Mojo once but then it ain't faired as well! .

Service and maintenance costs will be like :-

During free service (1,2,3):-

Consumables costs ard 1k

During paid service(4th onwards):-

Total costs comes to ard 1.5k - 2k

Regarding the spare costs, its pretty reasonable considering the cost & class of the vehicle. So, you dont need to worry about much. Even the side fairing costs less than 2k.

I would advise you to wait for newer releases (2015) if you can save upto 2L else go for a used 250R if you need them urgently.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys. I think i will wait for next gen CBR250R.
Arijitb and karthick raja : Thanks for your info about maintenance costs.
Rollerdude : i am not considering any other bike as it was love at first sight with CBR250R repsol edition.

Hello Superhornet why not go for the current CBR250 Repsol edition? Who knows when the bikes might be launched and this generation CBR is a tried and trusted product. The new one may come up with many niggles. My personal opinion.

Thread Starter #9
Hello Superhornet why not go for the current CBR250 Repsol edition? Who knows when the bikes might be launched and this generation CBR is a tried and trusted product. The new one may come up with many niggles. My personal opinion.
Repsol edition is not available in non ABS variant for current gen CBR250R. OTR price of repsol ABS is 2.08L in my city which i can't afford ATM :(
I'll wait for next gen 150/250. If they are not launched by oct next year, i will buy current gen CBR.

Repsol edition is not available in non ABS variant for current gen CBR250R. OTR price of repsol ABS is 2.08L in my city which i can't afford ATM :(
I'll wait for next gen 150/250. If they are not launched by oct next year, i will buy current gen CBR.
If you want I can suggest something- Why not come to Delhi and buy it and then get it transported. It well be cheaper overall.

Since you hate the current design, then why are you even considering buying it?

You seem to have saved the money with a lot of hard work, and do what appeals to your heart.
As AMG said,

It is your hard earned money and you dont like the current design much,so continue with your current FZ,(which ran12K km only)for atleast one more year. Sometimes your heart may find some other love[evil] in the timespan. So that you can save more money,use your current bike better and invest in better bike.

Though you are not interested in any other model, for my own satisfaction, i should tell you to check out Duke 390, which has a faired version also launched.

Thread Starter #12

If you want I can suggest something- Why not come to Delhi and buy it and then get it transported. It well be cheaper overall.
That's not possible, i will have to buy it from local showrooms only or from local sellers (incase of used CBR). I might move to delhi for further studies next year, will consider buying 2015 CBR150/250 from there.

As AMG said,

It is your hard earned money and you dont like the current design much,so continue with your current FZ,(which ran12K km only)for atleast one more year. Sometimes your heart may find some other love[evil] in the timespan. So that you can save more money,use your current bike better and invest in better bike.

Though you are not interested in any other model, for my own satisfaction, i should tell you to check out Duke 390, which has a faired version also launched.
RC390 seems uncomfortable, comfort is important for me as my current bike causes butt pain when is mout/dismount the saddle for more than 4 times.
Duke 390 seems like a good choice but i don't think i can save more than 1.7L even if i save for one more year. plus high octane petrol isn't available in my city. moreover i might not be able to bear the maintenance costs of this bike. Reliability is also one of my primary requirements, people are reporting broken alloys, blown gasket, leaking coolant and other issues in biking forums.
The main reason i am not considering any other bike is because it was love at first sight with CBR250R repsol edition.

bharathbigb: No hyosung for me, i dislike that brand due to their non existant A.S.S and high price.

So Not even a Yamaha R15 or the TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS ? Both are fast and can keep up with the CBR 250R,Maintainence is Low,Price is Cheaper,Spare Parts are Cheaper,Mileage is Higher ! Thank you

Thread Starter #14
So Not even a Yamaha R15 or the TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS ? Both are fast and can keep up with the CBR 250R,Maintainence is Low,Price is Cheaper,Spare Parts are Cheaper,Mileage is Higher ! Thank you
Still, they are not the CBR Repsol limited edition. I never cared about honda or their CBR series. Only when i saw a Repsol limited edition 250R in a local showroom, I fell in love with it [roll]. Other than that there is no reason for me to upgrade. Not interested in apache, R15, R25, RC, HX250 or other bikes.

OK Then,Mr.Superhornet.The CBR250R is going to be replaced by the CBR300R Soon.But Good luck with that.BTW,Will you get ABS in the Repsol Edition ?

Top Bottom