Yamaha ss 125 vs. Hero Ignitor

Thread Starter #1
Hello, Everyone. I am confused between Yamaha ss 125 and hero Ignitor. I want a bike which have mileage of about 50-55 in city and 55-60 in highway. I a college student and will use the bike for mostly commuting, however i would be travelling 50 km twice in the week. I would not like to compromise on comfort as long drive are there in my schedule.
I have read lots of good review about Yamaha ss 125, however I have two concerns
1st Its servicing charge are significantly higher than hero
2nd people are telling me not to trust Yamaha on mileage, otherwise they say yamaha is best
I can pay those extra 200 bucks provided if its worth to pay them.

Ignitor's look has been attracting me and I would say its only the looks of ignitor that have stopped me to buy Yamaha ss 125. I have heard from people that ignitor is good for city but not for highway also its average come out to be lower than Yamaha.
so the whole point is should I trust Yamaha on the mileage or stuck to more conventional hero brand's ignitor Which has good looks and trusted track record of Mileage ?

Re: Yamaha ss 125 v. Hero Ignitor

Please do not go for Both in case you expecting power and milage. You will not be satisfied with that. Go and pick any 150 CC bikes, they will be better than these 125cc bikes in both cases. These models are not success in the market too.

Last edited:

I am not Bajaj fan but still I say that you should easily opt for Pulsar 150cc. I used that bike for 4.5 years for around 40K KMs and it was almost trouble free except some frequent chain issue.

Bike is good for highway as well as city ride and you can get 45+ mileage easily.

Other option can be Discover, however I do not like Discover as they keep changing the models and yo donot know when your latest model is no more latest.

You probably looking for both Power & FE. So you have few choice in your plate,

- TVS Phoenix [Bike with good feature and a promising bike]
- Bajaj 135 LS [4 value, Powerful among all, Looks good, I wouldn't prefer to go for Bajaj..I really had a bad experience with Bajaj]
- Hero Ignitor [Good for young, good features]
- Honda Stunner [Almost same as Ignitor; a little better in terms of quality. I think FI engine available]
- Honda Shine [Proven its capabilities from long time. But look doesn't appeal to young college guys]

You can go for TD for above mentioned bike. Style, Performance and Cost will change your opinion about all.

As said by all,I am also telling you.Don't go for the Ignitor and the SS 125.I would recommend the TVS Phoenix 125 or the Discover 125 ST or Mahindra Centuro 110.These 3 commuters offer excellent feautures and a decent ride quality and a very good Mileage figurer.If you want weekend smiles,Go for the Apache RTR 160.Has a good performance and mileage.It will look way better.Thank you

Yes.Mr.General.The 150F and 150S is a Superb Bike.Only thing IMHO,The 150F looks a bit wierd when seen with other Discover bikes.I forgot you said about comfort.If comfort is main,Close both of your eyes and go for the FZ !!! Thank you

Thread Starter #8
Thank you every one for your opinion. I actually don't want a hard core commuter as in which gives 65-70 mileage. What I want is a modest mileage of about 50 in city, Most 150 cc bike will not give that, apart from discover. That is why I choose 125 cc segment. I don't want high speed either. I want a bike which can run at about 70 kmph without any vibration and which gives 50 kmpl in city.
I want a mix of both performance ( only till 70 kmph ) and mileage (50 kmpl).
Most of the commuter mentioned don't look good for college going student that's why I have not considered. Regarding discover it feels a bit less premium.

Hello, Everyone. I am confused between Yamaha ss 125 and hero Ignitor. I want a bike which have mileage of about 50-55 in city and 55-60 in highway. I a college student and will use the bike for mostly commuting, however i would be travelling 50 km twice in the week. I would not like to compromise on comfort as long drive are there in my schedule.
I have read lots of good review about Yamaha ss 125, however I have two concerns
1st Its servicing charge are significantly higher than hero
2nd people are telling me not to trust Yamaha on mileage, otherwise they say yamaha is best
I can pay those extra 200 bucks provided if its worth to pay them.

Ignitor's look has been attracting me and I would say its only the looks of ignitor that have stopped me to buy Yamaha ss 125. I have heard from people that ignitor is good for city but not for highway also its average come out to be lower than Yamaha.
so the whole point is should I trust Yamaha on the mileage or stuck to more conventional hero brand's ignitor Which has good looks and trusted track record of Mileage ?
If you are looking between these two bikes my vote goes to ignitor..average is quite good on highway. I own a hero ignitor from last two years not even a single issue except rear brakes require a little more push. But it is surely a head turner on road and as you are in college...you will love this ride.[;)]

Thank you every one for your opinion. I actually don't want a hard core commuter as in which gives 65-70 mileage. What I want is a modest mileage of about 50 in city, Most 150 cc bike will not give that, apart from discover. That is why I choose 125 cc segment. I don't want high speed either. I want a bike which can run at about 70 kmph without any vibration and which gives 50 kmpl in city.
I want a mix of both performance ( only till 70 kmph ) and mileage (50 kmpl).
Most of the commuter mentioned don't look good for college going student that's why I have not considered. Regarding discover it feels a bit less premium.
125CC bikes reach70 km/hr more speed but none of them are neither comfortable nor give better milage when you ride above 60km/hr. That is why i suggested you to look out 150 CC segment. I owned and used a gladiator type JA for more than 3 years and 80K km which is now available as SS125 in yamaha stable. Quality wise this bike is not good and milage was varrying in vast difference according to ride.

Igniter is the hero version of Honda Stunner which was not selling well and stopped production now.

In 150CC we have very capable bikes available which can ride continusoly above 70km and still you get above 45km/ltr without any stress. This will not be possible in a 125 CC bike. Best options are Honda unicorn/trigger and Suzuki GS 150R. Though pulsar 150 is also good in milage it is going to be replaced by 150NS

Top Bottom