Need Advice on Buying Vespa VX For My Wife

Thread Starter #1
Hi Exerts,

My wife is asking me for a vehicle (2 or 4 wheeler) and she has short-listed Vespa VX and HH Mastero. She is keen to buy Vespa as its looking trendy but here in Hyderabad, the on Road price Quoted including accessories is around 87k [frustration] VS HH Mastero around 60K (jaw dropping 27K Difference)

Is is worthy to spend 27K extra for Vespa? any review if possible could help me in making decision.

Also How reliable is it to take a small used car (like M800/Nano/Zen) for the same price instead of going for new vespa.

Thanks in advance

Vijay Bhargav

Hi Vijay!

To be honest, buying the Vespa just for the looks will be quite an exuberant waste of money. Simply put if all you want is a gearless 2 wheeler, there are many other options which are not only cheaper but a lot better. Vespa is just a fashion statement.

The Maestro is actually a better choice, but you might also want to consider the TVS Jupiter, Suzuki Access and Yamaha Ray.

Buying a used car is heavily dependent on one's confidence with mechanics, I would only suggest it to those who are relatively sure that they can inspect the vehicle thoroughly to make sure the vehicle is in sound condition or people who can carry out small maintenance tasks themselves. Otherwise you could buy from a certified showroom like Maruti True Value, since they give warranty. For less than 1 lakh, it will be tricky to get a good used car, but if you stretch to 1.5 or 2 lakhs you have a chance of getting a decent 4 wheeler.

I would put my money on mastero or jupiter and also the scooty. reason is well established brands. LML has a bad habit of quiting market suddenly.

used cars when bought carefully and driven carefully are easy to maintain. you can find good deals for old alto for 1.5 to 2 lakhs.

Actually, this vespa is being manufactured by Piaggio not LML. But I concede with your analysis.

I agree about used cars as well, I think if cared for they can be as reliable as new ones! If this is something you are comfortable with, you will probably be happy with stretching your budget to buy a used car.

Test ride both and you will feel the difference. We are using Activa for 4 years but when took a test ride of Vespa , I felt the following difference:

+ve of Vespa
1: Powerful engine and excellent pickup
2: Classic look
3: Solid metal body
4: Very comfortable seat
5: Nice suspension ( most +ve )
6: Good claimed mileage.
7: World most iconic scooter brand

+ve of Activa
1: Very reliable and proven
2: Smooth engine
3: Good legroom
4: Decent power

-ve of Activa
1: Bad front suspension, just like a hero ranger cycle. A little hump and shock can travel to your body.

If I were at your place, would have gone for Vespa top end model.

I had a similar dilemma when i sold my aviator and was contemplating purchase of maestro/activa/vespa. In my case I was in love with vespa. I decided to go with my heart not being too practical. Have done 2 servicings no problems whatsoever. I do own a car but I prefer taking my vespa in the city. Some of the positives are easy to ride, solid suspension, good mileage and symbol of envy.Only Negative is the price.There are tons of activas , maestro parked in a line. And i find mine easy to Spot.[:)].

@bhargav

Being well-versed with Hyderabad traffic situation at the moment where lot of Metro work is going on

In safety and pollution point of view a small 4 wheeler like M800/Nano is always best, but need to have little patience while in bumper to bumper traffic routes along side of Metro. According to me this is the best option.

If you still like to go for a gear-less scooter, then buying vespa is waste of money(no offence for any owners here) for what it offers unless if you do not care for the budget and the kind of its daily use. My personal suggestion would be to check Jupitor/Wego which are reliable and offers great comfort with telescopic suspension and big size wheels. The maintenance is also cheap from TVS.

Go buy a Matiz with Power steering under 40K and Restore it for 30K and you are good to go. Its Defenitley Not Worth for a Vespa at that Price

@bhargav

Being well-versed with Hyderabad traffic situation at the moment where lot of Metro work is going on

In safety and pollution point of view a small 4 wheeler like M800/Nano is always best, but need to have little patience while in bumper to bumper traffic routes along side of Metro. According to me this is the best option.

If you still like to go for a gear-less scooter, then buying vespa is waste of money(no offence for any owners here) for what it offers unless if you do not care for the budget and the kind of its daily use. My personal suggestion would be to check Jupitor/Wego which are reliable and offers great comfort with telescopic suspension and big size wheels. The maintenance is also cheap from TVS.
I agree. The vespa is shockingly overpriced for what it offers, especially when you consider most of those features are available even on the most basic domestic scooters.

TVS is also a better-established brand so you won't have to worry about obtaining parts and service no matter how long you keep your scooty for.

With Piaggio on the other hand, you never know when they decide to stop selling the Vespa, in which case you will have nobody to turn to. The resale value is also likely to be dismally low.

Go buy a Matiz with Power steering under 40K and Restore it for 30K and you are good to go. Its Defenitley Not Worth for a Vespa at that Price
A Matiz? No offence but getting parts and service for it will be an absolute nightmare! And restoration work is not something feasible considering he needs the vehicle soon.

Mr.Viru, You are in Delhi Right ?? No Problem for Spares. Trust Me My Friend Owns One (Bought on 2009) and he is in Chennai. He says that Nothing goes wrong rather than routine Checkups.

Mr.Viru, You are in Delhi Right ?? No Problem for Spares. Trust Me My Friend Owns One (Bought on 2009) and he is in Chennai. He says that Nothing goes wrong rather than routine Checkups.
Are you sure? A friend of mine had to sell her Matiz 4 years ago because nobody could get spares for it anymore, and otherwise they were way too overpriced.

I have heard Most part of Beat fit to matiz so shouldn't that solve the purpose
You mean the Spark. Only some parts like suspension, exhaust, floorpan and fuel supply are shared AFAIK, but the engine was reworked slightly by Chevy for better emissions so some parts may not fit/work.

Top Bottom