Need Bike Advice: TVS Apache RTR 180 vs Yamaha FZ-S

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys!
I have some confusions regarding which bike can give me more power, performance and handling? I have three bikes in my mind. APACHE RTR 180 cc, YAMAHA FZ-S v2.0 and YAMAHA FZ-S. My height is 5'8.
Please share your opinion and suggest me a good bike.

Re: Refreshed TVS Apache - Now Launched

Hi guys!
I have some confusions regarding which bike can give me more power, performance and handling? I have three bikes in my mind. APACHE RTR 180 cc, YAMAHA FZ-S v2.0 and YAMAHA FZ-S. My height is 5'8.
The Apache RTR 180 ABS will be the best for you.If your budget allows,go for the RTR 180 with ABS.The RTR has 30cc more than the Yamaha Brothers.The ABS is a Life-saving Feauture.It prevents from the Brakes from locking and skidding.It has 17.3 Bhp on Tap and it's very raw.While the Tyres are Pathetic,It still gives good grip at dry roads.Your height also will be perfect for the RTR as it is suited for Short riders.I am just 15 and I am 5'6 and I have sat in it and I could reach both my legs fully without my footwear.If you get the RTR 180 ABS,Yours will be the first Apache RTR 180 ABS V2 in The Automotive India.Thank you

Hi guys!
Please give some more requirements.
First tell your budget.
If you drive sedate, Go for FZ Fi series or if you are somewhat a speed enthusiast then no doubt go for the Apache RTR series.
Want More power ? Go for Apache RTR or Want More mileage - Go for Yamaha FZ Fi series.
Where do you use this bike ? If city driving, Go for Apache RTR. If Highway driving, Go for Yamaha FZ. Though I would not suggest both these bikes if you drive in highways because they are not fit for highways. Go for a faired bikes if you use on highways.

And stop here and start a new thread in The Automotive Shopper -> The Bike Shopper section.

Hi guys!
Power = Apache RTR 180

Performance (do you know what you mean by 'performance?') = Apache RTR 180

Handling = Yamaha FZ-S v2.0 (4mm shorter swingarm than the FZ-S)

@Sam
I think Apache RTR and FZ has similiar handling.
Moreover Apache sports Clip Ons and FZ sports short handlebar.

BigB !!!
Where are you ? Only one post in this thread ?
Come, post all the technical, physical, chemical, mechanical, all types of xxical explanation of the Apache RTR to TS like how you adviced me !

Last edited:
Both bikes are good in the city and for the short trips.

Both bikes are good in initial pickup.

Fz engine is more refined and has more stablity, grip on the road due to fatter tires.

Apache will give better milage and required only less maintenance, but a crude engine comapred to all in the segment. Vibrations will increse according to speed and the total km run.

In case you are riding more on highway or open roads or you have more than 50km daily ride, then look for other options.

Comparing FZ and Apache RTR is like comparing Spiderman and Batman[;)]! Both have their awesome status in their own segment. Yamaha in engine refinement and TVS in Adrenaline Rush.
Try/TD both bikes and choose the one which is comfortable for you!

rtr 180: better top end performance. managed to hit a top speed of 121( speedo was showing 135) once during a long drive. seating postion does make you tierd on long drives, only bike with abs in the 1 lakh segment, new rtr 180 is vibe free when compared to old model, but there is vibes past 90, only negilible, very good handling

change the crap tvs tires and get michellin, you have a excpetional handling bike.

i'm a bit skeptical when your needs are power and you want fz-s,fz. bike feels stressed above 80, this has to do with power reduction in the new fi engine. fz has better mileage compared to rtr. fz is also a good handling, but rtr is just that little bit better.

in the refinement deaprtment, fz is light years ahead of rtr. there are no vibes even though the engine feels stressed. the poor top end has to be due to gearing and reduced power.

going by your physique, i feel that rtr feels small for you. i'm 5.9 and 75, when i rode the rtr, i felt it too small and cramped. size wise fz is a better for you.

if you are city dweller, go for fz v2, if you hit the highways it's going to be rtr 180. realblity and maintainence wise yamaha scores more than tvs.

Thread Starter #12

Please give some more requirements.
First tell your budget.
If you drive sedate, Go for FZ Fi series or if you are somewhat a speed enthusiast then no doubt go for the Apache RTR series.
Want More power ? Go for Apache RTR or Want More mileage - Go for Yamaha FZ Fi series.
Where do you use this bike ? If city driving, Go for Apache RTR. If Highway driving, Go for Yamaha FZ. Though I would not suggest both these bikes if you drive in highways because they are not fit for highways. Go for a faired bikes if you use on highways.

And stop here and start a new thread in The Automotive Shopper -> The Bike Shopper section.

My budget is 1 lakh. I live in Bangalore. I am a Software Engineer. Mostly, i use a bike for office in week days. But, in weekends, we trip for city outskirts.

Buddy,
you are comparing a 150cc with a 180cc. If performance is your requirement, then Apache is a no brainer at all. Since, you are considering a 150cc I will add another to the list. Why not look at the Hero Hunk as well. Good looks, superb riding position, looks big even in front of a Apache and a FZ and good stability (though tires are a let down) and a good engine as well though a bit strained above 85-90 km/h but it is a good bike nevertheless and stops in a straight line even in wet conditions without any fuss. I don't want to confuse you and if you have any other reason to only consider these two bikes, the I think Apache should be your choice.

Thread Starter #15
Buddy,
you are comparing a 150cc with a 180cc. If performance is your requirement, then Apache is a no brainer at all. Since, you are considering a 150cc I will add another to the list. Why not look at the Hero Hunk as well. Good looks, superb riding position, looks big even in front of a Apache and a FZ and good stability (though tires are a let down) and a good engine as well though a bit strained above 85-90 km/h but it is a good bike nevertheless and stops in a straight line even in wet conditions without any fuss. I don't want to confuse you and if you have any other reason to only consider these two bikes, the I think Apache should be your choice.
I have already had Hunk in past for 2 years. Kind of bored from this bike. My final choices i made after a long research. Thought of Gixxer. But, again its the replica of FZS.

Top Bottom