Suggestions For a New Bike Under Rs.85K

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Presently I am using a Honda Unicorn (Model 2006) for my daily commute. It has already clocked down 86,000 km and now started showing it's age. Looking for a new bike now.

My requirements are:
1. Reliability (no frequent visit to A.S.S.)
2. Fuel Efficiency
3. Low Maintenance
4. Riding Comfort for both rider & pillion.
5. Budget approx. 80-85K on road,
6. Engine Displacement should be 150CC.

My options are:
1. Honda CB Trigger (I am slightly biased on this model knowing their reliability)
2. Hero CBZ Extreme
3. Pulsar 150 dtsi
4. Yamaha FZS
5. TVS Apache 160
6. 1-2 years used RE Classic 350

Please suggest :help:

Re: Suggestions for a Bike

IMO, P150 Dtsi ticks all the six boxes of your requirement list.
RTR 160 will come as a close contender based on your requirement but its ride quality is a debatable point.

if fuel efficiency also is your requirement then don't go for RE. well, you could keep it as second bike just for cruising at 50-60 speed limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. First of all why only 150cc when you can get more at your Price point ?

The Pulsar 150 and the CB Trigger Ticks all those boxes Brilliantly !! But you see,knowing a Honda all these years from 2006,It will be a better service as those guys in Honda will know you as an old customer back again.The Pulsar 150 is kinda common nowadays and misses out some features (Rear disc Brake etc.).I think you can go for the Reliability Guru,Honda CB Trigger.Thank you !

Last edited:
Well as your old ride is a unicorn I assume you are a sedate rider and do not require an agressive bike.
What about looks,safety features requirements?
Reliability + mileage = Honda is your best bet.

I ride a Honda unicorn too and it has completed 24k in 5 years. I have owned bajaj bikes( Bajaj Discover) in the past but if reliability is your concern try to steer clear from Bajaj. I heard from friends that Bajaj's reliability has improved however its not going to be anywhere close to Honda. there maybe frequent niggles which will force you to visit A.S.S often. If low maintenance is what you are looking a used bullet is never going to be a good idea.

From all the options listed above CBZ extreme is a Decent choice and Honda Trigger looks good too. If i may ask, Why not Another unicorn? I know that you have been riding one for many years and you might want a change. But if reliability , fuel efficiency and ride quality is concerned Unicorn is still a very capable bike in today's scenario in spite of being 10 years old.

Also test ride yamaha FZS. its an amazing handler but fuel efficiency will be in tune of 35 -40 KMPL.

Last edited:
I suggest you to go for CBZ extreme with rear disc brake or Suzuki GS 150 R, a second option. I am using Gs 150 R for the past 4 years and the current Odo reading is 65K KM. Within 3 months, Suzuki will launch another 150 CC bike, Gixxer.

The other options you mentioned lacks one or other department.

1. Honda CB Trigger - it is same old dazzler with kick start i think and it is a market failure. You can go for new unicorn instead of this one, though that lacks digital console and rear disc brake.

2. Hero CBZ Extreme- You will get little less milage compared to unicorn. Though it is same engine comes with a different tuning.

3. Pulsar 150 dtsi - Old model. I heard Bajaj will introduce all new pulsar 150 this year itself. Reliablity is a concern if your usage incresed and i felt the riding comfort is also low compared to other models.

4. Yamaha FZS- though it is the current trend, Milgae and maintenance is a concern when you want to use it as a daily ride.

5. TVS Apache 160- With the new front, Apache become the flop model in market. lacking riding comfort.TVs planing for an all new apache by 2015.

6. 1-2 years used RE Classic 350- Milage? low maintenance?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
My requirements are:
1. Reliability (no frequent visit to A.S.S.): CBZ Extreme (has a kick starter)
2. Fuel Efficiency: Pulsar 150 DTSi
3. Low Maintenance: All are low maintenance except RE Classic 350
4. Riding Comfort for both rider & pillion.:CBZ Extreme
5. Budget approx. 80-85K on road:All are within budget
6. Engine Displacement should be 150CC: All are near 150cc except RE Classic 350

My options are:
1. Honda CB Trigger: Can consider
2. Hero CBZ Extreme: Can consider
3. Pulsar 150 dtsi: Can consider
4. Yamaha FZS: Relatively low fuel efficiency
5. TVS Apache 160: Not very comfortable
6. 1-2 years used RE Classic 350: Forget it
Answers in bold.

Reliability, fuel efficiency, low maintenance in your requirements and considering Bullet 350 [lol] are you kidding me? Simply forget RE 350 as Sam said.
Pulsar 150 , Honda CB trigger and CBZ Extreme are good and VFM bikes.

Thread Starter #12
Hi. First of all why only 150cc when you can get more at your Price point ?

The Pulsar 150 and the CB Trigger Ticks all those boxes Brilliantly !! But you see,knowing a Honda all these years from 2006,It will be a better service as those guys in Honda will know you as an old customer back again.The Pulsar 150 is kinda common nowadays and misses out some features (Rear disc Brake etc.).I think you can go for the Reliability Guru,Honda CB Trigger.Thank you !
Thanks for your suggestion. I am planning to go for a test ride for Honda CB trigger by this weekend [:)]

Well as your old ride is a unicorn I assume you are a sedate rider and do not require an agressive bike.
What about looks,safety features requirements?
Reliability + mileage = Honda is your best bet.
I ride a Honda unicorn too and it has completed 24k in 5 years. I have owned bajaj bikes( Bajaj Discover) in the past but if reliability is your concern try to steer clear from Bajaj. I heard from friends that Bajaj's reliability has improved however its not going to be anywhere close to Honda. there maybe frequent niggles which will force you to visit A.S.S often. If low maintenance is what you are looking a used bullet is never going to be a good idea.

From all the options listed above CBZ extreme is a Decent choice and Honda Trigger looks good too. If i may ask, Why not Another unicorn? I know that you have been riding one for many years and you might want a change. But if reliability , fuel efficiency and ride quality is concerned Unicorn is still a very capable bike in today's scenario in spite of being 10 years old.

Also test ride yamaha FZS. its an amazing handler but fuel efficiency will be in tune of 35 -40 KMPL.
Thanks Midknight and Sumesh, after using Unicorn for last 8 years, I want something which will be as good as Unicorn or better than that in terms of reliability, ride quality and FE. I do not need any aggressive bike. Mostly I ride within 50-60 kmph, occasionally 70kmph. not beyond that. Looks is not very important to me, but safety features is important.

Sumesh, You just read my mind "Why not Another unicorn?". I will really consider this option also

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Midknight and Sumesh, after using Unicorn for last 8 years, I want something which will be as good as Unicorn or better than that in terms of reliability, ride quality and FE. I do not need any aggressive bike. Mostly I ride within 50-60 kmph, occasionally 70kmph. not beyond that. Looks is not very important to me, but safety features is important.

Sumesh, You just read my mind "Why not Another unicorn?". I will really consider this option also
Test ride Suzuki GS 150 R please. Your requirements really suites this bike.

Go for Honda CB Trigger since you have owned a Honda before and would like Honda's reliability. There have been reliability concerns in Bajaj's bikes. Also, RE Classic 350 can be a big pain to maintain and also it has pretty less FE. Go for Honda CB Trigger or Yamaha FZ.

Top Bottom