Help Selecting First Bike For Rs.1.2 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
I want to buy my first bike. As obvious I have very little idea about what would be the right choice for me. My requirements are these (in priority order):
1. I am of low build (5'4" and not at all muscular). So need a low seat height bike.
2. Budget upto 1,20,000
3. Mileage should be 40+
4. Daily usage would be 25-30 kms(city)
5. Sporty looks

My initial choices are:
1. Apache rtr 180
2. Yamaha r15
3. Bajaj pulsar 150

I want to buy within 10 days. So need help soon.

1. I am of low build (5'4" and not at all muscular). So need a low seat height bike.
Apache is better
2. Budget upto 1,20,000
You can go for R15 but get to know whether you can handle the sporty stance for 25-30 kms in traffic! DON'T waste your money on Pulsar 150.
3. Mileage should be 40+
R15 gives 35-40 kmpl and Apache RTR 180 gives 38-44 kmpl. These figures depend on the riding style.
4. Daily usage would be 25-30 kms(city)
Same as 2nd option for R15 but Apache is comfortable for some and for some not! Test drive both and decide.
5. Sporty looks
R15 is the best looker here. Apache is not far behind on looks.

Your final call choices are:
1. Apache rtr 180
2. Yamaha r15
Answers and final choices on bold!
Why don't you have a look at Honda CBR150R?
BTW, Best Of Luck on your new ride[clap]

The TVS Apache RTR 180 clearly wins here.So True that for some it will feel Comfortable and for some its a different Story.Remember You WILL get ABS in The TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS (On-road Priced around 95K).Ust the Other 25K for some light Mods.Please Change both of those TVS Tyres after Buying.Install Pirelli or Ceat.Install a K&N Air Filter and you are good to go !! Thank you.

I'll anytime prefer Avenger 220 over any other if I were in place of you.

Very comfortable to ride and powerful too.

Is Apache is good for 5 feet 7 inches of height and 60-65 Kgs of weight?Im asking because I felt Apache is too heavy after sitting on it.Im considering Vespa VX/S125 and Avenger.I felt Avenger is best for me due to low seating.Which is the best light weight bike for 90K-1L?I almost decided Vespa as my next ride.I felt Avenger light in weight after checking my cousin's ride.I already learnt driving with our Access and I'm perfectly driving the two wheeler since Jan 2014.And,I checked CBR250R today and I felt okay with its weight.

Last edited:
Is Apache is good for 5 feet 7 inches of height and 60-65 Kgs of weight?Im asking because I felt Apache is too heavy after sitting on it.Im considering Vespa VX/S125 and Avenger.I felt Avenger is best for me due to low seating.Which is the best light weight bike for 90K-1L?I almost decided Vespa as my next ride.I felt Avenger light in weight after checking my cousin's ride.I already learnt driving with our Access and I'm perfectly driving the two wheeler since Jan 2014.And,I checked CBR250R today and I felt okay with its weight.
Vespa is good and rare, I have booked Vespa S and getting delivery by Today evening.
But Bike and scooters cannot be compared, for short rides or city rides, you can opt for it but for highway commute bike is always preferred over scooters.

the obvious choices are pulsar 200ns, apache rtr 180, new karizma zmr. i would suggest you to go for pulsar 200ns. i took a test drive of new zmr.

postives:

1. good illumination from the head light.
2. more compact design compared to old model.
3. bike feels confident thanks 120 section rear tyre.
4. the bump in power is felt right from the start. was able to touch 103 on the speedo.
5. the mid range is really sweet and the bike just flies

was doing at 60 in 5th gear with a showroom guy as pillion( we were both heavy). got the chance to check the acceleration. even with a pillion the bike pulled cleanly from 60 to 103 on the speedo without real effort. it seems EBR guys has worked on the mid range power delivery. will be a great bike for touring

negatives:

1. seats. pillion comfort is lesser than old model.
2. the bulky bike syndrome affects you in traffic.

it retains all the key features like ride quality, relaxed engine, excellent suspension for any roads.

Last edited:
R15 is a great bike for beginners who look for cornering and track capabilities and also feels nimble in city commuting. While Pulsar 200ns is overall a better package in terms of comfort, cruising ability and performance. So, choose your pick. CBR150 , duke are beyond your budget by atleast 20k.

First of all my apologies to OP for hijacking his thread since I have decided to get a R15 v2 by the end of this month and wanted some feedback. Is it possible to change the pillion seat of R15 v2 or maybe put some extra cushion so that the seat feels comfortable for the person at back? If yes then where can I get it done in Bangalore? Thanks in advance for replies.

Top Bottom